PDA

View Full Version : The industry is heading for a crash? So says the Inq..

Pages : [1] 2 3

MrSavoy
11-30-05, 01:01 PM
Guys take a look at this editorial. I found the writer raised alot of interesting points that I'm inclined to agree with.:(

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27976

retsam
11-30-05, 01:17 PM
i believe some of what he is saying... just look at the games the industry has been putting out as of late. its all 3d all eye candy and no substance. this is just like hollywood. i want a game with gameplay, sure having great graphics is cool but i want to be entertained for hours on end. in the last year the only game that has been able to hold my attention for a few hours was WOW. bf2 was ok, quake 4 had great graphics but the game play was stale... i want something diffrent and new damn it! i agree that creativity is gone in the pc gaming industry.

CaptNKILL
11-30-05, 02:23 PM
Good article... but I think everyone should wait until Oblivion and STALKER are released before "flushing the toilet of the gaming industry" ;)

Gaco
11-30-05, 02:26 PM
i believe some of what he is saying... just look at the games the industry has been putting out as of late. its all 3d all eye candy and no substance. this is just like hollywood. i want a game with gameplay, sure having great graphics is cool but i want to be entertained for hours on end. in the last year the only game that has been able to hold my attention for a few hours was WOW. bf2 was ok, quake 4 had great graphics but the game play was stale... i want something diffrent and new damn it! i agree that creativity is gone in the pc gaming industry.

Did you try Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy? That was different and had a compelling story that made me wanna play to the end = gameplay (xmasmile)

Tygerwoody
11-30-05, 02:28 PM
we need a completely NEW type game to come out.... I remember when Sacrafice just came out... SOOO FUN... and SOOO different. Its still one of my favorite games. "All of your manahoars have been slaughtered" (rudolf)

Riptide
11-30-05, 02:34 PM
People as much as they complain about it love the FPS. That's why it's overdone. I believe they don't come out with another Wing Commander/Privateer because rightly or wrongly they don't think it will sell well. Same goes for another Homeworld (3?). I honestly think they don't believe it would sell.

Gaco
11-30-05, 02:41 PM
we need a completely NEW type game to come out.... I remember when Sacrafice just came out... SOOO FUN... and SOOO different. Its still one of my favorite games. "All of your manahoars have been slaughtered" (rudolf)

Oh yeah ditto! That game actually had a lot of replayabilty! And I sometimes laughed it occasionally sounded like he said "All of your mana*****s have been slaughtered!".

Some of the big spells in the game were hugely impressive for the time. Man has Shiny lost it's glory since then, I really hope they still have a chance on regaining some of it. Actually I wouldn't mind a total remake or even sequal to Sacrifice just so I could play- and enjoy it once more :)

Riptide
11-30-05, 02:45 PM
Hell I would pay $60 for a copy of a remade original Wing Commander complete with 3d acceleration, high resolutions, and updated artwork. Never gonna happen ofcourse but I bet if it didn't cost to much to produce there would be enough of a market for it that they might make some money.

Ninjaman09
11-30-05, 02:45 PM
Best Inq article I've read.

MrSavoy
11-30-05, 02:47 PM
^^
I agree, which is why I thought it would be thread starter worthy here. :)

Tygerwoody
11-30-05, 03:17 PM
wow I actually just read it.... definitely best Inquirer article ever. So true. When things go pop(like gaming is) they decline.

Funny to think gaming is now pop, when I remember growing up all the strange looks I would get by my family members when I would ask for a game for christmas. They would be like "YOU are (5 to whatever) YEARS OLD! YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS PLAYING GAMES! ENJOY LIFE INSTEAD OF BEING STUCK TO THAT DAMN NINTENDO!". I would basically get in trouble for asking for a video game for christmas or birthday. Nowadays for kids its like "which games would you like for christmas" :rolleyes:

Ninjaman09
11-30-05, 03:22 PM
wow I actually just read it.... definitely best Inquirer article ever. So true. When things go pop(like gaming is) they decline.

Funny to think gaming is now pop, when I remember growing up all the strange looks I would get by my family members when I would ask for a game for christmas. They would be like "YOU are (5 to whatever) YEARS OLD! YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS PLAYING GAMES! ENJOY LIFE INSTEAD OF BEING STUCK TO THAT DAMN NINTENDO!". I would basically get in trouble for asking for a video game for christmas or birthday. Nowadays for kids its like "which games would you like for christmas" :rolleyes:
LOL so true.

zoomy942
11-30-05, 03:37 PM
Did you try Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy? That was different and had a compelling story that made me wanna play to the end = gameplay (xmasmile)

besides those damn mini games as the kid sneaking around:(

other than that, yeah it was an amazing game

Toss3
11-30-05, 03:46 PM
Great article... but uknow, nintendo are trying to come up with something new with their new console! But most people just laugh at them and say that they will fail... so why do you beg for a different type of game, when you just ignore or laugh at the one that's trying to do something new? I mean, it's not like I'm getting a nintendo revolution or anything; it has crappy graphics! So you nag about graphics being the only thing better in todays games, when you have an xbox360 connected to your telly or one on pre-order! I'm not telling you I'm better or anything, I'm getting an xbox360 on friday, but these thing makes you wonder sometimes...
As a sidenote:I really don't need anything that would be "new", I just want a game with good graphics and a good story, that can't be too much asked now can it? I haven't got to play the latest fps shooters and the newest games, but they really don't sound that interesting; they sound like doom3(run and shoot)!
Well there are some good titles in the horizon, so I really don't think the gaming industry will die anytime soon... (santa2)

hordaktheman
11-30-05, 03:49 PM
Skimmed through it and thought it was a load of toss. The claim that 90% of games are crap is just plain, well, crap.

It's no secret that the more games you play, the more jaded you become. The problem is that it applies to everything you ever experience, including movies, music, food, and your wife. The more you have of something, the more you think "I've seen this before", which doesn't say anything about the actual quality of it.

So, the problem isn't that the games aren't any good, but that they're aimed at newcomers to gaming rather than veterans. That still doesn't mean the industry is crashing, nor that originality is dying. Hell, just look at the recent batch of pop-corn summer flicks. Many of them have been both good and original despite their target group.

J-Mag
11-30-05, 03:51 PM
It's not like the gaming industry is going to disappear. If there is demand in the market and knowledge of how to satisfy that demand then an industry will never die.

OWA
11-30-05, 04:17 PM
Interesting but I don't agree with a lot of it.

Shaitan
11-30-05, 04:53 PM
"its all 3d all eye candy and no substance."

True. Game devs teams are relying way too much on eye candy to sell. Prolly cause they lack the imagination collectively to make good games these days. They make games that look like sex. lol But it all goes to quake after that. Not to mention there should be huge differences between the console versions and the PC versions. There always was way back when. Now? We have the console version, and the PC port of said console version.

You are lucky if ya get 10 to 15 hours actual play time. Way back? Oh yeah, you`d get way more actual gameplay.

"It's no secret that the more games you play, the more jaded you become"

It is not JADED to see our PC games getting more and more dumbed down as every year passes. We got used to the devs of old giving us quality gameplay, and now we get glitz with no substance, and we wonder wtf the gameplay went.

Lastly, ya gotta ask yourselves wtf devs way back when gave us more game, with less resources, but now we get less game and they have way more resources. The death of Indy devs too is the kiss of death. Big Publishers are wanting to cash in on easy money ideas. So we get carbon copy game deving. Lovely.

I don`t think FPSs being overdone is a problem. I do see a problem with say a BF 2 game having such and such a feature, and azzwipes like Nova literally stealing the ideas verbatim, and using them instead of trying to come up with something original. Now if every other dev team does that, we got the same freaking gameplay, but with different skins. Which imho does more to hurt the genre.

nukem
11-30-05, 05:16 PM
wow I agree 100% with what this guy is saying. Anyway this is were I think open source kicks in. Open source projects can do new and creative games with out taking big risks. If a big company really likes the game idea they could hire the developers/artists to make some better graphics, more robust engine, and port it to winblows ;).

Gaco
11-30-05, 05:17 PM
"its all 3d all eye candy and no substance."

True. Game devs teams are relying way too much on eye candy to sell.

But it's our fault. I can't count how many times a new game has been announced with a couple of early screens or that there has been released new screenshots for a certain game, and in the news there are ALWAYS a bunch of people just commenting on the "crappy graphics of the game". It's sad, really...

Acid Rain
11-30-05, 05:24 PM
sure having great graphics is cool but i want to be entertained for hours on end. X3 for you, me hearty. (mikec)

OWA
11-30-05, 05:34 PM
But it's our fault. I can't count how many times a new game has been announced with a couple of early screens or that there has been released new screenshots for a certain game, and in the news there are ALWAYS a bunch of people just commenting on the "crappy graphics of the game". It's sad, really...

I think it depends on the gamer and what they're looking for. For me, I guess I'd say computers are more my hobby and games are just a part of that. I get just as excited about the technology and graphics as I do the game itself. So, I want the games to showcase the technology.

jAkUp
11-30-05, 05:37 PM
Basically guys, the cost to make games have skyrocketed, and resources have only increased by small amounts. It is tremendously difficult to make a game nowadays that is more than 15 hours or so. It takes too long, and the longer the game takes to make, the more money the company loses.

They even say that in the Fear making of video, games are much more complicated now than the games of yesterday, and takes much more time, and you need a team of bigger people. More people means more money the company is losing everday they work on the game without shipping it.

Not to mention that PC gaming sales have dropped off since '99.

Of course we would all love 30 hour games, but until PC Gaming sells more games, we won't see it. At least not in scripted games. This is not hard to understand at all.

Games are not getting more "jaded."
Please tell me how the original Doom is better than Half Life from a gameplay standpoint. Please tell me how RTCW is superior to Fear. Please tell me how Battlefield is superior to Battlefield 2. Please tell me how quake is superior to quake4.

Games get better all the time. Gamers expect more everytime, AKA you get jaded.

H3avyM3tal
11-30-05, 05:47 PM
That was a load of crap. Seriously...

They are using Madden as an example... What can you possible make in a game like that, that would be considered revolutional?! It is a sports game! I bet that even when it will become like real life, someone is gnna bitach about something...

There was this article over at gamespot, where analists forsee that the gaming industry will make more money than the music industry (!!!) in 10 years.

The game industry is not going anywhere. And what the hell is wrong about a game that is like GTA, with elements of MK, and driving like NFS?! Sounds to me like someone has taken a step in the right direction (even if this was sarcasm). A game that has it all. That is the name of the game.

And for the love of whatever, this is not the 80s!
I think someone at the INQ should take a day off to play with their kids or something.

Vagrant Zero
11-30-05, 06:08 PM
Morgan Web can crash into my crotch...with her face. That is all.