PDA

View Full Version : Strange flickering problem when playing video

Pages : [1] 2

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 07:04 AM
Never saw this before. Clean install of XP Pro, SP2, and the 81.95 drivers from NVidia.

Whenever I launch a movie in WMP 10 I get a couple quick flickers before it plays the video. Very annoying.

Any idears? I looked around and saw other people with that issue and they were told to uninstall the older drivers, use DriverCleaner and update to the drivers that I have.

Not sure what is causing this.

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 08:39 AM
Update:

It flickers when launching video of any kind, in any player. Makes no difference if it is streaming through a browser, in WMP 10 or Quicktime.

Same flicker like a refresh rate change, every time.

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 08:42 AM
And get this... I do not have to actualy open the video file. Just click on it once and the screen flickers. Does not happen with any other type of file.

So what is this new bug in the 81.95 driver set?

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 09:31 AM
Well, I tried some of the posted fixes, no good. I do not understand how these kinds of bugs make it through QC.

It appears that NVidia is spending more time optimizing drivers to stay ahead of ATI, than to make the drivers solid.

Last time it was the colors in videos being washed out, now this... Grrrrr....

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 09:41 AM
I wish somebody would chime in, it is obvious that people are reading the damned thread.

I deleted the drivers, used Driver Cleaner, tried the new Extreme G drivers, same problem, possibly worse.

I will try another set, if I cannot fix this the card is going in the trash and I will have to get something else. I cannot have the monitor flickering like this every time video is displayed. This was a problem with other driver versions in the past but they fixed it. sigh...

81.85 drivers, same problem. This is so frustrating, I hate having to waste hours of my time fixing things that should work properly out of the box. Playing video on a PC should be simple.

Riptide
11-29-05, 10:03 AM
Squires dude no offense but is it really that big of a deal? Honestly so the screen flickers a couple times real quick when you first go to play a movie... and that's it? You aren't even using a CRT so it's not like it's clicking on/off. If it makes you feel any better I'm using 81.95 and I believe I've seen this behavior come up as well. I just don't care enough to bother troubleshooting it because to me it's just not worth it.

Just one man's opinion, don't bite my head off... ;) :p

It only does this when you first open the file right?

estel
11-29-05, 10:04 AM
hi. is your directx is 9.0c? i'm not sure whats wrong but maybe reinstalling older drivers that fixed it might help? 81.95 drivers seem to have alot of prob. hope it helps.

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 10:09 AM
Rip,

Yes, it is a problem. I paid $600 for a video card and I expect it to work properly without me having to invest hours of time and effort to catch and repair the errors that the dopes at NVidia failed to catch.

This is why I went NVidia over ATI recently, because NVidia appeared to have better drivers, but I am not impressed.

I won't bite your head off, I am simply frustrated when people can't get their act together and put out a product that does as promised.

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 10:12 AM
hi. is your directx is 9.0c? i'm not sure whats wrong but maybe reinstalling older drivers that fixed it might help? 81.95 drivers seem to have alot of prob. hope it helps.

I reinstalled older drivers, no good.

If it is some sort of conflict with WMP 10 I will be pissed because you cannot revert back, there is no way to install WMP9 if you already upgraded. Means yet another clean install, damn it.

And yes, it is DX9c

Riptide
11-29-05, 10:12 AM
Squires I understand. FWIW I've been disappointed with Nvidia's drivers as well. I don't think they are any better than ATI's over all. Each has their pluses and minuses.

Let's just say that I've learned that computers almost never "just work" and that there is almost always going to be some stupid idiosyncracy of one sort or another that you will have to deal with. Be it a driver bug or a bug in some game. There is always something screwed up.

If you're looking for perfection you're in the wrong hobby. ;)

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 10:18 AM
I do not expect perfection, but I do expect it to perform one of it's simple and primary tasks without screwing it up.

There is no reason why the screen has to flash several times every time I even click on a video file. Does not matter what type, if it is video the screen flashes.

I will do a clean install and try other drivers without upgrading to WMP 10, and if it persists, I will use this card for target practice and go get an X1800XT and be done with it.

It the card or drivers cannot handle the basics, then I have no use for it.

Jimi
11-29-05, 10:48 AM
I do not expect perfection, but I do expect it to perform one of it's simple and primary tasks without screwing it up.

There is no reason why the screen has to flash several times every time I even click on a video file. Does not matter what type, if it is video the screen flashes.

I will do a clean install and try other drivers without upgrading to WMP 10, and if it persists, I will use this card for target practice and go get an X1800XT and be done with it.

It the card or drivers cannot handle the basics, then I have no use for it.

Hi

Considering you are the only one that experiences this problem, it might be a problem with the board rather than the drivers. What connection are you using DVI or Analog?

Riptide
11-29-05, 11:48 AM
He's not the only one. I've seen this flickering behavior myself on my system.

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 11:57 AM
Hi

Considering you are the only one that experiences this problem, it might be a problem with the board rather than the drivers. What connection are you using DVI or Analog?

This is not limited to myself, others have seen it. As for that, I only have DVI on this card. Might be the card, but it was not happening the other day. I will do one last clean install and if it persists, I foresee a new X1800XT in my future.

Jimi
11-29-05, 12:37 PM
This is not limited to myself, others have seen it. As for that, I only have DVI on this card. Might be the card, but it was not happening the other day. I will do one last clean install and if it persists, I foresee a new X1800XT in my future.

If other users have experienced it, please chime in.

Optimummind
11-29-05, 01:37 PM

I had the same problem too but I fixed it by opening regedit and searching for and deleting all entries of this key:

{FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516}

I think, in total, there are about 10 instances of this key. Everytime I install a new driver, I go into regedit and delete that entry. It was annoying at first but I'm used to it now. Besides, it's better than putting up with the monitor flickering whenever I right-click or open up a movie file.

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 02:29 PM
Removed the keys, still a problem.

Riptide
11-29-05, 04:48 PM
Squires although I personally don't see this as a case of the card not performing a simple primary task without "screwing up" in any real meaningful way as you do I definitely support your decision to dump the card and go back to ATI if it does what you want in the way you want it done. It really is that simple, we all have different priorities and tolerances so I respect your decision.

And I also am not impressed with Nvidia's driver. It's no better than Catalyst overall. I was expecting more based on how much raving I hear about it and how horrible some people think ATI's driver is.

Anyway good luck with trying to solve this and I hope you don't have to dump the card.

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 04:52 PM
Squires although I personally don't see this as a case of the card not performing a simple primary task without "screwing up" in any real meaningful way as you do I definitely support your decision to dump the card and go back to ATI if it does what you want in the way you want it done. It really is that simple, we all have different priorities and tolerances so I respect your decision.

And I also am not impressed with Nvidia's driver. It's no better than Catalyst overall. I was expecting more based on how much raving I hear about it and how horrible some people think ATI's driver is.

Anyway good luck with trying to solve this and I hope you don't have to dump the card.

Well, clean install on freshly formatted drive. SP2, Nforce drivers, no sound installed yet, no WMP10... Video plays fine on WinXP's generic VGA driver.

Installed 81.95, flickers every friggan time. It is clearly a case of a buggy driver, I wish that there was a solution other than trying to find a driver that works.

And the flicker is very pronounced, does it like 4 or 5 times and looks like something is crapping out. Unacceptable in a $600 card.

Shame on them and their shoddy drivers I say.

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 04:59 PM
I guess that I just don't have much patience for this crap. I expect things to work. And having the screen mess up every time a video file is played or even clicked on or pops up in a browser, is not acceptable.

Imagine if every time a song came on the radio, your car's motor or headlights stuttered or flickered.

I tested video's every reboot, every update, and the flicker *only* appeared after the NVidia drivers were installed. No other apps or drivers were installed other than SP2 and the NForce drivers.

Has to be ****ty NVidie video drivers.

Riptide
11-29-05, 05:06 PM
Well FWIW I have had one helluva time with 81.xx on my system. Brand new motherboard and video card. Fresh installs of the OS and nforce drivers. BSOD and hard lockups in games, yet the system passes Prime.

It's done it with two 7800GTX's (256MB and a 512MB model). Multiple builds of the OS/drivers. Tried all sorts of BIOS settings and a few different BIOS versions as well. Nothing really seemed to help. Finally this last weekend I got my RAM back from a friend of mine (tried his RAM, didn't help) and put it in the other two slots on my motherboard (the black instead of the blue). At the same time I also upgraded to 81.95 (from .94) and tried installing the AMD CPU driver.

Now the problem seems (knock on wood) to be gone. And I'm not sure what it is that fixed it. But I hesitate to do anything at all with the system like upgrade to future drivers or rebuild the OS because the problem could come back. I had tried the AMD CPU driver on past builds and it didn't fix the problem so that doesn't seem like it would be it. If it was the blue DIMM slots that were somehow flakey then why would it pass Prime blend? The difference between 81.94 and 81.95 is minimal. It just doesn't make any sense and I really don't know why it seems to work now.

I just know I hestitate to look at it funny, breathe on it, touch it in any way, etc.. It's like somewhere there's a guy sitting there with a voodoo doll modeled after my computer and he's sticking pins in it. Very frustrating stuff.

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 05:11 PM
Damn, that blows. It sucks to spend this much money and have something so trivial mess up. I mean, I am running it stock, the entire system, no overclocks, just a barebones clean install and it plays fine untill I install the NVidia drivers, and then is ****s the bed.

I am stumped and frustrated.

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 05:13 PM
Out of curiosity, what does the "robust graphics accelerator" option in the BIOS do? Could it be that any time the card has to do some sort of acceleration, the mobo is adjusting the timing or clock speeds to boost performance, and that adjustment is causing the flicker?

Come to think of it, it does look sorta like it does when you use coolbits and set a new clock speed on the card and hit "test"...

Hmmm...

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 05:18 PM
Fo shizzle, I bet that is the problem. I am restoring a backup and I will go disable that feature. It is some sort of booster in the BIOS that adjusts your card's core and memory and I think I set it to Turbo rather than the default of Auto.

I hope to God that is the problem before I start shooting this damned thing.

SquireSCA
11-29-05, 05:28 PM
I think that's it. I set it back to Auto and now it does not flicker. But I am doing another clean install and test just to make sure that all the junk is out of there and I will retest it later tonight.

Perhaps it is not the drivers but this feature in the BIOS. I turned it on a couple days ago but never saw the flicker till this morning. Not sure why, but I will know in a couple hours if this is the culprit.