PDA

View Full Version : Joypads for PC gaming

Smokey
11-28-05, 12:13 PM
I never use a joypad on the pc except for driving games like Need for Speed, and after getting Most Wanted, I decided it was time to upgrade the one I bought back in 1998 :p

So I went and bought one today. At the time I didnt pay attention to the brand, just how it felt in my hands and the price (20). Got home installed the drivers, then took a look on the net at the brand. I hadnt realised that it was Saitek, the same Saitek that make the famous gamers keyboard.

For the price, this is one sweet joypad, before I was limited to 4 buttons, and could only used one button at a time, now Im using 8 :D

I must admit, I was clueless as to which joypad to get, had heard go things about Logitech, but after comparing the two, the Saitek felt better, and was cheaper, so I got lucky with my choice.

So, post pics and feedback of your joypads to help the clueless folk like myself :p oh and did I mention that it has a nice sexy blue like.....goes well the the blue light in my case :cool:

Brand: Saitek
Model: P990
Comfort: 5/5
Style: 5/5
Configuration: 5/5 ( 8 direction pad, 2 sticks, and about 12 programable buttons)
Build quality: 5/5

This gets the Smokey stamp of approval.......if that means anything :p

sorry for bad pics...

jAkUp
11-28-05, 12:17 PM
I had a Logitech Rumblepad 2, but I just picked up the XBox360 controller for PC. Awesome feel, and buttons are in perfect places :)

Mr. Hunt
11-28-05, 12:30 PM
I had a Logitech Rumblepad, but I just picked up the XBox360 controller for PC. Awesome feel, and buttons are in perfect places :)

You smoke crack... the Start and Back button placement SUCK (especially since there is that other "X" button right in the middle or whatever it is that gets hit on accident constantly :\).

TierMann
11-28-05, 12:39 PM
I have a cheap "Gamers Factory" controller that's a pretty exact copy of the PS2 controller except it's clear blue and has "turbo" and "clear" buttons.
I just use it for racing games really, or emulators.

The company site isn't even there anymore so no pics.

jAkUp
11-28-05, 12:44 PM
You smoke crack... the Start and Back button placement SUCK (especially since there is that other "X" button right in the middle or whatever it is that gets hit on accident constantly :\).

Its alot better than the S controller, thats for sure. Since I hardly use those 2 buttons anyways, its not a big deal for me.

acrh2
11-28-05, 12:49 PM
Gamepads are only good for platformers and any games with overhead or third person perspective, where you don't need precise control over the stick deflection angles, only the ability to change direction quickly.
For driving and flying, one must have a full size joystick, because only joysticks (and only good ones at that) allow for precise control required in such games.

P.S. Just received CH Fighterstick from newegg. Will report on how it is, and if all the the hype about it being the best / most precise joystick on the market is true.

http://www.maximum3d.com/images/fs/cm1.jpg

Elvin Presler
11-28-05, 01:17 PM
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2225,CONTENTID=8674

The Logitech Rumblepad 2

The best PC gamepad hands down. I've tried most of them and this is the ONLY one with a flawless D-Pad and the best analog sticks. All the others either had a sloppy or flat out broken D-Pad, or unresponsive analog with "deadzones" that could not be removed.

http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/4208.jpg

Q
11-28-05, 01:39 PM
My SuperJoyPad PS2 to USB converter has served me well for years now!

Minus rumble support that occasionally crashes the computer.
And some games that report the buttons as gibberish instead of "Button 1, 2, ect".
And the inability to configure my axiseseses.
And the flaking out of the primary port on the adapter.

Other than that, its been awesome! I plan on picking up the Xbox360 pad ASAP. It's going to be more widespread than the Sidewinder standard, I do believe. I really hope so, because maybe then we'll get more than FPS and "point and click" for the PC.

Can't a guy wish?

Lfctony
11-28-05, 03:14 PM
I currently have a PS2 controller on a converter for my PC, and I have the X360 pad on its way.

nVidi0t
11-28-05, 05:40 PM
The Xbox 360 controller is sublime.

RAY16
11-28-05, 05:51 PM
The Xbox 360 controller is sublime.

Maybe after MS releases proper software for it instead of just basic drivers, until then it's a waste of money.

jAkUp
11-28-05, 06:00 PM
Its not a waste of money. What more do you want it to do? The drivers are fine for playing games. The only issue I have is the rumble doesn't seem to work. But thats it.

ynnek
11-28-05, 06:08 PM
driving with a joystick? Eww.. Get the PS2 Driver Force Pro.. Excpet for the shift paddles(or lack of), its better than the Momo they make now. Plus with 900 degs of motion, you can't go back to the limited 210 degs most wheels have.

Actually, the DFP is so accurate, you notice how most arcade driving games are internally tuned for crappy wheels, sticks, ham fisted arcade driving.. Basically, they put this huge deadzone in the middle, and then suddenly when you get out of it, steering angle shoots through the roof. Then it suddenly becomes apparant that lots of arcade driving games (and lots of so called arcade-sims) were designed to be driven with the wheel almost slammed against the stops 90% of the time... Which is rediculous.

RAY16
11-28-05, 06:22 PM
Its not a waste of money. What more do you want it to do? The drivers are fine for playing games. The only issue I have is the rumble doesn't seem to work. But thats it.

I want all of the options the XBCD drivers offer me, or at least the majority of them. Until that happens the X360 controller isn't worth $40 just to get better white/black button placement.

I like to be able to change my triggers from an Axis for driving games to digital buttons for other games, and I like being able to configure my deadzones and thresholds for games that may require specialized settings. Microsofts X360 software is pathetically basic.

Roliath
11-28-05, 06:42 PM
I have a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 (or something like that) coming in tomorrow. I bought it just for NFS:MW and I haven't played NFS in like a week JUST so I can enjoy it with my rumblepad!!! :D

Slybri
11-29-05, 04:47 PM
I have a nice Logitech Cordless thingy as well, but I never use it. I rarely play any game on the PC that needs a gamepad. I think I played the Lego Starwars demo with the gamepad for like an hour, once. If I'm playing a racing game at the desk I use a wheel and pedals. If a game plays better with a gamepad that probably means its a console port to PC, which usually suck. I prefer to play console games on the console and PC games on the PC.

Here is a snowman with sunglasses, enjoy (snowcool)

Smokey
11-30-05, 12:09 AM
Well Im thinking games like Splinter cell and Prince of Persia may be better with a gamepad, and will look much better on the pc, will try SC:CT soon, as it came free with my 7800GT :)