PDA

View Full Version : what raid configuration to use???

bugmage
11-28-05, 12:46 AM
I want to raid 2 80gb sata 2 drives for speed in games and ive read you need 3 or more for raid 5 so my choices (i think are 0 1 and 2), I want performance but dont want to risk the data on the disks so raid 0 is out of there, raid 1 does a copy, will it read off both disks speeding it up 2x?

what do you guys recamend, i have a larger 250gb sata 1 drive, if i could copy the raid drive onto a partition on the 250 gb then i would go with raid 0 and just make a weekly backup

Scott@Bjorn3D
11-28-05, 03:37 AM
Well if your motherboard would let you do it you could do this, I do not know how well it would perform with your drives and you would lose some drive space.

Setup the two 80GB's in RAID 0 and then have the 250GB drive setup as a RAID 1 to the 80GB drives. I have done it for a customer before that did not want to spend the money on a RAID card that would do RAID 5 but wanted speed and data security.

bugmage
11-28-05, 10:29 AM
good idea but ill think about it, can you raid a partiton of a hardrive?

also i can do raid 5 on my motherborad ive just read on the net you need more harddrives, can you set it up with2?

and what about raid 2 will that speed of reads by 2x or just make a 2nd copy?

one more question, if your using a dos partitoning program would it recognize the raid array or say you have 2 different drives, because if i can find a backup program that would recognize the 2 smaller drives in raid 0 then i would just back them up here and there and change the windows default folders for things like my documents and the desktop to the 250 gb drive

einstein_314
11-28-05, 12:56 PM
I would raid 0 the 2 80GB drives for your boot and applications. Then use the 250GB one for your documents and stuff.

As for RAID2, I'm not sure it is really used any more. You're sure your mobo supports it? I think it's like raid0 but does it in a different way. Not sure though...

And you can't RAID a partition of a drive so if you RAID 1'd your 250gb with the 80's in RAID0, you'd loose 90GB of space.

bugmage
11-28-05, 01:37 PM
i think ill go with raid 1, because it should load 2x as fast according to wikipedia which is what i want for games and starting the OS, and opening files, and i get data security. I wont lose any space as well i just wont get the added right performace but i have 2gb so no pagefile and that wont hurt 2 bad.

i got these drives from selling a raptor 35 gb, what do you guys think? should i have staid with 1 raptor?

jAkUp
11-28-05, 02:03 PM
The 10K raptor is faster than any 7200RPM 8mb's in raid0. And Raid1 is just mirroring... I'm not sure why its saying its twice as fast. Mirror'd drives are slower.

bugmage
11-28-05, 02:26 PM
why would the raptor be any faster? at finding info yes i agree but transfer rate wouldent be better, and as far as windows and games, im looking for the transfer rate, and also the wikipeida artical also says that seek times will be theoretically cut in half for reads, which is the same speed that a raptor seeks at, not that it matters but there also sata2s so there is a slight performance gain by that

am i right?

BrianG
11-28-05, 02:28 PM
i think ill go with raid 1, because it should load 2x as fast according to wikipedia which is what i want for games and starting the OS, and opening files, and i get data security. I wont lose any space as well i just wont get the added right performace but i have 2gb so no pagefile and that wont hurt 2 bad.

i got these drives from selling a raptor 35 gb, what do you guys think? should i have staid with 1 raptor?
Definitely wrong. Go with RAID 0. My array has been reliable other than the 6.66 Forceware SNAFU that had hosed up RAID drivers.

BrianG
11-28-05, 02:32 PM
Theoretical versus real world...

The RAID0 is probably about as fast the Raptor. Things like file size and how the data is split between the drives will cause things to run between twice as fast to a little slower than a single SATA drive. For the most part, it has been very fast for me.

jAkUp
11-28-05, 02:34 PM
why would the raptor be any faster? at finding info yes i agree but transfer rate wouldent be better, and as far as windows and games, im looking for the transfer rate, and also the wikipeida artical also says that seek times will be theoretically cut in half for reads, which is the same speed that a raptor seeks at, not that it matters but there also sata2s so there is a slight performance gain by that

am i right?

From what I understand, seek time goes higher once your Raid disks. (like when you raid 2x raptors, your seektime increases) This is the reason I am not running Raid 0 on my discs. Read the anandtech review of Raid. It didn't offer a substantial performance increase :(

bugmage
11-28-05, 02:41 PM
so ive read some more stuff what ive seen is that my seek time will be 1/2 but the transfer rate will be 2x, for the os and games what do you think is more important? :eek: i think windows might slow down and games speed up, hmmmmmmm

hey is any of those drives raided in the thumbnail?

bugmage
11-28-05, 02:52 PM
ok so ive read the anandtech review and what im wondering now is if there is added performance benchmark wise for raid but not real life performance, where are the bottlenecks? arg idk should i keep the raptor and my 2 sata 2s, raid all 3 of them together in raid 5 or sell the 2 drives i just bought lol?

nVestor
11-28-05, 02:53 PM
http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=21104&st=0&p=217603&#entry217603

Makes for good reading.:) RAID 0 + Partitioning Scheme = Favorable Conditions w00t! :cool:

bugmage
11-28-05, 03:12 PM
ok im back, and that last post was a good one, so what do you guys think?

nVestor
11-29-05, 04:24 PM
There is an example of my partitioning scheme here if you were curious.(snowcool)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59624

I should write a book instead of giving this stuff out for free... ;)

bugmage
11-29-05, 11:02 PM
well i do the setup tomorrow heres what i think ill do.

2 drives raid 0 16 bit cluster 32 bit strip, for pagefile as well as the default directory for things like desktop and temp files and others and games

ill use my raptor 36 gig for windows 8 kb cluster

and my 250 gb for storage what cluster size should i stick on that? idk somehthing big

bugmage

2 drives raid 0 16 bit cluster 32 bit strip, for pagefile as well as the default directory for things like desktop and temp files and others and games

and my 250 gb for storage what cluster size should i stick on that? idk somehthing big

bugmage

bugmage
11-29-05, 11:03 PM
(no clue why that posted 3 times)

bugmage
11-30-05, 09:19 AM
but yeah can i get a ye or ne on this config?