PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive or Windows Problem?

einstein_314
11-26-05, 02:54 PM
For the last few days, everytime I start up my computer, windows has to run checkdisk on my documents drive. It is formatted in NTFS. I've never had windows ever have to check it even after hitting the reset button. But now it does everytime even when it was shut down properly. Is this a sign of my Hard Drive starting to fail? I just replaced my other one because it was hard locking my computer (And was making weird noises).

rewt
11-26-05, 05:30 PM
Backup anything important just in case. Then go in your system BIOS and enable S.M.A.R.T for hard disks. Boot into Windows and install a program like Speedfan and/or ActiveSmart to check the drive's SMART status. That will give you some info as to whether or not the drive is really going bad.

einstein_314
11-26-05, 05:52 PM
I downloaded western digitals smart guardian program and it says they are fine. Gives me a big green check mark for SMART status. I'm starting to think that maybe it's the drives. My WD that failed 2 weeks ago was bought at the same time as this one. The serial numbers were very close to each other. Maybe a faulty batch? Thanks for the reply though.