PDA

View Full Version : VF700cu and 512MB GTX finally meet...

Roliath
11-30-05, 06:32 PM
Well today I recieved my VF700cu, and I replaced the stock 512MB heatsink with it.

Well I have good news and bad news.
Before anything keep in mind our heater was on in the house since its pretty cold out today.

Good, my idle temps dropped by about 5c. With the stock heatsink I usually got about 49c~50c. Now with the VF700cu I get about 44c~45c.

Bad, load temps didn't change much. With the VF700cu I get about 79c~80c and it is the same with the stock heatsink.

I acheived these temps while playing F.E.A.R., as in my earlier testing (before my hard drive failed, about two weeks ago) F.E.A.R. would give the highest temps compared to any other game/benchmark I have.

So there you have it, and I'm going to keep the Zalman on and NO my stock heatsink is not for sale.

(xmassign)

Riptide
11-30-05, 06:38 PM
Thanks for doing this so I don't have to waste my time now. I'm a little disapointed that it didn't drop load temps by at least 5c but hey looks like the stock cooler really is the beast it appears to be. :)

toxikneedle
11-30-05, 06:43 PM
What about noise, any improvement?

Roliath
11-30-05, 06:46 PM
Well, I have a P180 and my case is VERY quiet.
I never heard the stock GFX fan, and I don't hear the Zalman either.
All I really hear is a slight hum, and a loud ass chipset fan.

radekhulan
11-30-05, 06:48 PM
I am using Artic Cooling NV5 Rev. 3 on my two 7800GTX-256, and I think they should fit 7800GTX-512 as well. Definitely an improvement over stock cooler, with two cards, I am getting 67C/62C load temps (first/second card), with cards overclocked at 520/1400 (from stock 430/1200).

Artic Cooling NV5 Rev. 3 is also very quiet and blows the air outside, while Zalman VF700-Cu would keep it in the case, not helping that much..

Riptide
11-30-05, 06:48 PM
IMO this can still come in handy for those that want cooling as good or slightly better than the stock 512 cooler but want to save some space between the cards for better airflow. The VF700 should allow for a looser fit between the cards in some of the systems that are extremely cramped with two 512's in there.

Roliath
11-30-05, 07:01 PM
I'm going to fry's tomorrow and going to pick up some thermal pads and lap the stock cooler and try it out again.

OWA
11-30-05, 07:58 PM
I acheived these temps while playing F.E.A.R., as in my earlier testing (before my hard drive failed, about two weeks ago) F.E.A.R. would give the highest temps compared to any other game/benchmark I have.

No kidding, it does the same to my whole system. My temps skyrocket, the GTXs ramp up a lot, etc. It's what I'm now using to test my system overclocks. I thought I was able to go higher with my overclock with a new motherboard bios but I left FEAR running for little while and the system rebooted. I had already gone through a bunch of other tests and thought it was stable.

Blacklash
11-30-05, 11:22 PM
GTX 512s are already insanely strong. I might put a VF700 on to create more airflow as RIP suggested and I wouldn't expect it to out do the stock HSF too much. These cards are already approaching max when you get them, not to mention the stock solution isn't too shabby.

Some people have had luck with DD Maze4 waterblocks and DD NV-78 waterblocks. They have SLi versions.

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/home.php?cat=67

I'd probably try the DD Maze4s and put the copper OCZ ram sinks they come with on both sides of my ram. On some Mobos you may run into clearance issues. I don't think there is any way in hell you could use the DD NV-78 with copper sinks on the back of the ram in SLi on the second card. If someone knows of a Mobo with that kind of spacing sound off. I'd like to locate one.

PSYCHODAD
12-01-05, 01:28 AM
Im fairly satisfied with the stock HSF. Idle temps in the low to mid 40s and load around mid to upper 60s. When I add another card for SLI those temps may go up though.

MikeMK
12-01-05, 04:57 AM
Some people have had luck with DD Maze4 waterblocks and DD NV-78 waterblocks. They have SLi versions.

My GTX 512's are both on Maze 4 LP blocks with OCZ Memsinks. Temps are about 35 degrees idle, 42 load, which is fantastic. When my Room gets a bit warm they hit 45 degrees on occasion, but certainly no more than that.

They definately run cooler than my 2 6800ULtras ever did!

No issues with the mem either. These cards are good for 600/1800 so far (on air) but i havnt had chance to push them since gettingthem on water - moving house atm! I'll let u know when i get chance.

Blacklash
12-01-05, 07:25 AM
My GTX 512's are both on Maze 4 LP blocks with OCZ Memsinks. Temps are about 35 degrees idle, 42 load, which is fantastic. When my Room gets a bit warm they hit 45 degrees on occasion, but certainly no more than that.

They definately run cooler than my 2 6800ULtras ever did!

No issues with the mem either. These cards are good for 600/1800 so far (on air) but i havnt had chance to push them since gettingthem on water - moving house atm! I'll let u know when i get chance.

Thanks for that MikeMK,

I might just duplicate your cooling on these GTs in the future to squeeze more out of them.

Fathertime36
12-01-05, 07:31 AM
You should wait awhile, give the thermal compound a chance to cure, that takes awhile you know.....about twenty to 30 hours you should see a 3-5 degree load decrease, maybe you forgot to take this into consideration.(xmasmile)

Riptide
12-01-05, 08:25 AM
I hear that all the time but I've never seen more than a 2c drop after application.

MikeMK
12-01-05, 09:00 AM
Yeah, i know about the compound curing. We'll see in a few days. When i get chance to do some overclocking now their on water I'll post back with results, but with moving it'll prob be another weekish before i get the time.

Roliath
12-01-05, 12:13 PM
Well after much thought, I decided to go back to the stock cooler.
It didn't really help ALL that much, so I said fug it and put the stock heatsink back on.

And to solve my chipset temps I bought a vantec copper chipset cooler, and it reduced my chipset temps by 9c!!

It also came with two flat copper heatsinks, so I put one on my audigy.
Looks pretty "snazzy" haha. Who knows if it'll even help but it looks cool.

Now I need to get some updated pics of my rig..

So my final answer to those thinking about installing the VF700cu on their 512MB GTX, is don't do it. The stock heatsink if good enough, if not better thatn the VF700cu. On the 256MB GTX it's a different story (smaller stock heatsink)...

EDIT: About waiting for the AS5 to cure, I've installed tons of aftermarket heatsinks on my cards and others. I've NEVER seen more than a 2c drop in temps after "curing".