PDA

View Full Version : 7800GTX 512 SLI or LCD TV ??

SH64
12-01-05, 05:48 AM
Ok i'm planning for major upgrade .. the 2 options to choose between are 2 512GTXers or a 24" LCDTV. what do you think ? which one do you recommend & notice that :

1) Price is not an issue
2) The LCD cost alot more than 2x512GTX's
3) No other options available
4) The LCDTV is here NOW , while the 512GTX cards might arrive in 2-3 weeks.
5) Getting either means i will be waiting for long to get the other item.
6) Current specs are in sig (1337 PC)
7) Both are for PC gaming & gaming only.
8) Current monitor is 19" Flat CRT (Samsung Syncmaster 957DF)

& Just FYI the LCDTV is Samsung Syncmaster 242MP 24".

Fathertime36
12-01-05, 07:38 AM
Quick question.....what are you using right now for your monitor? If it is a good crt then go for the cards. imo

SH64
12-01-05, 03:29 PM
Quick question.....what are you using right now for your monitor? If it is a good crt then go for the cards. imo

Yeah its a good one .. 19" CRT. a friend is just telling me that a LCD monitor would be a waste esp for a gamer like me. he said it will die faster than a CRT if i play at high res most of the time which i really do & intend to do.

jAkUp
12-01-05, 03:30 PM
It shouldn't die faster, and I certainly don't understand how resolution will make it die even faster... but if you have a good monitor already, I would go for the cards.

OWA
12-01-05, 03:50 PM
Hmm, I don't know. On one hand, I love widescreen gaming and wish I would have jumped on that bandwagon earlier. On the other, the 512s are really nice and help with a few of the more taxing games like FEAR, COD2, etc. But, the LCD is available now and I'm very impatient so waiting for the 512s to arrive would be difficult for me. I really can't decide since I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation but I think I'll echo the others and say, if you're happy with your current monitor then go for the cards. I'm not going to vote on it though b/c I might change my mind 5 minutes later.

SH64
12-01-05, 03:51 PM
Hmm i'm starting to lean more toward the cards ...

CaptNKILL
12-01-05, 04:27 PM
To be honest, I dont think id really go for either, but im not rich enough to buy things like that anyway :p

If I was though, the cards seem like they would be better. A bigger monitor would make you want more graphics power most likely. But with the cards you can crank up the res plenty high enough on your current screen, as well as turn up the AA.

Dont forget, you can sell your current cards and make back a good portion of what youd spend on the 2 new ones.... with monitors Im not so sure you can do that as easily.

jAkUp
12-01-05, 05:07 PM
Yea good point... if you were to sell your monitor now, you wouldn't get much for it.