PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Problem with drivers!

Fighting Spirit
11-27-05, 01:07 PM
Hello fellow gamers!

One thing I have wondering about for a time is how can I keep all my icons in the same place after uninstalling gfx drivers?

Couse as everywon knows is that the icons in windows jump as they seem fit and its really irritaing dont you think!

Thank in advance!

Fighting Spirit
11-28-05, 05:26 AM
So no one knows ..to bad you probably have the same problem then!

chowells
11-28-05, 05:34 AM
There are several programs to save and restore the desktop icons, can't remember the names but I'm sure they will be easy to find on google or shareware sites.

It happens but doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Smokey
11-28-05, 06:12 AM
right click on desktop and you should see that you have some options concerning the arrangement of icons.

Fighting Spirit
11-28-05, 09:42 AM
There are several programs to save and restore the desktop icons, can't remember the names but I'm sure they will be easy to find on google or shareware sites.

It happens but doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Thank for your reply!
I have not spent to much time over it eiter but have recently started to annoy me hehe..For all my games I have a map in the start meny annyway but have a lot of programs icon on my desk so it would be pretty nice to have them the same but mayby with a prog like that some rest of the old driver would be left and thats not good!

Ah shall dig a little in it and see whats come up :)

OWA
11-28-05, 10:12 AM
If you install over the previous driver instead of removing the old driver first, it'll usually keep your icons intact since it usually doesn't change the resolution.

Fighting Spirit
11-28-05, 11:19 AM
If you install over the previous driver instead of removing the old driver first, it'll usually keep your icons intact since it usually doesn't change the resolution.

Not a very good idea..the first thing ppl ask others who have trouble is have you removed the drivers properly e.x drivercleaner so one should never overwrite the old drivers couse it can then be much troube im afraid!

Thank annyway mate!

OWA
11-28-05, 11:33 AM
Yeah, it's not the recommended way but I almost always do it that way and it always seems to work fine for me. It even keeps all your settings and profiles in tact.

NiukNiuk
11-28-05, 12:13 PM
I use this:
http://www.nthelp.com/50/save_desktop_layout.htm
and it works fine.

Smokey
11-28-05, 12:25 PM
Im not sure on this, so Im just asking for my on knowledge, but if you arrange all your icons the way you want before you install any video drivers, doesnt windows just revert back to that after uninstalling drivers? I hide all icons on my desktop, and I dont unistall old drivers either lol, have done a couple times when Ive had problems, but that was a long time ago.

Fighting Spirit
11-28-05, 12:47 PM
Yeah, it's not the recommended way but I almost always do it that way and it always seems to work fine for me. It even keeps all your settings and profiles in tact.

Yepp understand its absolutely the most conviniont way and why not as long as it works fine :)