PDA

View Full Version : AMD X2 3800+ 64-bit question

mx125race
11-27-05, 07:53 PM
For Christmas I'll be getting the X2 3800+. Quick question, how much of a performance drop will i notice using windows 32? would u recommend me going with x64, if so where can i buy it. Also keep in mind I will be going from a p4 3.0ghz :) Sorry if this is supposed to be in windows forum, thanks.

Riptide
11-27-05, 07:59 PM
I doubt you'll notice much of a decrease in actual Windows usage. Games will probably be about the same vs. what you have now.

While I use X64 and have found it to be a good OS I'm not sure I'm comfortable recommending it any more. It's just not worth the stupid little idiosyncracies. Copy protection that won't work (starforce). Games that need modified installation routines to go on in the first place (Doom3 ROE). Lots of little hassles like that.

If I had to do it over again I think I would've got an OEM 32bit license and waited for Vista before going with 64bit.

mx125race
11-27-05, 08:11 PM
I doubt you'll notice much of a decrease in actual Windows usage. Games will probably be about the same vs. what you have now.

While I use X64 and have found it to be a good OS I'm not sure I'm comfortable recommending it any more. It's just not worth the stupid little idiosyncracies. Copy protection that won't work (starforce). Games that need modified installation routines to go on in the first place (Doom3 ROE). Lots of little hassles like that.

If I had to do it over again I think I would've got an OEM 32bit license and waited for Vista before going with 64bit.

Thanks for the information, I'll probably just go with x32. I'll be playing games with this computer, and doing my own work, i might let my brothers game a tad bit on it... The OEM x32 can be had for around $80 on the egg, which is comforting in case i cant find my other windows disc.

ViN86
11-27-05, 09:52 PM
tbh, you wont notice any difference at all. i ran an x64 demo for a little while and noticed no difference. the only thing x64 allows you to do is access insane amounts of memory, so unless youre using extremely memory intensive 64 bit apps, you probably wont even be able to tell.

anyways, there arent many 64 bit programs out there, and not the greatest 64 bit driver support. go with 32 bit windows, as youre pretty much guaranteed to have your hardware be compatible with it, as youre not with x64. :D