PDA

View Full Version : Wifey to allow $1000-$1200 Upgrade! Need Opinions

Pages : [1] 2

dante
11-28-05, 12:14 PM
Hi guys. Getting a upgrade "ok" from teh wife for my xmas present. Its for $1000 but Im pretty sure I could stretch it to $1200 for the right item(s). Im thinking of a few different options. Just looking for opinions. Here is my current setup. And please feel free to offer any better options that you believe is a better direction to go. Thanks!

AMD A64 3500
eVGA 6800GT
2x1gig XMS 3200 Corsair
Asus A8V Mobo
80gig HD(plenty for me)

First option

1) 7800GTX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814130254
Asus A8N SLI
AMD A64 X2 4400

Second Option

2) 7800GT(or GTX) SLI
Asus A8N SLI
Keeping the same processor

Third Option

1) Dell Monitor 24" Flat http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...uctlisting.aspx

Keep in mind I havent upgraded my monitor for maybe 6-7 years. Have a 19" Viewsonic. Each option has its pro's and cons. If I was to opt for a monitor it would be possibly another year before I could upgrade my mobo, vid card, processor etc. Most likely not that long but it is possible.

OWA
11-28-05, 12:29 PM
One issue that you might have if you go the monitor route is that it could be tough running games at the native resolution of 1920x1200. You'd probably need to make compromises on IQ to keep the framerate up at that res. Of course, if you don't mind, having black bars around the picture, you can play games at lower resolutions with the picture centered or use fixed aspect ratio scaling or just have it scaled to fit the entire screen (looks a little stretched and blurry though having it scaled to fit).

I'd probably go with option 1.

Roliath
11-28-05, 12:55 PM
yeah option one looks pretty nice

Scunner
11-28-05, 01:08 PM
+1 for option 1.

It's tragic when Man The Hairy Hunter has to get approval from his wife for a computer upgrade, but if the same man were to blow, oh I dunno $2400 on a three stone diamond ring for her one Christmas, no questions are asked.

Am I speaking from experience? Maybe.

KickAssCop
11-28-05, 01:17 PM
I would grab an A64 4200+ for 400 bucks.
Score a 7800GTX of forums for around 400 USD (already scored one for 350 USD :D)
Grab an A8N SLi for 125 bucks
Use the remaining 300 USD towards a nice 21" CRT for now.

P.S. Also ebay the 6800GT for 200 USD, ebay the 3500+ for 150 USD, ebay the motherboard for 70 USD. That's another 420 bucks which can be used to score another 7800GTX for SLi goodness. :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Salamandar
11-28-05, 01:52 PM
yeah option one looks pretty nice

X2

TierMann
11-28-05, 02:04 PM
Just a heads up. Your links actually have "..." in them. :P

For 20 bucks more I'd go with option 1 but with the Opteron 175 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584) instead. Same performance, less voltage, a little less heat and if you want to OC then it shouldn't be a problem. If I had the option at the time I would have gotten the opteron, but the 4400 is a nice chip too.

dante
11-28-05, 02:52 PM
Just a heads up. Your links actually have "..." in them. :P

For 20 bucks more I'd go with option 1 but with the Opteron 175 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584) instead. Same performance, less voltage, a little less heat and if you want to OC then it shouldn't be a problem. If I had the option at the time I would have gotten the opteron, but the 4400 is a nice chip too.

Ive never had too much luck oc'ing. Ive been getting the impression that Opterons are easily overclockable though. Is this true?

KickAssCop

Have already sold the mobo and cpu for $175 combined. Maybe a bit cheap but the guy is a co-worker/friend.

Scunner

What can you do man. :o

Omega53
11-28-05, 02:56 PM
Shoot, Ill sell you my system for $1200

TierMann
11-28-05, 03:37 PM
Here's a couple more threads of opinions on X2 vs 939 Opteron...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60398
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60489

I can't tell you which is better really since I havn't had both to compare, but from the OC and benchmark results of the opterons (matching X2's) I'd have to go with them.

GRAFiZ
11-29-05, 02:36 AM
+1 for option 1.

It's tragic when Man The Hairy Hunter has to get approval from his wife for a computer upgrade, but if the same man were to blow, oh I dunno $2400 on a three stone diamond ring for her one Christmas, no questions are asked.

Ah yes... but remember this, diamonds and gold retain value no matter how many years go bye, the amount is determined by market conditions.

However, spending the same amount on a computer purchase will eventually turn into a pile of garbage sitting in a dump waiting to be crushed for scrap metal.

As for the original question... I'd go with option #1. Best all around.

TierMann
11-29-05, 04:17 AM
You can't game on a ring (unless it's a secret decoder ring or has a little game where you have to get the ball in the hole on it). Until ring technology moves ahead you can't even check your e-mail on it.

msxyz
11-29-05, 04:37 AM
+1 for option 1.

Women are irrational by nature, but men in love are often infected with the same feminine irrationality.

(snowlol)

Tork64
11-29-05, 07:24 AM
First option obviously.

ViN86
11-29-05, 10:56 AM
Ah yes... but remember this, diamonds and gold retain value no matter how many years go bye, the amount is determined by market conditions.

However, spending the same amount on a computer purchase will eventually turn into a pile of garbage sitting in a dump waiting to be crushed for scrap metal.

As for the original question... I'd go with option #1. Best all around.
just had to be a dork and tell you that diamonds actually are NOT forever. they are slowly decaying to carbon.... i mean, it will take thousands and thousands of years, but they really are NOT forever, hehe (rudolf)

nrs421
11-29-05, 11:04 AM
plus diamonds are damned common....one we lick spaceflight and can travel to other planents we can pick them up by the ton on Neptune, where it rains diamonds....

pakotlar
11-29-05, 11:08 AM
plus diamonds are damned common....one we lick spaceflight and can travel to other planents we can pick them up by the ton on Neptune, where it rains diamonds....

your avatar is raining boobies(xmassign)

GRAFiZ
11-29-05, 11:49 AM
LOL... being that nobody alive today will live long enough to see a diamond decay then I believe we can all agree, they're forever enough.

However, when you purchase from a jewerly store you must accept that you are going to be paying about 50% markup, being, atleast over the value of the rocks and metal.

BUT... lets take a $500 diamond ring, worth perhaps $200 in actual findings.

Then you take a $600 512 7800GTX, worth about $600 today.

However, in 10 years that 7800GTX will be worth perhaps, lets say, $15 or $20 bucks if anything.

BUT... unless the global economy is to fall into a pit of dispair from which it will never recover, the diamond ring could always be sold or traded for a value of atleast $200, but more likely closer to $300 or $400 adjusting for gold value and inflation.

Now then... while as a man I must agree women can indeed be irrational, I beg of you, sit back and think about which purchase is in fact more irrational.

Value of entertaiment must be considered, but anything that will be worthless within a few years is hard to consider as a smart purchase.

At the end of the day, get a nice computer that plays what you want how you want, and if your partner so desires, purchase them a piece of jewerly that will provide them with the same type of satisfaction.

Salamandar
11-29-05, 01:13 PM
nrs421 you have the best avatar ever :eek:

ameek
11-29-05, 05:02 PM
OPTION ONE. dual core drivers from nvidia improve performance, new games will support the dual core cpus. 7800gtx and a dual core cpu is by far the best option there, every other option is garbage.

ameek
11-29-05, 05:04 PM
holy crap nrs421 i want that girl oh my god i just remembered a still a virgin. damn i hate being fat, and im 20 years old. im just a little fat but still, damn you fat cells, damn youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. i wish i could some how magically suck the fat out of my stomach and get 6 pac abs, that will never happen i will die with a fat stomach and die a virgin.

saturnotaku
11-29-05, 05:09 PM
i wish i could some how magically suck the fat out of my stomach and get 6 pac abs, that will never happen i will die with a fat stomach.

Here's a thought - put down the Oreos, then get your arse off the computer chair and onto a treadmill. If you're in college, most universities have a fitness center. If you have a PS2 or Xbox, I highly recommend Dance Dance Revolution. 20-30 minutes a day, plus watching what you're eating will work wonders.

ViN86
11-29-05, 05:14 PM
Here's a thought - put down the Oreos, then get your arse off the computer chair and onto a treadmill. If you're in college, most universities have a fitness center. If you have a PS2 or Xbox, I highly recommend Dance Dance Revolution. 20-30 minutes a day, plus watching what you're eating will work wonders.
heh DDR, yea.... ill stick to picking up heavy metal objects (aka dumbells) thx

btw, i too am wondering whether or not to get a 7800GTX or a 7800GT

real question is, are you planning on upgrading to a G80 core and DX10 when it hits? if so, then hoarding the cash might be a good idea for a little while.

nippyjun
11-29-05, 05:32 PM
I'd get the dell 2405 as my first item and then a 7800gt or gtx as the second one. You can use your existing processor for now. The existing processor is probably the same speed playing games as a x2 4400 anyway.

ameek
11-29-05, 08:42 PM
my 6800gt is starting to piss me off. hdr source games run like anus on it. even in 1024 resolution, i have to turn of aa and af and still its a little on the low side of fps area. my cpu is a amd 64 3200 overclocked to 2.45ghz, so its not the cpu, its this stupid video card. i cant believe i spent 520 with tax on this 6800gt on febuary 2005. now this card is worthless.