PDA

View Full Version : G5 or G7?

Pages : [1] 2 3

saturnotaku
11-29-05, 04:00 PM
I've been doing a lot of reading on these mice, and I'm going to be picking one up as a Christmas present to myself. (snow=D)

But I'm wondering which might be more practical for me. I really dig the wireless capability of the G7, along with its weight and design. The G5, OTOH, has nice textured surfaces that wouldn't seem to get gunk on them from my sweaty palms, not the mention the fact that it's $20-30 cheaper.

Which would you all recommend? And don't suggest the Copperhead because I don't like its layout or button feel.

Sazar
11-29-05, 04:17 PM
Wireless.

I could never go back to a wired mouse. A keyboard, sure, it doesn't move that much but not a mouse.

saturnotaku
11-29-05, 04:19 PM
I really am leaning that way. I liked the MX700 when I had it, but it was simply too heavy. The G7 seems to solve that problem.

Sazar
11-29-05, 04:42 PM
The only thing I prefer about the g5 over the 7 is the weights setup to customize it, but seriously is that necessary lol.

I am still loving my mx1000 and will likely hang on to it for a while. Its heavier, sure, but I like the feel :D

Honestly m8, if you are used to wireless, why go back to wired?

saturnotaku
11-29-05, 05:07 PM
What kind of surface are you using? I know these mice are having tracking problems. Logitech released a firmware update yesterday for the G5, but I don't know about the G7.

Though personally I wouldn't mind getting a new pad for the G7. The G5 I demoed used the X-Trac surface, and it was awesome. Still, it's an extra $10 I'd rather not have to spend. ;)

einstein_314
11-29-05, 05:10 PM
I love my mx700 and don't think i would ever go back to wired...it's just so inconvinient. I'm asking for a G7 for christmas...hopefully I'll get one...:)

Riptide
11-29-05, 05:32 PM
I am still using my MX700, the original one that I got when it first came out. Using it at work. Original batteries. Been dropped a few times, left off the charger, etc.. She's still going strong.

If I didn't like the MX510 so much I probably would get a G7 for my gaming PC. When my 510 dies, if ever, I'll probably switch back to wireless. It was nice to be able to adjust volume and stuff while watching a movie on the couch in the office.

Scunner
11-29-05, 08:45 PM
If FPS games are your bag, the G7 will rock your world. Out of the box, it comes with three sensitivity settings which are changeable in-game, and without having drivers installed. Once you've got the drivers installed, you can have up to five sensitivity settings, all custom configured to your requirements.

Imagine; making a break for cover, you dart across the battlefield, checking your six, and maybe even your seven, swiftly turning 180 degrees with the flick of a wrist. High or medium-high sensitivity setting is perfect here.

Once you've found your spot, you go prone, and bring up your trusty sniper rifle. Here, every twitch and movement goes against you; you need to be dead still. A couple of taps on the sensitivity buttons below the mouse wheel, and your wider arc movements are contained within a much tighter area.

I've got a couple of minor complaints about the mouse. First of all, the battery charger is nice, but often the battery doesn't eject very far, and you have to tip the unit down to let the battery slide out. Secondly, I would have preferred a similar rubber texture around the "grip" area, that the MX1000 has. In the heat of the action, the mouse has a tendency to get a little damp from sweat, which can also lead to grime in grooves if you don't wipe it down every so often.

Weight isn't an issue, and if you use a hard surface, like the Ratpadz GS, you'll be flying.

Acid Rain
11-29-05, 11:29 PM
I really am leaning that way. I liked the MX700 when I had it, but it was simply too heavy. The G7 seems to solve that problem.It solves that problem, but introduces a low battery life. About 8 to 10 hours, apparently. You'll be swapping out the battery every day with heavy use, and every other day or so with moderate use. I'd either bite the heaviness bullet and go with the MX1000 with it's long battery life, or do what I did and get the G5. Simply mount/hang the cord properly and you don't even feel it. My desk has a tray so I screwed a couple mounts into the bottom of the desk top and zip-tied the cord, leaving an adequate loop for full mouse movement.

Sazar
11-29-05, 11:49 PM
What kind of surface are you using? I know these mice are having tracking problems. Logitech released a firmware update yesterday for the G5, but I don't know about the G7.

Though personally I wouldn't mind getting a new pad for the G7. The G5 I demoed used the X-Trac surface, and it was awesome. Still, it's an extra $10 I'd rather not have to spend. ;)

I am using a pad I got at Fry's about a year ago. Working just fine so far with my mx1000. Is nylon and black so no reading errors plus has a nice little wrist support that is detached from the main unit, allowing me to position it wherever.

You should be able to use it on any surface just fine.

Smokey
11-29-05, 11:56 PM
Yes the battery life is low, but is 5-10secs, the time needed to change the batteries, really a bother? Its not the same as changing the batteries on the MX700 (which my G7 replaced), you hit one button and pop, out comes the battery :)

Sat, if you liked the MX700, I suggest staying wireless and going with the G7.

superklye
11-30-05, 12:00 AM
So...the G7 doesn't have a rechargable Lithium ion battery?

Scunner
11-30-05, 12:32 AM
So...the G7 doesn't have a rechargable Lithium ion battery?

No, it doesn't have a rechargeable Li-ion battery.

It has two! (snow=D)

Clockwise from the top: recharger unit with USB port for wireless receiver, mouse, two Li-ion batteries, USB wireless receiver.

superklye
11-30-05, 12:36 AM
so then what's the big deal about the battery running down?

How does it compare to the MX1000 battery life? Because I swear, I cannot kill this thing.

Scunner
11-30-05, 12:50 AM
G7 battery life is significantly shorter. A day of hard mousing and you can expect to swap the batteries out. The MX1000 has godly battery life, and I was expecting the same with the G7. Sadly, not so. If when you swap out you put the flat in the charger, you're good to go in an hour or two, tops.

G7 battery life is so far from being a big deal that all other big deals talk about it behind its back and steal its lunch money.

I use my MX1000 for surfing, and the G7 for games that require the ... sensitive approach.

j0j081
11-30-05, 05:38 AM
I am making the same decision, with the Copperhead added in for the fun of it. I was gonna go with the G5 but now I'm not sure again. I've been using an mx700 for ages with no complaints other than no x64 driver support.

Peacemaker
11-30-05, 01:51 PM
Hi everyone ! I just got one of MX1000 for testing (regular using MX700) and this mouse is GREAT ! feels much better with it than mx700 (its bigger). but my Q is - maybe one of you know, what is latest revision of MX1000 ? I want to pick up one. This what i got for testing is rev. 1.5.

thx,

greetings,

Peacemaker.

Acid Rain
11-30-05, 04:10 PM
Yes the battery life is low, but is 5-10secs, the time needed to change the batteries, really a bother? Seems like it would wear out rapidly. In out in out , before you know it, you're taping the battery to make it stay.

A full charge is supposed to take 10 hours or more, with anything quicker being the high usb power draw mode. Not sure what the repurcussions of always doing the rapid charge are though.

I geuss I'm just a fan of not having to constantly fiddle with my otherwise perfect equipment. I'm also a product longevity fan.

a12ctic
11-30-05, 05:22 PM
i recently purchased a wireless mouse and wow... recharging was so lame i returned it back to my old ibm mo28bo, best mouse i have EVER USED, ive used razor mice and pretty much every high end mouse out and nothing compares to this one (maby its because ive been using for 4 years!!!) same with my keyboard, some old gateway keyboard, its just perfect, the buttons are just right.... To me this stuff owns anything out right now... just an opinion, dont start bitching trying to convience me why your logitecs and razors are beter... i dont care this is my opinion.

Smokey
11-30-05, 06:08 PM
i recently purchased a wireless mouse and wow... recharging was so lame i returned it back to my old ibm mo28bo, best mouse i have EVER USED, ive used razor mice and pretty much every high end mouse out and nothing compares to this one (maby its because ive been using for 4 years!!!) same with my keyboard, some old gateway keyboard, its just perfect, the buttons are just right.... To me this stuff owns anything out right now... just an opinion, dont start bitching trying to convience me why your logitecs and razors are beter... i dont care this is my opinion.

There is no such thing as the best of anything, as we all have different needs and tastes :) Also another point is that sometimes too big of a chnge is too hard to get use to by some.

As to the battery clip on the G7 waring out over time, yes that is possible. When I bought the MX700, everyone was raving about it, but about 6 months down the road, the mouse wouldnt sit in the charging cradle properly and wouldnt charge, had to charge the batteries in a seperate charger.

Ive been using the fast charging with the G7 and it hasnt had any ill effect on my PC, Im overclocking my cpu @230fsb, overclocking videocard@470/1200 and have 5 usb ports in use, all with a cheap Q-Tec 550w psu!

Acid Rain
12-01-05, 03:23 PM
Ive been using the fast charging with the G7 and it hasnt had any ill effect on my PC, Yet. ;)

Actually I think it harms the batteries more than the PC.

Superfly
12-01-05, 04:21 PM
MS6000 FTW TBH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my mouse

Scunner
12-01-05, 05:13 PM
Actually I think it harms the batteries more than the PC.

It doesn't.

Lithium Ion batteries have no memory, meaning a full discharge-recharge cycle isn't required. A typical 4.2v cell can be rapid charged with no ill effects in approximately 3 hours. The G7 mouse battery is 3.7v and charges in boost mode in about 2 hours, and although using boost mode over USB pulls more power than the USB spec lists, the faster recharge is better for the battery. In fact a rapid charge is recommended for most battery types (NiCd, NiMH, Li-ion)

Frequent partial charges prolong the life of Lithium Ion batteries. Full discharges actually shorten battery life.

jAkUp
12-01-05, 05:21 PM
But the G5/G7 have no forward buttons :( WTF were logitech thinking. I am always trying to hit the forward button... but its not there...

Personally, I would go for the G5 though ;) I use a G5 on the work machine, and a Copperhead on the home machine. I like the Copperhead better overall... but it does take some getting used to.

AK-A
12-01-05, 05:38 PM
I got the G5 because I dont like the color of the G7. Nor did I like the slickness of the side. I dont know why they felt like they had the change it, but it was a bad idea. If only it had two side buttons..