PDA

View Full Version : Thermaltake Shark

zoomy942
11-29-05, 12:53 PM
With my lovely SLI, it seems i may need to get a new case. those cards run pretty warm and the Superlanboy has always been a tight fit. so, with that in mind, if anyone has any good cooling ideas i'm all ears.

this is the case i am eyeing...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133144

what gets me is that honeycomb grating on the side, right above the video cards.

Cruel_Logic
11-29-05, 01:54 PM
I have the black one, one of the best looking and sturdiest cases I have ever owned. I'm sticking with mine even if I upgrade my comp. :thumbsup:

Scunner
11-29-05, 02:23 PM
I was case hunting recently, and the Final Three were the Thermaltake Armour VA8000, Thermaltake Shark, and Coolermaster Stacker.

No doubt about it, the Shark is a very nice case. Sturdy, good quality build, drive rails similar to the Antec P160 (which I liked) and a removeable motherboard tray. I was concerned about the side honeycomb; aesthetically it looks great, but with no filter over it, I've heard and read that it's a dust bunny magnet. The biggest downside for me was the case door. I'm not a fan of case doors. I also wanted more room to work with.

The Armour is another nice case, but goshdarnitalltoheck, what is it with those freaking useless flappy-hingey-door... things? :argh: The store version I checked out squeaked. Apart from that, I didn't like that the power supply mounted sideways, and if you added drives to the adjacent cage (yes, there's a drive cage beside the PSU), that pretty much eliminated the use of a PSU with a bottom fan.

In the end, I went with the Stacker. It's big. It's roomy. And it's cold enough that I could put Hell inside finally get my mother-in-law off my back. :bleh:

Banko
11-29-05, 03:23 PM
I have the black one as well. It's very nice other then it scratches easily :/ (A bounty paper towel scratched one of my sides :( )

zoomy942
11-29-05, 03:33 PM
i am thinking of going silver cause all my stuff is silver:)

zoomy942
11-29-05, 04:08 PM
i just came across this one. its not so pricey, and it has the side vents near the video cards like i want

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119075

BrianG
11-29-05, 05:04 PM
i just came across this one. its not so pricey, and it has the side vents near the video cards like i want

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119075
AFAIK, the Cavalier is not much larger than the LANBOY. Stacker is huge, but heavy. I am really digging the Shark these days, for some reason.

Maybe an inverted case design would help you???

zoomy942
11-29-05, 05:31 PM
hmm, not much bigger? dang it. i found this one and it had me at hello:)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119090

BrianG
11-29-05, 06:28 PM
You may want to check measurements, that seems LANBOY sized.

zoomy942
11-29-05, 10:10 PM
its 3 inches taller. which isnt much but it has the 2 airvents on the side. with one right on top of the video cards. i really like that.

zoomy942
11-29-05, 11:08 PM
i just ordered that case:) ive had my lanboy for a while and its not getting the cooling job done. i bought a zalman ZM-OP1 to go on that hole on the side. i'll have it pulling air out, along with the rear 120mm, so it creates negative pressure and the front 120mm has an easier job:) i only have one HD so, i'll install it in the upper 3.5" bay and i'll remove that lower drive cage so improve airflow. i might even see if my extra 120mm will somhow install on that hole near the video cards. we shall see. all in all, this will be a much better cooling environment for my SLI. hell, i was playing guild wars earlier and i put the side back on my case and it got my GPUs up to 86. it sucked.

Scunner
11-30-05, 12:54 AM
86?!? :firedevil

zoomy942
11-30-05, 05:56 AM
you. 86. it freakin sucks:). but i'll change that.

BrianG
11-30-05, 06:12 AM
I would set up the side fan for intake. My previous case had a side fan. I tried both ways and as an exhasut, the GPU ran hot. If you exhaust out the side, you won't have enough positive pressure for adequate PSU cooling.

zoomy942
11-30-05, 06:13 AM
intake it is:). i'm quite excited to see how my temps change.

Tuork
11-30-05, 04:58 PM
I love the Shark... my dream case.
Wish I was in the states :(

Greasy
11-30-05, 05:10 PM
My Shark is too crowded for SLI with the bigwater kit installed internally. I'm either getting a bigger case, or moving the pump to the external rear of my case.

zoomy942
11-30-05, 05:14 PM
i almost got the shark. it was in my newegg cart, but for $100 less, i got a couple of side vents and little more of a subdued look:) right up my alley.

Tuork
11-30-05, 06:30 PM
My Shark is too crowded for SLI with the bigwater kit installed internally. I'm either getting a bigger case, or moving the pump to the external rear of my case.

If you ever think of selling it, I might be interested.

I've been looking into prices here, and they are something like 300% what they are in the states. I believe it's cheaper for me to buy it, and ship it here.
Sad, but true.

zoomy942
11-30-05, 10:25 PM
well, good news and bad news.. i swapped the zalman on my xfx with the EVGA copper cooler that was stock on the evga. now the zalman is on the evga. i did this cause i prefer the xfx on top. anyway, now both cards run at about 71 under load. which is tons better than what it was before. but ill still love the new case and get some better airflow going on

zoomy942
12-05-05, 09:10 PM
well, i got my new case all up and setup. get this.. my cpu temps have dropped to 34 :) but i tossed on a 120mm cooler on it, so that doesnt count. but my GPUs? holy moley, before my idle was in the 50s and gaming would hit the 60's and 70's. now? idle is 42 on one, and 39 on the other. and my gaming temps are in the 50's. good freaking times