PDA

View Full Version : First Bootup serious issue?

bwood15
12-01-05, 09:43 PM
I just built a new pc and on first bootup (immediately) it's beeping like mad telling me to check my CPU clock and voltage settings. I'm terrified now to turn it back on without damaging the CPU.

How serious is this and what to do?

thanks!

Abit IS7 MB, P4 prescott 3.2, 2 gigs OCZ ram dual channel, cooler master 450 w power...using original heatsink and fan with Artic silver compound.

ViN86
12-01-05, 10:41 PM
you could try clearing the CMOS. there should be a jumper, or you could just remove the battery for a while.

also, i wouldnt worry about booting it up. if its giving you warnings, its probably because it cant post. therefore, your cpu isnt even really running.

you can hit DEL to go into your BIOS. then just load the defaults. if that doesnt work, you made need to update your BIOS. also, id re-seat the CPU and make sure it and the heatsink/fan is installed correctly.

jAkUp
12-02-05, 01:55 AM
Also, if you still get that message, go into your BIOS... check the FSB and multiplier settings, then save and exit.

Should be 200MHz FSB and a multiplier of 16x, you also may need a BIOS update to support Prescott.

madmartyau
12-02-05, 06:58 AM
Also, if you still get that message, go into your BIOS... check the FSB and multiplier settings, then save and exit.

Should be 200MHz FSB and a multiplier of 16x, you also may need a BIOS update to support Prescott.

Yep that's what you need to do. I went through the same dramas when I put a prescott in my IS7-E. You need to update the bios and you will also want to disable the thermal alarm as well, as it doesn't detect the temperature properly and it will be beep at you all the time.