PDA

View Full Version : Moving Harddrives

Vagrant Zero
11-26-05, 09:47 PM
Can I move a 80gb hardrive from a p4 1.8 with 256mb ram and move it to a AMD 63 3200 with 1gb ram? Will the Operating System[ XP SP1] survive or will I need to completely reformat the drive before it'll boot?

macatak
11-26-05, 10:06 PM
Haven't tried it myself but i've heard of people using "Windows Repair" option succesfully

Rytr
11-26-05, 10:11 PM
I have done it on like boards a couple of times and once was successful while another attempt worked but not well. I don't think you will have success going from an Intel chipset board to an AMD.
Just install XP and most, if not all of your files will be available. Safe thing to do is copy the files you need to disk or another harddrive where you can retrieve them if necessary after the fresh install.

ricercar
11-26-05, 10:55 PM
You do NOT have to reformat the drive. You do have to allow XP to update all drivers, including the drivers you never see, like chipset, SMB, PCI bridges, and memory controllers.

A Windows XP installation occasionally can do this itself from the cabs on the hard disk, like when you install new hardware, but be prepred to see a blue screen if you boot from the hard drive. So the safest thing to do is:
1) Boot from the WinXP CDROM as if you were installing from scratch. Do NOT select "recovery console."
2) After you press F8 for EULA, you have a choice to repair or install new. Choose repair.
3) Do NOT reformat the file system. Select the option for "Leave file system intact."
4) Let the installer do its thing.

You should not have to re-install your applications or nework configuration.

superklye
11-26-05, 10:59 PM
I wish I knew a long time ago that this worked. :mad:

Well...I guess I know now for the future...

TierMann
11-26-05, 11:13 PM
I couldn't even get into safe mode (blue screen and reboot) when I switched my winxp drive from a 1.3ghz celeron to an athlon xp 3000+ board. So like ricercar said. You just choose Repair instead of new install. Worked for me. All my saved games, application settings and registry keys were still there.

Vagrant Zero
11-26-05, 11:18 PM
Sweet, thanks for the info guys.

Riptide
11-26-05, 11:38 PM
It will boot but I would still reinstall the OS down the road when it is convenient to do so.

Absolution
11-27-05, 04:41 PM
i didnt even do anything but boot my system up and it started redetecting the hardware...

then again... that was an nforce 3 to an nforce 4

ViN86
11-27-05, 06:04 PM
I wish I knew a long time ago that this worked. :mad:

Well...I guess I know now for the future...
heh, you live you learn eh klye? i had no idea either :o