PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade CPU or Video Card?

sirplayalot
11-27-05, 10:07 AM
I have an Athlon 64 3500+ and a Geforce 6800GT...

Which one do you think i should upgrade, if i had to pick one.

MtViewGuy
11-27-05, 10:34 AM
In your situation, I'd probably try to upgrade RAM to maximum allowable by the motherboard first. Having enough RAM can dramatically improve system performance, since you will rarely (if ever) need to use hard disk space for memory paging, a process that can dramatically slow down your system. :)

I believe the GeForce FX 6800GT is fast enough to even do the very sophisticated 3-D menuing effects in the upcoming Windows Vista that is likely due in Fall 2006.

ricercar
11-27-05, 10:57 AM
RAM to 2G. Keep the CPU and GPU.

MUYA
11-27-05, 11:17 AM
hmm I dunno about 2G either...wait for next gen 3d cards and CPUs ... and memory :)

Dr_s99
11-27-05, 11:25 AM
well you might want to upgrade your ram :P

but right now i think your system is good enough!
(i mean its better then my systems :P)

---- hehe i can't wait i'm going to get my new system ( its not new if you look at the hardware though..)
it has a AIW 9700 pro, Intel 3.0Ghz HT, Gigabyte motherboard ..!
its actually my brother system but finally i want able to get him to get a SLI :P
he got a Dual core CPU (intel) w/ SLI motherboard(asus) but he doesn't have a video card or case.he is saving up for a good video card, which he could affort :P he wants something like 6600 or 6800, now i told him to save up so he bought a X500 ( i think ) for $70 and i think he is saving up so he could buy a 7800 :P

Smokey
11-27-05, 03:34 PM
Worth reading this article (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/28cpu-games.html)

ViN86
11-27-05, 06:00 PM
wow, the FX series and the X2 series are incredible compared to intel's chips.
even the athlon 64 3200+ holds its own (beat out the P4 XE 3.73 in at least one game)

btw, regarding which to upgrade, it depends on what youre looking for. if you feel that the games you play already have good framerates at decent settings, but you want more eye candy/better framerates at higher resolutions, then id go with a new video card. if you find that you run your games at medium settings, but dont get enough FPS, then id go with a new CPU. tbh, in either scenario, upgrading to 2GB of ram will help a little bit, but i cant honestly predict how much you would notice it.

mx125race
11-27-05, 08:24 PM
Keep some money in a drawer, start off with as much as the PC budget you got. Coins laying around also helped me out over this year for my PC budget. Add, about every couple of weeks or so, probably $20-30 or some other small amount of what you've earned. Also, be patient. After saving up some money, being wise on what I spend it on, and after my b-day, which i haven't even celebrated yet but still got $160, i have about $700 saved up for my computer. Set up an eBay account and sell stuff on there.

I'd upgrade to X2 4200+ or 4400+ and a 7800GTX KO 256mb... and RAM too...plus the prices drop. so be patient.