PDA

View Full Version : Newbee Q's: 7800gtx vs. quadro & more

firstdegreeab
11-28-05, 11:37 PM
Sorry for posting a new topic, i'm ordering parts for a new computer and couldn't find any previous post with fit the bill. This will be my first desktop i'm builing. I do mostly CAD/CAM work with this pc and am wondering if there is any way to make a 7800gtx act like a quadro. I've read multiple forums where they fight about makeing a 6800 into a quadro 4000. Manly after reading the entire debate at (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44531&highlight=6800+quadro) I'm wondering if there are any ways to make the 7800 more CAD friendly without having to spend thousands of $$$ on a quadro. Also any tips on power supplies, cooling, and cases for a 4800+ X2, 2 raptor hds, 1 300gb hd, 1 eventually 2 7800gtx 256mb, 4gb crucial, on asus deluxe sli would be greatly appreciated. Also any overclocking info for the 4800 X2, what r people getting stably out of them?

much thanks in advance, opinoins on the system? or better places to buy than newegg.

Thanks again,
Alex

Nv40
11-29-05, 11:59 AM
For CAd/CAm work you will need to get a QUadro with support for Antialised point lines. As far as i know there is no way to do what you want and get 100% the benefits of QUadro boards. That was only possible in the past with early QUadro boards but not today. it looks that there are indeed small hardware diferences between Geforce and quadros. ANy Geforce can be used for proffesional work ,but if you want really accurate display using HArdware overlay and ANtialised point lines then QUadros are your only choice. Just get any cheap QUadro that support Sm3.0.. some programs allows you to preview complex shaders in realtime.

firstdegreeab
11-29-05, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the response, I guess the quadros are the only way to go then. They cost soo much more for so much less performance.