PDA

View Full Version : SLI not working?

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
12-01-05, 10:23 PM
ok i just got my second BFG 7800GT, enabled SLI, but i don't see any difference.

i enabled load balancing to see if SLI i working, and its only seems to be working in few games: Quake4, Doom3, Pirates!.
quake and doom show a green vertical bar, and pirates show a green horizontal line.

Following games show nothing:
FEAR, Riddick, UT04, Vampire bloodlines, NFS Most Wanted. Battlefield2, act of war, there is about 10 more not gonna list all of them

so what could be the problem? why is it working for some games, and not others?

system specs
AMD x2 4400+
Asus A8N SLI Premium 1009 bios
2gb Geil DDR500
600W Seasonic PSU
Audigy2ZS
2x BFG 7800GT (81.95)

dante
12-02-05, 08:10 AM
No difference in fps?

|JuiceZ|
12-02-05, 08:29 AM
Have you tried switching between a single card & SLi and running through some benchmarks while logging the results? From what I've read, you should definitely see a performance boosts in some of those games you mentioned.

nekrosoft13
12-02-05, 11:52 AM
2 hours after i made this post, i installed nHancer, messed around with some profiles.

had to unlock the overwrite for SLI, and now SLI seems to work for more games. still need to mess around little more

black and white2, hl2, fear, most wanted don't work

i got battlefield 2, ut04 working now

once i get home i will try to get more to work

btw when show load balance is enabled, when i see vertical bar thats AFR? and when i see horizontal line tahts SFR? and when there is nothing means SLI is not working.

black and white 2 profile seems fine, but there is no bar or line, and FPS is the same as before

OWA
12-02-05, 12:03 PM
Games that don't have a built-in profile you'll probably need to add profiles for or either try to force the SLI mode in the global setting. The load balancer should show up but if vsync is enabled, it might not.

Edit: And yeah, horizontal is SFR, vertical is AFR.

nekrosoft13
12-02-05, 01:39 PM
but thats just it

black and white2, hl2 have build in profiles, and still don't work.

fear not sure, and most wanted has no profile

MrSavoy
12-02-05, 02:52 PM
I just installed my second 7800gtx today in SLI. Since Im new to it I have a question. Since I usually use global settings for most games and just adjust AA/Aiso etc maunally,, to get the most out of SLI should I be using the profiles? Or will I get the same performance benefit using global settings? I have sli enabeled and it seems to be working. I ran 3dm05 and saw the correct boost in performance and in my score as compared to just a single card:). So I knwo its working and the coupel of games I've tested it out in so far seems all good.

zoomy942
12-02-05, 03:10 PM
i just use the global profile settings. everything is app controled, and i use the ingame AA or AF.

OWA
12-02-05, 03:14 PM
I don't use global settings at all. I use the game specific profiles for all my games and if a game doesn't have one, I create one and use that. I think most probably use the global settings though.

nekrosoft13
12-02-05, 08:41 PM
well i figured out my issue

AFR and Vsync don't match, a bit disapointed

OWA
12-02-05, 08:47 PM
In what games? As far as I can tell, AFR and vsync work for me although the load balancer sometimes shows up, sometimes it doesn't, when vsync is enabled. Not sure why that is.

nekrosoft13
12-02-05, 08:51 PM
hmm,

in fable doesn't

with vsync off i get fps in upper 150, with vsync on it dips into 40-50, 30 sometimes, and thats when i enable vsync in game, with AFR.

OWA
12-02-05, 09:39 PM
Just to be sure, you do realize that when using vsync your framerate is capped at the refresh rate of your monitor, right? So, if you're using a LCD, the max framerate will be 60. Continuing with that example, if the framerate should drop below 60, it gets cut in half and should be around 30fps. That's just the nature of vsync unless the game supports triple buffering to help offset that (or you can use a tweaker like dxtweaker to force triple buffering -- btw, the triple buffering option in the nv control panel is for opengl only).

I tried to check if vsync and AFR were working at the very beginning of the game but it was kind of hard to tell. I'm running at 1920x1200 and have a LCD so my refresh rate is 60. With SLI/AFR and vsync off I got 93fps. With SLI/AFR and vsync on I got 59fps. With a single card and vsync off I got 65fps. With a single card and vsync on, I got 60fps.

Edit: What I don't understand is, with vsync on and using SLI, instead of dropping to 30 when the framerate drops below 60, it seems to drop to 40 most of the time.

Edit 2: BTW, do you use Gamma AA and TAA: Super Sampling with it? I've been using those settings (or so I thought) but I had to turn them off. I was getting a lot of flickering or a super-bright picture (washed out look) with them on.

nekrosoft13
12-03-05, 01:06 AM
i know how vsync works

try to explain this one
i got NFS most wanted working in SLI, used the NFS UG2 profile, with vsync off and AFR i get 90fps in the menu

i turn vsync on, everything else stayed the same, and FPS drop to 30

there is no reason for that drop. it just seems that SLI is not working

zoomy942
12-03-05, 09:12 AM
i am sure you click the check box to enable sli, but did you choose multi gpu rendering in this spot? it is defaulted on single gpu rendering

nekrosoft13
12-03-05, 04:49 PM
yes i do have multi-GPU enabled

and it seems like this is a major issue
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=39

AFR mode in directx doesn't not work with vsync on

AFR and vsync works perefectly in opengl

i'm so ****ing pissed off now

explain this

fable
AFR, vsync off, SLI, and game runs between 100-150, stutters like hell
AFR, vsync on, SLI, and game drops between 30-40

NFS most wanted
AFR, vsync off, SLI 90FPS in the menu
AFR, vsyng on, SLI, and it drops to 30FPS in menu

only setting i changed is vsync

FD76
12-04-05, 11:19 AM
so is this the case? SLI with vsync in D3D is broke? Or is it that you just need to force Tripple Buffering?

nekrosoft13
12-05-05, 07:21 AM
vsync under directx only works with SFR.

it doesn't not work with AFR.

anyone else with two 7800GT, can confirm?

try running games in AFR, with vsync on, put AA, AF to high levels.

Guz
12-05-05, 03:14 PM

anyone else with two 7800GT, can confirm?

try running games in AFR, with vsync on, put AA, AF to high levels.

Yeah i can almost confirm it does not work. I tried to test with FEAR using AFR and TB, but it is impossible, cause vsync keeps turning off.

OWA
12-05-05, 03:29 PM
yes i do have multi-GPU enabled

and it seems like this is a major issue
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=39

AFR mode in directx doesn't not work with vsync on

AFR and vsync works perefectly in opengl

i'm so ****ing pissed off now

explain this

fable
AFR, vsync off, SLI, and game runs between 100-150, stutters like hell
AFR, vsync on, SLI, and game drops between 30-40

NFS most wanted
AFR, vsync off, SLI 90FPS in the menu
AFR, vsyng on, SLI, and it drops to 30FPS in menu

only setting i changed is vsync
What is your refresh rate set to?

Yeah i can almost confirm it does not work.
Vsync/AFR/FEAR seeems to work for me. I haven't tried forcing triple buffering with dxtweaker but without that, it seems to work. Maybe I should state it this way, with SLI/vsync on I get a higher framerate than I do when using single-gpu/vsync on and I don't get tearing in either case.

rewt
12-05-05, 03:52 PM

Try using AFR2 with NFS:MW. Works great for me. I use Vsync, Triple Buffer, and refresh rate overrides.

nekrosoft13
12-05-05, 08:07 PM
SLI is complete bull****

even triple buffer doesn't help

BF2
AFR, SLI Vsync off, 90FPS in the weapon select menu before the game

AFR, SLI, Vsync on, TB, and i get 45fps in the same spot

WTF, SLI simply won't ****ing work when vsync is anabled

if my system can hangle the game the game at 90fps with vsync off, there so reason for it to drop to 45fps when i turn on the vsync

i'm gonna ****ing loose it, if this continues

OWA
12-05-05, 10:15 PM
What's your refresh rate?

Edit: Also, I had issues with the Need For Speed Underground profile messing up my Need For Speed Most Wanted profile since they both use speed.exe. I think I ended up just deleting the NFSU profile since I don't currently have the first one installed.

Vsync off...................vsync on
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7344/speedvsyncoff0vw.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=speedvsyncoff0vw.jpg) http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8618/speedvsyncon6ug.th.jpg (http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=speedvsyncon6ug.jpg)

As you can see, it seems to be working correctly for me.

nekrosoft13
12-06-05, 12:00 AM
well, when i turn on vsync it drops down to 40 in menu.

i would suspect that yours drop down to 60, because you have two 7800GTX and 4800+, meaning your system can probably run it just fine on one card.

can you confirm that actually two GPUs are working?

btw i have 2x7800GT and 4400+, running on max in game settings and 4xaa, 16xaf

Guz
12-06-05, 03:51 PM
What is your refresh rate set to?

Vsync/AFR/FEAR seeems to work for me. I haven't tried forcing triple buffering with dxtweaker but without that, it seems to work. Maybe I should state it this way, with SLI/vsync on I get a higher framerate than I do when using single-gpu/vsync on and I don't get tearing in either case.

But how can you tell framerate is higher if it is either 60 or 30fps without triple buffering? TB would definetly let you know if SLI is working or not.