PDA

View Full Version : Christmas is coming!

CaptNKILL
11-28-05, 09:00 PM
(xmassign2

Ok, its almost that time of the year again, and its time for me to start thinking about what *I* want :D

Problem is, Im relatively happy with my PC (heh, yes that IS in fact a problem).
*I have way too much ram :p.

*My CPU is pretty damn fast (dual core is my only option for an upgrade, and itd be way too expensive for a tiny performance gain... maybe even a loss).

*My video card cant really be upgraded unless I sell it AND my motherboard and go with an Nforce 4 and a PCI-E card... and considering the hassle and the amount of money id have to spend, it doesnt really seem worth it. The only card that really makes me drool at this point is a 7800GTX 512Mb... and thats NOT going to happen for a LONG time. If there was a card that I could get for a decent price thatd give me a really nice performance boost (ie, much higher than a 7800GT) Id consider it though... heh, I can still probably squeeze $275-$300 out of my current one on ebay. I spent $317 on it in June of '04 ;)

*I was sort of thinking about going with one of those AsRock motherboards with the new ULi chipset (very fast AGP and PCI-E performance, lots of features, only $65) but again, thats a lot of trouble for basically no difference at all in my system performance.

*My soundcard could use an upgrade since im just using the onboard ALC850, but as nice as the X-Fi is, I hear about a lot of problems from a lot of people. Id be PISSED if I got it and didnt notice much difference and then had problems. I tend to only upgrade my soundcard when I notice something that drastically needs improvement... this one sounds good to me (could be better I guess, but I have nothing to compare it to) and causes ZERO problems EVER, so Im not sure if its worth the money and potential problems.

*My MX-500 mouse is getting a little crusty, but I really like having 2 side buttons. If I can get better performance AND more buttons, Id probably get a new one... if not, I'll stick with this one because it still works great.

*I could probably use a nice mousing surface, but ive use some in the past and they mostly suck ass. They eat the feat off the mice, they lose their texture and they cost quite a bit considering that my desk seems to work ok.

*Im not quite ready to make the move to LCD for a monitor... and thatd be pretty pricey anyways. Id have to get something big.

*I like my cheapo Lite-On keyboard... dont need anything else.

*Hard drive is good, ive got a 512Mb MP3 player for transporting small files (it doubles as a memory stick, no wires needed), DVD-RW and DVD reader work great... speakers are amazing... ive got a decent webcam...

I just dont know where to go this Christmas!! I have FEAR and Quake 4... I guess id play some more games, but there arent any that have me real hyped at the moment.

Help me guys! I need some good stuff to unwrap and play with :(

I really wish there was something I could get for my system though... Ive got the upgrade bug and no real reason to have it :o

EDIT: Hopefully this long-winded post will help some others in similar situations... ;)

a12ctic
11-28-05, 09:52 PM
heres what i want

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211
OCZ Gold Series 1gb duel channel, good stuff, im on some lame value ram right now

CaptNKILL
11-28-05, 10:06 PM
heres what i want

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211
OCZ Gold Series 1gb duel channel, good stuff, im on some lame value ram right now
That looks pretty nice... I dont have much use for it myself though. From what I have seen, memory bandwidth does very little these days. Itd cost me nearly $280 to convert to 2 gigs of that stuff so thats deffinitely out of the question.

I was just thinking of something though... how about the HDA Mystique sound card? I was just thinking about how awesome that would be for my setup considering the kinds of things I do with my computer. I could use that with an optical connection to my Z5500s, which would open up my analog connections for use with other computers in my room (I have a bunch ;)).

How is this card for gaming and music? Keep in mind Im coming from integrated ALC850... performance isnt a huge issue (ill make sure im video card limited long before my soundcard holds me back), but I want it to *work* with anything I play. My current sound card doesnt give me any real issues in any games, but Ive had many cards in the past that did (Santa Cruz had crappy hardware sound, Live! 5.1 had lots of problems...).

Im getting kinda hyped about this thing... anyone here using one? :)

Riptide
11-28-05, 10:22 PM
I already treated myself to two christmas presents. 512GTX and an X-Fi. Oh and today I got a 10 pack of DVD+R DL verbatim for $36. So the spending spree must come to a (admittedly) temporary end until after December. I already got the wife's christmas present so I'm almost done.

CaptNKILL
11-28-05, 10:38 PM
I already treated myself to two christmas presents. 512GTX and an X-Fi. Oh and today I got a 10 pack of DVD+R DL verbatim for $36. So the spending spree must come to a (admittedly) temporary end until after December. I already got the wife's christmas present so I'm almost done.
Ohg... I wish I was getting myself one of those GTX 512s (xmasgrin)

EDIT: GOD DAMMIT! http://www.bluegears.com/

They have new products coming out in a few months :mad:

I wonder if they are worth waiting for... I dont need DTS...

Gerrr! Why cant they just wait a year or so so I can get this one now and not feel stupid for buying one and then having it outdated a month later. :(

jAkUp
11-28-05, 10:54 PM
I'd go for the X-Fi :p Especially if you play alot of BF2.

CaptNKILL
11-28-05, 11:18 PM
I'd go for the X-Fi :p Especially if you play alot of BF2.
I actually havent played BF2 in over a month... just hasnt seemed interesting lately :o

Im not real thrilled about going with Creative anyway... ive had soooo many driver problems with them this year (with their older stuff of course). It would be nice to have some of their extra features, but I really could put that DDL\optical out to good use with my setup.

If only someone other than creative had some leverage in the gaming area. :o

j0j081
11-29-05, 05:30 AM
I am thinking a lot about xmas to (see my thread in this forum). So far I want headphones, gaming mouse, and a few games. My system isn't the best anymore but I figure I'll just wait and redo the whole thing after Vista comes out. the holiday's will be especially nice this year. i didn't get anything for my bday cause I needed the cash. :(

PaiN
11-29-05, 05:30 AM
Ah, If I could get what "I" want for X-mas.... and have someone else(like my wife ;) ) pay for it. I get a: Dell 2405FPW, A64 X2 4800+, Asus A8N32-SLI and (2)7800GTX 512mb :D Damn, my heart is pounding....even typing it. Sad but I have to get my own X-Mas present, with my own money.....I don't have enough atm for any of those :( I must have been bad this year

Anyway, Capt. imo....you'd be happy with any sound card you like over "on-board" sound. I can't believe you won't notice a BIG difference.

CaptNKILL
11-29-05, 10:39 AM
What do you guys think of this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829118109

It has DDL... but I do want good hardware support...

Gah... so frustrating... I hate soundcards :(

Maybe I should just go with the X-Fi.

f***ing creative :rolleyes:

EDIT: Well, Ive sort of decided to swallow my pride and go with an X-Fi... in the end I'll probably just be happier with it. Im doing fine with analog sound now, so I dont desperately need digital, itd just make things easier.
The added features of the X-Fi probably kick ass, so I dont think I'll regret it as long as it works.

Now I just have to find a good deal on one... Circuit City has a deal where you can get one for around $80 with mail in rebates, but id have to spend $20 in gas to get to one from where I live (its in store pickup only) so thats worthless. If anyone finds a special deal or coupon, let me know... ZipZoomFly has the best deal by far though. $110 with free 2nd day shipping.

CaptNKILL
11-29-05, 06:01 PM
Ok, on to mice :D

Im really considering the Razer Copperhead, but the price is outrageous for a mouse. I love the extra buttons and the glowing effect and the high DPI, but I have to say... id like a G5 with a freaking FORWARD BUTTON. I cant believe they got rid of that. I use mine all the time and itd be really irritating to all of the sudden be missing a button.

The MX518 is also an option I guess... they are really cheap now ($35 at newegg) but I dont know if its that much of an advance that it would be worth upgrading from my MX500.

If the Copperhead was a bit more affordable (and more available... it seems nearly impossible to find them anywhere) id be all over it.

Any comments?

$n][pErMan
11-29-05, 08:05 PM
What I will probably get:
X-Fi Elite Pro
or
Decent AGP/PCI-E mobo (if a good one exists) that will accept the best single core 64bit AMD CPU (as I dont see duel core as worth the money quite yet)... and will also accept my AGP video card (as its still kicing ass for me and I dont wanna dump any cash into new one(s) yet!

What I want but cant dump the money on currently:
- 2 - 7800GTX's 512mb each majory overclocked :D
- Best AMD CPU I could possibly get to last me awhile and then OC the hell out of it ;)

Riptide
11-29-05, 08:29 PM
Ok, on to mice :D
Any comments?
I didn't like the Copperhead. I suggest getting one at your local best buy so you can return it if it doesn't really "wow" you.

The 518 is a good mouse as is the 510. I really like the button arrangement on my 510 and I bet you could get that pretty damn cheap. The 518 is the logical thing to go to from the 500 though, if you don't want a G5/7.

CaptNKILL
11-29-05, 08:38 PM
I didn't like the Copperhead. I suggest getting one at your local best buy so you can return it if it doesn't really "wow" you.

The 518 is a good mouse as is the 510. I really like the button arrangement on my 510 and I bet you could get that pretty damn cheap. The 518 is the logical thing to go to from the 500 though, if you don't want a G5/7.
Yeah Im thinking I'll probably go that way... the 518 is just so damn cheap.

And Ive never been in a Best Buy... I dont know if theres one within 2 hours drive of where I live :o

The only office-type store I know of is Staples about 20 minutes away... and thats not all that great :p

EDIT: BTW, what mouse are you using now?

Wolfhound
11-29-05, 08:41 PM
I´ll get a AMD X2 4200+ or 4400+ it depends on how much money I have at the moment of buying, no vid card because a friend of mine gave me his Aopen geforce 6800GT PCIe so I´m finally in the SLI bandwagon, when I mount it, no more memory because I have 2Gigs now, no more disks 5 is enough, a PSU that is a must have with an SLI right, probably I get a Tagan or OCZ, mouse, I have a Razer Diamondback that fits my needs and an Icemat second edition in Black so covered, my keyboard is a logitech media keyboard that I love, Sennheiser headphones, probably I´ll buy a monitor, mine is quite aging, I think on a Samsung 930BF 19´´ 4 ms response time, DVI conector.

j0j081
11-30-05, 04:51 AM
I'm getting a new mouse. Probably the G5 because although I'd like the G7 or Copperhead they are too expensive atm. I would feel bad getting the mx510 cause it's kinda played out now lolz. ;)

Riptide
11-30-05, 09:40 AM
God why did they have to remove the second button on the left side? It's one of the things I love about the 510. How lame.

CaptNKILL
11-30-05, 10:31 AM
God why did they have to remove the second button on the left side? It's one of the things I love about the 510. How lame.
Yeah, my 500 is an awesome mouse. The more (useable) buttons the better IMO. Why they would actually get rid of buttons is beyond me... i dont care if 6\10 people said they didnt use the forward button much. They dont use it, it doesnt effect them... the other 4\10 will be pissed when its gone from a new version.

Gerrrr...

Oh well, the 518 has sensitivity adjustments, 1600 dpi... and its a familiar design, so I know itl be comfortable. Id like to try a "laser" mouse, but I'll wait till they make one with lots of buttons that doesnt cost an arm, a leg and my left testicle ;)

Riptide
11-30-05, 11:13 AM
Yep those two buttons on the left are in the perfect place. I use the back button for speech in CSS and the forward button to disarm/use. It's perfect. Totally retarded that they got rid of that forward button on that side.

CaptNKILL
11-30-05, 11:36 AM
Yep those two buttons on the left are in the perfect place. I use the back button for speech in CSS and the forward button to disarm/use. It's perfect. Totally retarded that they got rid of that forward button on that side.
Yeah, in Battlefield I use the back button for prone when on foot and for "position 1" when in vehicles so I can always jump right in the drivers seat from another position. The forward button is always change camera angle... having it right there helps so much, you have no idea.

In FEAR the back button is melee and the forward button is throw grenade... id have to completely change the way I play to bind the grenade on a key somewhere.

Looks like I'll be ordering an MX518 and hopefully a Creative X-Fi for christmas... anyone have any game recommendations? :D