PDA

View Full Version : Yonah

Pages : [1] 2

deimos47ca
11-30-05, 03:37 AM
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2627&p=10

4 Ignition start
I fell out of chair when I saw the power consumption, considering that although the performance is usually close to A64 X2.

Superfly
11-30-05, 04:11 AM
Quote: At 2.0GHz, Yonah is basically equal to, if not slightly slower than an Athlon 64 X2 running at the same clock speed in virtually all of the tests we ran. The important distinction here is that Intel is able to achieve that level of performance, without an on-die memory controller. But there is also one more thing to note, Yonah can offer that level of performance with significantly lower power consumption:

Like I said Intel will win 2006.

overheat
11-30-05, 04:50 AM
looking forward to it!!!

AthlonXP1800
11-30-05, 06:53 AM
Like I said Intel will win 2006.

No it do not seem like Intel will win 2006, possible by a 3 month win in Q4 when they launch next generation Intel Conroe desktop CPU and AMD will launch 65nm Athlon 64 X2 CPUs with lots of tweaks and improvements so who win the performance in tests are remain to be seen.

I am really very disappointed in Yonah's power consumption, I was expected it to be around 50 to 65W but... 92W is very high for notebook, the battery wont last 3 hours with 92W for desktop replacement notebook. Now Yonah is put me off next purchase of laptop, I will instead get dual core Turion 64 laptop. In the next few months AMD will launch dual core Turion 64 35W Taylor for low power notebook, it will compete with single core Yonah (probably 46W) and dual core Turion 64 62W Trinidad for desktop replacement notebook to compete with dual core Yonah 92W.

lightman
11-30-05, 08:21 AM
I am really very disappointed in Yonah's power consumption, I was expected it to be around 50 to 65W but... 92W is very high for notebook,

What is in "Total System Power Consumption" that you don't understand ?

92W isn't the power consumed by Yonah alone...

And, by the way, the more interesting number is the difference under load : Yonah 108, X2 144, diff=36 W. And that's the difference in power consumption between the processors alone (being everything else equal)...

ViN86
11-30-05, 08:49 AM
first off, its dual core so thats two cpu's pumpin out some heat. secondly, its based on the 65 nm process, so its actually a good number all considering.

jAkUp
11-30-05, 06:39 PM
They will win in 2006? They are still losing in gaming performance.

Looks better, but we need more. AMD is gonna have their new babies soon too.

Riptide
11-30-05, 06:47 PM
I think it will be funny if jAkUp ends up buying an Intel based system next year because there is that possibility... don't deny it. ;)

slick
11-30-05, 06:48 PM
AMD will probably sweep the floor again with M2, but as far as mobile processors go, Intel has AMD beat, even today.

I'd love to see some TRUE Intel/AMD competition. True competition makes thing much more interesting, a la video cards.

Smokey
11-30-05, 06:55 PM
I think it will be funny if jAkUp ends up buying an Intel based system next year because there is that possibility... don't deny it. ;)
Then he will go back to AMB in 2007 when the A64 x4 come out :p

superklye
11-30-05, 06:57 PM
AMD will probably sweep the floor again with M2, but as far as mobile processors go, Intel has AMD beat, even today.

I'd love to see some TRUE Intel/AMD competition. True competition makes thing much more interesting, a la video cards.
Are the M2-based processors going to be a completely new/redesigned core? Or is it just going to be, say, a modified Toledo or Manchester core to be socket 940 and have DDR2 support? Because that was the impression I was under.

nVestor
11-30-05, 07:06 PM
I've been looking forward to Yonah for some time now. If they overclock anywhere near what Pentium M's of the past had, I very well may consider Intel over AMD X2 for my next build. (rudolf)

ViN86
11-30-05, 07:22 PM
well, that is one department that intel does have its act together in. hard to deny that the pentium M is a nice chip and im sure the Yonah will be as well, assuming they keep a similar architecture.

however, its going to take a lot for them to catch up to AMD in the enthusiasts market.... i mean just compare athlon64's to pentiums on benchmarks and in SLI. AMD is wiping the floor with them.

Sazar
11-30-05, 07:28 PM
I can't wait to test these babies in the demo lab :cool:

AthlonXP1800
11-30-05, 08:44 PM
92W isn't the power consumed by Yonah alone...

Yes it is, look at X2 desktop power, it consumed 109W at idle, it is in line with AMD official thermal design power of 110W.

Riptide
11-30-05, 09:05 PM
Or is it just going to be, say, a modified Toledo or Manchester core to be socket 940 and have DDR2 support? Because that was the impression I was under.
If that is the case....

/yawn

AthlonXP1800
11-30-05, 09:08 PM
They will win in 2006? They are still losing in gaming performance.

Looks better, but we need more. AMD is gonna have their new babies soon too.

Yeah also Intel still losing in dual core performance and AMD now outsell Intel in retail CPUs for the first time. Yonah dual core look better but single core dont look better compete with dual core Turion 64 Taylor sport with DDR2 memory controller and support DDR2 RAM memory.

Q
11-30-05, 09:10 PM
I don't expect Yonah to trump the M2. However, I expect the first revision of Yonah to completely ass-rape AMD.

Why? Intel got caught with its pants down with the Pentium 4. When they were initially developing the P4 they went with a certain set of design criteria and had NO idea that AMD was finally going to become serious competition. Instead of throwing out the P4 design which is still being trounced per clock by the P3 (see the P-M), it just kept cranking the speed up further and further until it hit the wall. If there wasn't for the thermal barrier and Intel kept bumping the clocks at the rate they were, the X2 would NOT be so dominant as it is today.

Intel is one of the most powerful computer companies in the world, the most behind MS if I'm correct. They have resources galore and more engineers than you can shake a stick at. Do you honestly think they they are going to let this PUNK KID (AMD, which I love and have never used anything but :D ) dominate them for two or three years straight? Nope.

Imagine Yonah clocked at 3.8ghz (like the highest current P4) which it could do thermally. Now imagine revisions and, who knows, an onboard memory controller. I know that AMD isn't just sitting around with thier thumbs up thier asses, but Intel is a giant and they are likely quite pissed that they've been awakened. If Yonah doesn't get the crown, Revision 2 will.

Save this post. If I'm wrong, I will let Jakup and Gib and possibly Gib's mom ALL have thier ways with me.

The horror. :zombie7:
(xmasgrin)

jAkUp
11-30-05, 09:21 PM
This is the first version of Yonah. We should see slightly better, but what you see is about what to expect from Yonah. They have an actual silicon chip... since CPU's don't have drivers we shouldn't expect much more.

Intel needs better attitudes before they will win in gaming performance.

"Who cares about gaming performance? Gaming is only about how many guys you can kill at a time."

That is an actual quote, from an actual Intel employee. Granted, he wasn't an engineer or anything, but with that sort of attitude they will never be better.

Q
11-30-05, 09:25 PM

"Who cares about gaming performance? Gaming is only about how many guys you can kill at a time."

That is an actual quote, from an actual Intel employee. Granted, he wasn't an engineer or anything, but with that sort of attitude they will never be better.

Jakup, why dont you THINK before you speak...er type!?!

Intel OWNS Quake 3, the DEFINITIVE benchmark for what, ten years now?

Get with the program. Intel IS gaming.

[/Bull****] (santa2)

What was the date on that quote? I can't believe with AMD's success, much of it due to gamers, that anyone in Intel with the exception of a receptionist or custodian could think that now. If so, why not just write AMD a check?

jAkUp
11-30-05, 09:28 PM
hahaha quake3 :D Yea your right :D

And that quote was from a few months ago... He is just a rep, so his view isn't the view of Intel.. but it just kinda suprised me.

TierMann
11-30-05, 09:46 PM
This is the first version of Yonah. We should see slightly better, but what you see is about what to expect from Yonah. They have an actual silicon chip... since CPU's don't have drivers we shouldn't expect much more.

That's not true. For some it's how many frames per second you can kill that same ammount of people at one time.

Someone should let Alienware know that no one cares about game performance too. They need to rework their entire strategy. "Alienware: Calculate Pi Really Fast!".

I'm going to have to go along with those numbers being the CPU power consumption too. Unless you're running the same mobo then you're comparing 2 platforms when you compare total power, not cpus. The power is on par with X2 specs too, as AthlonXP1800 said.

Superfly
12-01-05, 02:28 AM
erm guys Yonah is a mobile chip unless Im completely muddled up - Conroe is the desktop version that will compete with socket M.

When I say Intel will win in 2006 with Yonah I am referring to the the mobile CPU market, perhaps I should have been more about that in my other post.

Conroe has yet to manifest itself in any form and until it does I dont think anyone can really say who wins the desktop CPU battle in 2006. One thing is for sure though, Intel are back with decent silicon and I think both Yonah and Conroe will be well worth keeping an eye on.

Subtestube
12-01-05, 03:02 AM
Bear in mind that Yonah is still very much the successor to Dothan. Conroe and Merom are a genuinely new architecture, from what I can deduce. Sure, it's going to have similarities to the P-M architecture, but it's also going to have some pretty serious differences. For one thing, it's going to have proper SSE3 integration from the start (it was definitely tacked on to Yonah), and proper 64 bit functionality (Yes, the P-4 w/ extensions has all the functions, but the performance isn't there).

I think it's going to be a very interesting year. Initially at the very least Intel is going to "own" notebook computing, but to be fair, they kind of already do. I'm really interested in the that 2nd Half of 2006 when we finally see the real death of Netburst... my suspicion is that at that stage, competition will well and truly return to the desktop CPU market.

jAkUp
12-01-05, 12:44 PM
Turion is a better CPU than Pentium M IMO. Faster. Battery life is not quite as long, but I don't care about that :D