PDA

View Full Version : Decent replacement for WD Raptors 34GB?

Idoru
11-30-05, 02:14 PM
I've had two first generation Raptors in RAID 1 array for a couple of years... thinking of upgrading and sticking them in a second Pc for my wife. What's the consensus on reliable and fast alternatives - and why? Many thanks.

Riptide
11-30-05, 02:21 PM
Well the 74GB model will be the only step up in speed you can really take. The 36GB models are still faster than any 7200RPM drives on the market. So IOW the only step "up" will be to buy another Raptor.

If you want to trade off a little speed for a huge increase in storage (and decrease in cost overall) you might consider some of the 300+ GB models out there that spin @ 7200RPM but have 16MB of cache. Still won't be as speedy as the 36GB raptors but you get a lot of extra space out of them.

Jak Crow
12-14-05, 02:19 AM
I got 2 40GB SATA II Samsung drives and they've ended up being as fast as the Raptor.

LBJM
12-14-05, 07:03 PM
I've had two first generation Raptors in RAID 1 array for a couple of years... thinking of upgrading and sticking them in a second Pc for my wife. What's the consensus on reliable and fast alternatives - and why? Many thanks.

I'm using the 74GB raptors

here's an old review that has the 35GB version vs the 74GB version
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=raptor74&page=1