PDA

View Full Version : Is the .NET package required?

newls1
11-29-05, 07:53 AM
Hey all, I've always wondered this, but have been to lazy to ask. Is the download of the microsoft .NET package needed to optimize anything? Meaning is anything "FASTER" or more "STABLE" with it? I just downloaded the 1.1 and the 2.0 .NET applications, and now I have this DAMN screen that pops up when loading windows, that I have to click my name in order to go into windows, and im pissed cause I cant figure out how to disable it.

jolle
11-29-05, 07:58 AM
Not really, but its REQUIRED to run .NET applications.
It adds a account I think, hence that login thing.. um.. not sure on how to get rid of it.. perhaps disable that .NET account or something..

saturnotaku
11-29-05, 08:01 AM
Go into your system control panel and select user accounts. There will be a .NET account listed there. Simply delete it and the login screen will go away without any negative impact on .NET application functionality.

iyos
11-29-05, 08:06 AM
I hate installing .NET framework, managed to avoid it thus far on clean install. Can't see how it will make your system more stable, it only adds a framework for apps to run on.

newls1
11-29-05, 08:11 AM
thanks everyone.....

iyos
11-29-05, 08:23 AM
thanks everyone.....

Nice PC's btw :) Which RAM is better?

fatal1ty
11-29-05, 09:59 AM
I hate .net and you do not need it with NVs drivers... yet. You do need it for an X1800XT because only the CCC supports the card and that just sux.

newls1
11-29-05, 12:27 PM
Nice PC's btw :) Which RAM is better?
I REALLY like my ballistix 2GB kit, can do 287Mhz 1:1(xmasgrin) . However The G.skill takes ANYTHING YOU THROW AT IT!

rewt
11-29-05, 12:34 PM
Why do you hate .net? lol. If it's installing it you hate then don't worry, Windows Vista will have it built in.

Melhisedek
12-01-05, 02:43 AM
We'll have to go Linux than :P

Peoples-Agent
12-01-05, 05:29 AM
Dude, you mean you have to select your name / user etc rather than loading straight up into Windows?

Well, got a feeling this may only work in an XP Pro type environment but probably worth the effort, this is how you log straight into Windows without any form of User / Pass required, bearing in mind this may have an impact if you have multiple user accounts.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.
3. Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply.
4. In the Automatically Log On window, type the password in the Password box, and then retype the password in the Confirm Password box.
5. Click OK to close the Automatically Log On window, and then click OK to close the User Accounts window.

DaveW
12-01-05, 07:51 AM
.NET is just a framework, it provides functionality for the apps written in it. Kind of how Direct X provides functionality for the games written in it. Its usually a very painless install, it doesn't even require a reboot. .NET apps will only use the version of the framework they were compiled for (you can have multiple versions of the framework installed). So you won't improve your the stability or performance of existing .NET apps by installing a later version of the framework. Services packs are different. There was a SP1 for .NET 1.1 which fixed some bugs, one of which was the JPEG overflow vulnerability that affected everything.

newls1
12-01-05, 08:00 AM
Dude, you mean you have to select your name / user etc rather than loading straight up into Windows?

Well, got a feeling this may only work in an XP Pro type environment but probably worth the effort, this is how you log straight into Windows without any form of User / Pass required, bearing in mind this may have an impact if you have multiple user accounts.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.
3. Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply.
4. In the Automatically Log On window, type the password in the Password box, and then retype the password in the Confirm Password box.
5. Click OK to close the Automatically Log On window, and then click OK to close the User Accounts window.

Thank you, that too also works for XP, as I just did it!! Cool