PDA

View Full Version : Liking Guild Wars..what should be next WoW or EQ2?

oneils
11-28-05, 02:56 PM
Hi everyone, I'm looking to play a new MMORPG. I've played Guild Wars and like it a lot so far...but I'm looking for something new. I never thought I would like MMORPG's but Guild Wars, I think, was a good way to get my feet wet.

I'm looking for something that is great for solo play. Out of WoW or EQ2, which is better for solo play? I know...I know..."why play a MMORPG if you are so concerned about solo play?" I guess its because of the lack of new RPG's on PC lately (mostly diablo clones it seems to me - GW was guilty of that a bit)...and I like to just grind it out for a while before jumping into joining a party (so I guess I'm guilty of liking the Diablo method a little too much as well). Mind you, I'm not looking for simply a point-and-click fest, but for something with more depth...I think its time for me to finally move on...

Given this, does anyone know which game would be best for me? Out of WoW and EQ2 which one would better suit my tastes? Also, I tend to gravitate more to playing melee type characters as opposed to spellcasters...if that helps any...

Thanks for reading my ramblings...

S.O.

Vagrant Zero
11-28-05, 03:05 PM
WoW. It's probabley the most solo friendly MMORPG out their. Every other game out their forces me to group becuase hey don't ya just know it I didn''t get my fill of fraking idiots out in the real world.

*remember grouping with a mage that insisted on meeling*

oneils
11-28-05, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the input Vagrant Zero. Do you know of any trial cd's or dvd's out there? Most trial's are file server sites that force you to wait in line for 6 hours...I might just bite the bullet and buy it...how much gameplay comes with the game (1 month or two)?

S.O.

SDinc
11-28-05, 10:20 PM
You could try this first:

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/worldofwarcraft/trial/wow_nonreg.aspx

oneils
11-29-05, 08:18 AM
Hi SDinc, thanks for the link. I tried it last week (found it through another forum)...but after downloading about 2.7gb of the 2.9gb file, it decided to quit on me. I'd reconnect but after a minute or so the IGN download manager would report that the connection failed and that I have to try again.

So I've waited in line for an hour about 4 or 5 times only to have the download quit on me everytime. So, I basically quit on it. I guess I'll have to find a trial version somewhere else.

s.O.

lognoronon
11-29-05, 01:51 PM
WOW is a better choice for soloing and considered easy mode for MMORPG's. If you like grouping and like a challenge then EQ2 is better.

Gorion
11-29-05, 02:17 PM
I solo a lot in EQ2 and have no difficulty. I just couldn't get into WOW. I tried but it didn't do it for me. I tried COH as well and really didn't like it. I beta'd Star Wars and that was as far as I went with that one. I played DAOC a while back and got into it a bit. I've been thinking about blowing the dust off of the cd's and giving it another go.

Anyway I like EQ2 ;)

oneils
11-29-05, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll search around (google) for some free trials. If I don't find any that are worthwhile, I think I might just flip a coin and take it from there. What's the worst that can happen? I've wasted 40 bucks on much worse. From the looks of it, that 40 bucks, for either game, will probably provide me at least 25 hours of entertainment - and if I like one, I'm sure I'll get much more than that.

Hell, a 24 case of beer costs about 30bucks where I live, and a movie is 12 bucks.

S.O.

p.s. I can't wait for Oblivion and Dark Messiah.

Gorion
11-29-05, 03:58 PM
You should be able to find trial of the isle for EQ2 pretty easy. It gives you the first zone to run around in and explore the mechanics of the game.

ST:DS9
11-30-05, 10:16 PM
WOW, is definetly solo friendly. I too went from GW to WOW, and haven't looked back at GW since.

Ringthane
11-30-05, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll search around (google) for some free trials. If I don't find any that are worthwhile, I think I might just flip a coin and take it from there. What's the worst that can happen? I've wasted 40 bucks on much worse. From the looks of it, that 40 bucks, for either game, will probably provide me at least 25 hours of entertainment - and if I like one, I'm sure I'll get much more than that.

Hell, a 24 case of beer costs about 30bucks where I live, and a movie is 12 bucks.

S.O.

p.s. I can't wait for Oblivion and Dark Messiah.

I know the last issue of Maxim had a free WoW trial disk in it - you might want to check that out and see if it's still available.

oneils
12-01-05, 02:31 PM
I know the last issue of Maxim had a free WoW trial disk in it - you might want to check that out and see if it's still available.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

S.O.