PDA

View Full Version : This memory is a piece of...

ViN86
11-27-05, 12:02 PM
ok, so i bought some crucial ballistix pc4000 memory because i thought it would be great. yea right, the memory is a POS. it said that the recommended timings on the crucial website was 3-4-4-8, but under CPUZ, it lists the SPD timings as 3-4-4-10. then, it doenst run at any speeds. i had to default it, and now its running at 200MHz with a latency of 3 and a command rate of 2T.

should i RMA this? is this enough wrong with it to get an RMA? ive tried everything. upping the voltage, messing with timings, and even when i get the memory stably in memtest86, it still doesnt boot into windows and i get BSOD.

thank god i have some low latency pc3200 memory laying around. so, should i RMA or just cut my losses and toss it?

$n][pErMan
11-27-05, 12:58 PM
Assuming you know what you are doing as you claim and thus have tried everything you possibly can in the bios ... id say return it and get yourself some OCZ Platinum 2gigs PC3200 ;) Got that memory a few months ago and love it.

chowells
11-27-05, 01:15 PM
Try a newer BIOS?

superklye
11-27-05, 01:15 PM
ok, so i bought some crucial ballistix pc4000 memory because i thought it would be great. yea right, the memory is a POS. it said that the recommended timings on the crucial website was 3-4-4-8, but under CPUZ, it lists the SPD timings as 3-4-4-10. then, it doenst run at any speeds. i had to default it, and now its running at 200MHz with a latency of 3 and a command rate of 2T.

should i RMA this? is this enough wrong with it to get an RMA? ive tried everything. upping the voltage, messing with timings, and even when i get the memory stably in memtest86, it still doesnt boot into windows and i get BSOD.

thank god i have some low latency pc3200 memory laying around. so, should i RMA or just cut my losses and toss it?
You can't return it for a refund?

And if worse comes to worst, you could always put it on eBay.

mx125race
11-27-05, 02:56 PM
You can't return it for a refund?

And if worse comes to worst, you could always put it on eBay.

:p i sold my gamecube on eBay. hehe i got the payment and everything and shipped it and the lady never replied if she got it or not...then ill sell this vid card and my 5200FX and my old 1gb of pc2700 RAM to add to the funds of my pc budget for christmas...maybe i should sell my 4x512 corsair and go with 2x1gb ocz ram...

eBay ain't too bad if you use PayPal and only conduct sales with trustworthy people...

superklye
11-27-05, 03:10 PM
I love eBay...and hate it. I've spent so much money because of it

Hex
11-27-05, 03:30 PM
I have the same memory and it is running at 1t with no effort at all, and overclocks like a dream.
Either you got a bad batch or it is an ID.10.t error. ;)

slick
11-27-05, 03:48 PM
I would say you got a bad batch, mine runs at stock and overclocked just peachy.

ViN86
11-27-05, 05:55 PM
yea, thats what im starting to figure. my brother has an asus a8v deluxe, so i left the memory with him for him to see if he can get any different results.

i was thinking about putting it on ebay, but i dont want to do that if the sticks are bad. i would never deceive someone like that, because if someone did that to me, id be furious.

i got the memory in may, and its always been a little "if-fy". sometimes i got random restarts and ive been getting errors in windows (even with fresh installs). i think ill shoot off an email to crucial and see what they say. for now, im gonna run my Corsair XMS low latency sticks (man i love these things, theyve always been there for me, heh)

could you guys elaborate on what kind of speeds you have been able to hit? and what timings, voltages, etc?

thx to everyone who has responded ;)
maybe it is time to sell that stuff and make the jump to 2GB.....

$n][pErMan
11-27-05, 06:14 PM
:p i sold my gamecube on eBay. hehe i got the payment and everything and shipped it and the lady never replied if she got it or not...then ill sell this vid card and my 5200FX and my old 1gb of pc2700 RAM to add to the funds of my pc budget for christmas...maybe i should sell my 4x512 corsair and go with 2x1gb ocz ram...

eBay ain't too bad if you use PayPal and only conduct sales with trustworthy people...
I ONLY use paypal on ebay.. I dont trust anything else :p

mx125race
11-27-05, 07:15 PM
[pErMan']I ONLY use paypal on ebay.. I dont trust anything else :p
Well since tihs thread has gone off-topic...

You could always use the feature where you, the buyer, could send the payment to seller's address, and just put counterfeit money in there, or you as the seller, recieve that counterfeit money. I don't understand why someone would use anything else. Ugh, and after that gamecube sale i still have no reply and she left no feedback! OMGWTF!!! No feedback?!!? That's the best part :D

ViN86
11-27-05, 09:49 PM
lol what the.... what about my memory? :p

$n][pErMan
11-27-05, 10:06 PM
lol what the.... what about my memory? :p
Shhhh .. this thread is not about you.... lol :D

Superfly
11-28-05, 11:13 AM
I would say you got a bad batch, mine runs at stock and overclocked just peachy.

Yup - mine runs like a greased weazel!!!!!!

Superfly
11-28-05, 11:14 AM
it lists the SPD timings as 3-4-4-10.

Crucial have ALWAYS set the SPD higher than the rated minimum, I asked them once why this was and they said its for MoBo compatabilty - you should just be able to lower it to the rated speeds in the BIOS.

ViN86
11-28-05, 04:40 PM
yea, i did that, but i get errors....
maybe my mobo cant handle the 250 HTT? i set my HT multi to 4x, so its not like its OC'd.

ViN86
11-29-05, 10:20 AM
well, now im really sure that its the memory. my brother tried running the memory on his A8V Deluxe and he couldnt get into windows at stock timings/speeds. not only that, but he got errors with reaaally loose timings at ddr400 speeds. looks like its time to RMA.....(snowman)

omg, i cant get enough of these christmas smilies, hahaha

Superfly
11-29-05, 10:27 AM
Crucial have the BEST support in the world (from my recent experiences)

Im sure all will go well and quickly!!!!!

Vigi
11-29-05, 04:27 PM
Hey ViN86, sorry to hear about your troubles. I am on my 3rd set of them myself. 1st set I had ran fine at 270 FSB then crapped out about 3 weeks later, 2nd set wouldn't even run at stock speeds without getting errors on memtest. And finally , my 3rd set is running solid at 270 fsb again at 3,3,3,8 1t timings. It's a waiting game for me to see if they crap out again. I ran 15 hours memtest with no errors, and 10 hours of prime with no errors on this last set, but of course my 1st set passed all of that too.

Might want to head on over to this link, we have a thread going on this memory. Seems alot of people have had issues.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29743

ViN86
11-29-05, 08:54 PM
thx guys. its nice to know that im not the only one whos had problems with this memory. its also nice to know that crucial has good support.

the memory im running now, which ive had for almost 2 years now, is rock solid. man, i paid almost $300 back then, but i guess it really pays off to buy good things. im thinkin about RMA'ing the stuff i have, leaving it all packaged, then selling it when i get it.

ViN86
11-30-05, 06:06 PM
well i RMA'd the memory today, and found that you cant actually do a straight up exchange. since they no longer make my 8 chip modules, i have to get a 16 chip module. so they charged my credit card, and will credit it back when they receive my defective ones.

they said they are going to test it to see if i OC'd it. i never pushed it past its rated 500MHz speed, but i did try lower speeds, tighter timings, and higher voltages. do you think that will cause them to believe it was my fault? i never did anything wrong with it really, it just started givin me BSOD's in windows :(

Smokey
11-30-05, 07:01 PM
I wouldnt worry as I would of thought that the memory already has to be tested at the factory at higher than rated speeds, so that they know it will run stable at default speeds? Also do they have a terms and conditions of their warrenty, if they do, does it state anything about overclocking the ram?

ViN86
11-30-05, 07:20 PM
well supposedly, if you OC it, your warranty is void. but the thing is, i really didnt OC it at all. because stock speeds were enough (didnt want to push my cpu past 2.5GHz via 250*10) i never even attempted an OC.

i just started gettin BSOD's and my brother got em on his system too. went back to my corsair and all is well. if they conclude that i OC'd it, they will return the memory to me. think the tests will go well?