PDA

View Full Version : Graphical glitches with MSI 7800 GTX. Help :(

Simonk83
11-30-05, 05:36 PM
Just got an MSI 7800 GTX yesterday and I'm having a few issues :( I seem to be having problems with the HardOCP Farcry benchmark. I get really bad corruption on the River benchmark. I'm totally clueless about nVidia drivers as I've always used ATI and the nVidia control panel has totally confused me so it might be something I've selected wrong in there. Is someone able to do me a favour and list the settings that are generally good to use? I've got AA and AF on Application Preference so I guess its not a problem with that, but all the options like Transparancy AA (I have it set to SS) and the other bits and bobs I just kind of guessed by looking at the help for each item.

Anyway, using the Farcry bench I set it to Shadel Model 3, HDR off (that's another thing, with HDR on I just get a black screen! The FPS and benchmark position is still ticking over in the top left of the screen but there are literally no graphics ), and I tried various different AA and AF settings, but on the River level I straight away get what seems like tearing (I tried setting VSYNC on but I was getting like 10FPS anyway hehe). I also tried the training level and it was fine until you walk on the peir (where the explosive barrel is) at which point the peir textures disappear and it's like a generic blue colour instead).

Despite all this, I tried playing Farcry a bit normally (not for long though) and it seemed fine (EDIT: Scratch that, the River level spazzes out, see below) . I also played a bit of BF2 last night and that was fine as well.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for the help

Simon

snowwraith
12-01-05, 04:24 PM
Hi Simon,

Sounds like you and me are in the same boat. I bought a new system with an MSI 7800 GTX and have had similar probs.

I first found there was a problem because having gotten my nice shiney new card (upgraded from Radeon 9800 pro) I thought I'd DL the Luna and Mad Mod Mike demos from the nVidia site to see what this baby could do. So when Luna didn't run at all and crashed to desktop and MMM just showed the graphics overlay but no 3D rendering, just black screen, I started looking. Since my system is AMD64 X2 4400 and there's also issues with dual cores I started running tests. I tried excluding the dual core by using ROPE and even manually changing affinity. Then I tried using earlier drivers since there's issues with the current version 80 drivers. Unfortunately none of these tweaks made these demos run. I figure that either my MSI GTX is bust or there's something somewhere else wrong. Unfortunately noone seems to have had probs running those 2 demos that I'd found.

Since you said disabling the HDR made some difference that might be the poblem with the MSI and perhaps it's that model that's glitched and needs a bios update?

I'll keep plugging away trying new variants (different nForce drivers, etc.) and I'll post if I find a solution :(

Simonk83
12-01-05, 04:31 PM
Ok, thanks :) I haven't tried the nvidia demos but I will tonight when I get home and let you know how I go (about 9 hours from now hehe) :)

3DMark05 passes fine on stock, Battlefield 2 seems OK, but Farcry isn't happy at all. I might try reinstalling it. Also, how do you enable HDR in Farcry? I can't see an option for it in the options screen? I can enable it using the HardOCP benchmark, but then I just get a black screen :D

OWA
12-01-05, 04:33 PM
Don't enable any of the AA options if you're using HDR. That might include the gamma AA and TAA. Having AA enabled while trying to use HDR will cause weird colors and other glitches. Also, what version of Far Cry are you running and what version of the drivers?

Simonk83
12-02-05, 12:04 AM
Don't enable any of the AA options if you're using HDR. That might include the gamma AA and TAA. Having AA enabled while trying to use HDR will cause weird colors and other glitches. Also, what version of Far Cry are you running and what version of the drivers?

Hi :) I'm running 1.33 of Farcry and the 81.95 Forcewares. After reading up a bit it seems you have to type a command in the console to enable HDR in Farcry? Well I haven't done that so I guess it's not enabled yet. I'm going to give Lost Coast a go tonight and see how that handles HDR.

Simonk83
12-02-05, 05:43 AM
Ok, update time :)

I tried Lost Coast and it runs great with HDR no probs. Tried the new CS update that enables HDR on a new map and that runs fine as well. I tried enabling HDR on Farcry using the console command, and again just a black screen (I can see only the crosshair and the HUD, no other graphics). So I'm assuming my Farcry install is stuffed. A mate has the discs at the moment so when I get them back next week I'll do a fresh install and see how I go :)