PDA

View Full Version : 7800GTX *512*alternative air coolers

Golden Boy
11-26-05, 03:37 PM
I wanted to ask around if any of the other GTX512Meg users has already changed the cooler of the card, for example with a Zalman VF700 or something else.

If you have - pls post with some pics and temps before/after

Thanks.

fatal1ty
11-26-05, 05:22 PM
I wanted to ask around if any of the other GTX512Meg users has already changed the cooler of the card, for example with a Zalman VF700 or something else.

If you have - pls post with some pics and temps before/after

Thanks.

I have another NV Silencer rev 3 sitting here NIB but Im waiting to see someone else test it on the new card too :cool:

Roliath
11-26-05, 05:37 PM
I had a HUGE write up on this, but my hard drive went dead and took all of my information! I also broke my VF700cu trying to mod it, so I have another one on the way and I WILL put that on next week and post results.

Also the 512MB GTX heatsink is killing my chipset temperatures! The VF700Cu will help in that area.
And from my testing, I found that out of 15 or so test I ran F.E.A.R. brought the temperature of card the highest higher than RTHDRIBL by at 4c (I ran F.E.A.R for 20mins, and RTHDRIBL for 30).

fatal1ty
11-26-05, 05:52 PM
I had a HUGE write up on this, but my hard drive went dead and took all of my information! I also broke my VF700cu trying to mod it, so I have another one on the way and I WILL put that on next week and post results.

Also the 512MB GTX heatsink is killing my chipset temperatures! The VF700Cu will help in that area.
And from my testing, I found that out of 15 or so test I ran F.E.A.R. brought the temperature of card the highest higher than RTHDRIBL by at 4c (I ran F.E.A.R for 20mins, and RTHDRIBL for 30).

Share the temp results? Was it better than the stock cooler?

shabby
11-26-05, 09:13 PM
Wouldnt it be better to simply increase the rpm of the stock fan? Apperantly it only runs at around 1000rpm, even at 2000 or more it should still be whisper quiet. I think the leadtek card comes with a handy little utility to do this.

Golden Boy
11-27-05, 07:38 AM
Well, i dont think the stock heatsink/fan is bad. Its a good and silent design, as it has a bigger fan - and it looks really cool. My chipset temperature is a bit higher though than with my 256Meg GTX card "modded" with zalman VF700.

I really dont want to replace the stock cooling, unless the Zalman or something else would drop card temps around 6-10 at the same silent noise level, so that it would be worth changing it.

And btw... the Leadtek utility that shabby mentioned is named "winfox" ... works here on my XFX card , can adjust fan speed and stuff...

Greetings

Roliath
11-27-05, 09:30 PM
Share the temp results? Was it better than the stock cooler?
I was only able to complete the testing with the stock cooler, I never got a chance to test the Zalman.
I should also mention that my OCZ BGA Ramsinks were lapped, and so was my VF700cu (but I accidently broke it during a fan swap). the new that comes in next week will be lapped aswell.

Riptide
11-27-05, 10:19 PM
I anxiously await the results of a VF700 test with this card. If there is any cooler out there that could help over the stock it's the Zalman. That thing is awesome. :)