PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Developer Quotes (performance, etc)

Zelda_fan
11-29-05, 11:33 PM
source
http://www.waiting4oblivion.com/developer_quotes5.html

Ya, seriously, we would be stupid to make a game that you all would buy, only to have to put it on a shelf for 2 years until a computer was out that you could actually play it on. That is NOT what we did.

I wont give specs, but I am using the SAME computer I worked on Bloodmoon with, and even after all of the wear and tear from the graphics programs used to work on Oblivion, I playtest with it as well and it maintains just fine. The only upgrade I have had in the last 3 years on this thing was an Audigy 2 sound card, and thats only cause I fried the old sound card.

Too good to be true? No. It's not in the graphics, it's in the compression. A good, solid compression will allow those "too good to be true" graphics to play back with a great framerate on an "average" computer. I consider my computer here at work slightly below average. Hope that relieves some of the forehead sweating.

Compression in the sense that the graphics will be pipleined smoother through the CPU/GPU. Of course, everything is compressed, so perhaps what I should be saying is optimization. All you can do is take my word for it though, so I am probably preaching for no reason, heh. You will see. The performance is pretty impressive for what all is being rendered.

this is very good to hear. Looks like Oblivion will not pwn my PC.

superklye
11-29-05, 11:44 PM
It'd be nice if he gave specs. What he considers average could be my machine, or it could be a P4 3GHz w/HT and a 6600GT.

Zelda_fan
11-29-05, 11:46 PM
http://www.waiting4oblivion.com/developer_quotes_offsite2.html

here is another good read

And if he says his average machine was what he used to develope bloodmoon, then he couldn't have have a 6800 card becasue it didn't exist at that time.

Edge
11-30-05, 12:01 AM
That's good to hear, nice that it won't end up like Battlefield 2 where they have such messed up and unneccissary hardware requirements when the game can run fine on older hardware. Like a PCI FX 5200 running the game but a TI4600 not :rolleyes:

Hope this doesn't mean they aren't scaling the graphics back to compensate for older hardware, but they seem to be putting a good amount of effort into it so that doesn't seem to be the case. FINALLY a game that uses displacement mapping and SM3.0 features (though mostly just for performance boosting reasons, it seems)

superklye
11-30-05, 12:02 AM

here is another good read

And if he says his average machine was what he used to develope bloodmoon, then he couldn't have have a 6800 card becasue it didn't exist at that time.
touche

Zelda_fan
11-30-05, 12:04 AM
That's good to hear, nice that it won't end up like Battlefield 2 where they have such messed up and unneccissary hardware requirements when the game can run fine on older hardware. Like a PCI FX 5200 running the game but a TI4600 not :rolleyes:

Hope this doesn't mean they aren't scaling the graphics back to compensate for older hardware, but they seem to be putting a good amount of effort into it so that doesn't seem to be the case. FINALLY a game that uses displacement mapping and SM3.0 features (though mostly just for performance boosting reasons, it seems)

I think it's going to be like Doom3 as far as performance goes. If you have a 7800GTX it's gonna look like sex, but if you have a Radeon 9700, it'll still look good.

nutcrackr
11-30-05, 12:20 AM
I'm expecting that the game will be scaled back from what we've seen in screenshots earlier, something like what DX:IW looked like compared to it's final version.

CaptNKILL
11-30-05, 12:25 AM
Thats some good info :)

Took a while to read though... I'll wait till tomorrow to read that other one... yeesh :p

And I cant WAIT for this game... :bounce:

jolle
11-30-05, 06:44 AM
I might sell my liver and get a 7800GT or something, for that TSAA goodness.. with all this vegitation it has to pull its own weight, one would think..
Read that bit on Hand-To-Hand skill, seems its really good if you get skilled, that would rock, put the smack down on anyone who gives you lip with your gauntleted fist of fury..

SH64
11-30-05, 03:23 PM
Good to hear .. i'll do anything just the play this game at its best.

Acid Rain
11-30-05, 04:59 PM

here is another good read Actually, there is a lot of good reading there.

It wasn't specifically released to say "HAY LOOK AT R L337 WATORZ!!1", it was released because it's a pretty sceneLol, gotta love Bethsoft. Good people, good product.

CaptNKILL
11-30-05, 05:01 PM
Lol, gotta love Bethsoft. Good people, good product.
I agree :)

Belarnion
12-01-05, 06:21 AM
About the question how you will get the best IQ possible: (No surprise really)

If you donít want to compromise on a single thing, then youíll need a high end PC with one of the latest video cards. If thatís not something you have, or can afford, then you may look at getting the [Xbox]360 simply because it makes more economic sense.
From an interview at Dailygame.net (http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/005004.php)

agentkay
12-01-05, 06:40 AM
I hope they donīt pull a King Kong (Gamers Edition performance) on the PC version. There have been quite a few PC games lately that donīt run the way they could/should and most of them are cross-platformed with the X360.

Slybri
12-01-05, 01:30 PM
Well this is good to hear. I was getting ready to junk my AGP 6800gt to get a 7800gtx along with a PCI-e mobo and new processor, depending on how Oblivion runs. If it runs smooth at at least 1200X1024 I can wait another few months to upgrade. Then again, I might just go for it now anyway. FEMA money is burning a hole in my poket.

Zelda_fan
12-01-05, 11:32 PM
If you don’t want to compromise on a single thing, then you’ll need a high end PC with one of the latest video cards. If that’s not something you have, or can afford, then you may look at getting the [Xbox]360 simply because it makes more economic sense.

Notice he said ONE video card. This is good to hear that you won't need a 7800GTX SLI to run Oblivion in all it's glory.

jAkUp
12-02-05, 01:58 AM
Given the screenshots we have been seeing, I would be suprised if it ran with everything maxed on a single card... maybe at 1024x768. Or maybe they are just coding the game right ;) Hopefully so.

CaptNKILL
12-02-05, 03:01 AM
I just hope its better than Morrowind when that was released. Talk about horrible performance. That game ran like crap until I got my Athlon 64... 3 years after the game was released. Newer video cards didnt really do much (except at very high-res with AA\AF), it was just an extremely poorly coded engine trying to deal with some extremely complex scenery.

Whatever happens though, Im going to have money saved up just in case my system isnt giving me the Oblivion experience I deserve :D

j0j081
12-02-05, 06:44 AM
whens it due out anyway?

agentkay
12-02-05, 06:58 AM
Q1 2006, but some said that it might end up Q2.