PDA

View Full Version : Game issue on my PC. help?

InqWoN1776
11-29-05, 12:03 PM
When I'm playing Half-life 2 and Quake 4 I get what looks like a semi-transparent horizontal line that moves from the bottom of my crt to the top. It's really noticeable when I'm looking straight at a wall while strafing. I'm not sure what this is. I thought it had something to do with the refresh of my monitor dunno. It would be awesome to reduce this or eliminate it.

Tygerwoody
11-29-05, 01:30 PM
try different drivers? Different monitor?

InqWoN1776
11-29-05, 01:51 PM
Oh, it isn't something like a line in the monitor that is always bad. It's like a horizontal line that moves from the bottom to the top of the screen in certain games. I say line but it really isn't a line there is about a quarter inch thick "line" in the game that appears to jitter or something. It's like the line is the same texture thats supposed to be there just not moving precisely with the rest of the screen. I can't really explain any better then that sorry.

TierMann
11-29-05, 01:55 PM
Try to get a screenshot. If it doesn't show up then it could just be your monitor at that resolution. I have a slightly noticeable "hum bar" in my monitor because of the power in this house. (bar movies from top to bottom) If I run the monitor at 1024x768@75hz it'll wobble instead for the same reason.

InqWoN1776
11-29-05, 02:06 PM
I just took about 7 screenshots all of which should have had this in it but they didn't. The screens were perfect.

chowells
11-29-05, 02:15 PM
That suggests it's the monitor.

K-1
11-29-05, 02:15 PM
try turning on vsync?

InqWoN1776
11-29-05, 02:18 PM
I have been messing with the performance and quality settings under the quake 4 profile. Vsync didn't seem to help any.

Smokey
11-29-05, 02:30 PM
Maybe your monitor is getting interference from something on your desk, mobile phone, speakers etc.

InqWoN1776
11-29-05, 02:48 PM
Well, I do have my center logitech speaker sitting on top of my monitor but I just moved it, cut my speakers off and nothing was closer then one and half feet to my monitor. I still got the same thing. It does look similar to a cellphone going off next to my monitor with the exception that the whole screen doesn't jitter like that. It's only a line that seems to move from bottom to top.

OWA
11-29-05, 02:49 PM
Yeah, some sort of interference would be my guess as well.

If it's not too much trouble, try moving your computer to a different area or plugging things in to different outlets, etc. Maybe try a different surge protector as well.

InqWoN1776
11-29-05, 03:00 PM
I didn't think about interference when I put my PC at this part of the house. Other than my pc and speaker, all of the incoming electrical stuff is right beneath me at this end of the house. What sucks is Mrs decides where everything goes:( .

Acid Rain
11-29-05, 03:51 PM
What sucks is Mrs decides where everything goes:( .If you work and contribute, make a few rules of your own. You've earned it.