PDA

View Full Version : SLI and AFR Mode / V-Sync

Peoples-Agent
11-30-05, 12:19 PM
Hi folks,

I am going insane with this blasted PC!
Using 81.95 drivers, I want to play FEAR with AFR and V Sync enabled.
Trouble is, when either the built in profile is used it disables V Sync by itself or if I set it to auto select and try creating a manual profile and using a Pre-defined setting i.e like the smashing one someone on here made, it just then resorts to SFR mode.

Using DXTweaker I have been able to get Triple Buffering to work great with SFR mode but that STUPID bug that screws up the Slow Mo mode in FEAR spoils all that. Why is it so hard to use AFR, VSync and DXTweaker. Works fine in other games ....and I can't play with the tearing, such a shame a great game is gathering dust on my shelf and I am now starting to feel like this SLI is a waste of time.

Does anybody know how I can get this working?

DXTweaker for Triple Buffering with V Sync and some kind of AFR/AFR2 mode for FEAR.

Cheers,

- D -

OWA
11-30-05, 04:09 PM
Hmm, I don't know. Vsync seems to work okay for me in FEAR. I just have FEAR's profile set to app control for the vsync option and in game I set vsync on. Framerate is capped at 60 which is the refresh rate for my LCD.

Guz
11-30-05, 07:16 PM
OWA are you using AFR or SFR mode?

OWA
11-30-05, 07:25 PM
AFR. I only checked FEAR though since that's the one he mentioned. Actually, I take that back. I also tried Quake 4 with vsync and it uses AFR but I did that a couple of days ago.

Blacklash
11-30-05, 10:29 PM
That is how you handle vsync, AA, AF or whatever. If the game has a setting do it from there and set the driver to application preference. You only force from the CP when no option is available in the game.

I am not playing FEAR and I have vsync working in other games with SLi in the manner I described.

If this still doesn't work you could get Rewt's NVtray application and find the premade NV FEAR profile to delete it(I have BF2 highlighted here and it's done ths same way). Like so:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9639/app7yz.png

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8356/appdel4ww.png

Then recreate a new profile in the CP from the beginning. Aka point it at the .exe and then add what you wish. Again, I'd keep things that can be set in the game to application pref.

Peoples-Agent
12-01-05, 02:22 AM
Yeah, I can create a profile and force the mode.
But the strange thing is, even if I then delete the old one from nvapps.xml it reverts to SFR mode and nothing I can do about it. I assume that's one built into the game.

It's the game that has the issues, BF2 ...Q4 ....and others all work great.
It's just this blasted FEAR, unfortunately it was also this game alone that swayed my decision to invest in SLi. Doh!

Will see what I can do with that program to.

Some consolation is that if you use DXTweaker, triple buffering works a charm with the SFR mode in FEAR, only issue is the broken Slow Mo mode which is a shame.

OWA
12-01-05, 10:11 AM
Try setting the SLI profile to AFR, make it read only by including the predefined tag, set global SLI option to autodetect and leave the control panel set on the global settings. Start FEAR, alt-tab out of the game, bring up the control panel, select the FEAR profile and click apply, and then return to the game. See if that makes it use AFR?

Guz
12-01-05, 12:02 PM
OWA so you use AFR with vsync and it works fine? When you enable the load balancing bar does it show at your left when vsync is on? For my setup only SFR works with vsync, and it shows a horizontal line.

OWA
12-01-05, 12:54 PM
I'm actually not sure about the load balancer. There has been some discussion about whether you're actually using SLI when it doesn't show up. I thought most agreed that SLI was still working even if the load balancer doesn't show. That is, most seemed to think it was a bug with the load balancer. With that in mind, with vsync on, sometimes the load balancer shows up for me, sometimes it doesn't.

Below is an example of it working that I posted in the Quake 4 SLI thread.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4630/quake4sliloadbalancer6oe.th.jpg (http://img37.imageshack.us/my.php?image=quake4sliloadbalancer6oe.jpg)

I can't seem to get the load balancer to show up in FEAR with vsync on though but something is going on. At a save point I was playing around with last night, I'd get 30fps with vsync on and just using a single GPU. With SLI enabled, I was getting 40 in that same spot. I don't totally understand that though b/c if the framerate is below 60, it seems like it should have dropped to 30 in both cases (since no triple buffering was being used).

Guz
12-01-05, 05:52 PM
Gotta do test runs with TB on and see if indeed fps percentages are the same with AFR vsync on and off. If the test runs are the same then SLI should be working. I did tests with AFR and vsync on and no TB thinking TB was working with the nvidia control panel, but now that I know it doesn´t work, then that would not say much cause fps below 60 will all show as 30, so fps will not yield comparable results.

Nop just tested but cannot enable vsync, TB and AFR at the same time. Everytime i run dxtweaker with TB, vsync turns off once SLI uses AFR.