PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Z-5500 (or any other 5.1 speakers) and Quicktime7 5.1 sound

DCult
11-28-05, 03:34 AM
I got the Z-5500's on Saturday and while everything seems to be working great, (DVD's, games, WMV9 high definition clips) I can't seem to enable 5.1 surround sound in Quicktime 7.0.3 high definition clips from Apple's site. I selected 5.1 speakers and 48KHz, 16bit hardware in Quicktime control panel, but I still get stereo sound. Btw, I'm using an Audigy2 ZS and connect through 6-channel direct mode. Any ideas? Sorry if this has been answered before. Thanks in advance.

einstein_314
11-28-05, 12:49 PM
Yes this is a known problem (Although I've never seen a thread about it here so you're ok). For some reason quicktime has a problem with audigy cards and 5.1 surround in the HD clips. So far there is no known fix. (As far as I know).

EDIT: I just searched the apple discussion forums and there is a thread there about this problem, but no one has any answers. Apparently 5.1 surround works with all other sound cards (realtek, etc.) but not with creative. Hopefully the next update will fix this problem.

DCult
11-28-05, 03:44 PM
Thanks a lot. Would you happen to know if Quicktime can output via digital cable encoded 5.1 signal for the Z-5500's to decode ? I don't have a coaxial cable. If that's the case, maybe I should get one.

Gnu_Raiz
11-28-05, 03:50 PM
Thanks a lot. Would you happen to know if Quicktime can output via digital cable encoded 5.1 signal for the Z-5500's to decode ? I don't have a coaxial cable. If that's the case, maybe I should get one.

You should be able to use any rca type plug, from the coax, to coax. Try using an old yellow rca or any single rca cable, heck try any rca cable. If you do not have any extra, then I would consider a digital output cable, since they are only a few dollars more then a coax cable.

Do not buy the Monster brand, any cable should do no need to waste money on a cable brand.

Gnu_Raiz

DCult
11-29-05, 08:45 AM
You should be able to use any rca type plug, from the coax, to coax. Try using an old yellow rca or any single rca cable, heck try any rca cable. If you do not have any extra, then I would consider a digital output cable, since they are only a few dollars more then a coax cable.

Do not buy the Monster brand, any cable should do no need to waste money on a cable brand.

Gnu_Raiz

Thanks for the info, but my question was about the ability of Quicktime to output encoded 5.1 signal. I have a lot RCA-to-RCA cables. What I think I need is a mini-plug to RCA, because if I remember correctly Audigy2 ZS has mini-plug digital out. About the Monster brand, I agree, since we are talking about a digital cable and relatively inexpensive speakers, and it's difficult to find a dealer here in Greece anyway.