PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I wish I had a Dell.

Pages : [1] 2

marqmajere
12-02-05, 01:16 AM
After having both my comp crap out on me in one week, I ordered some new parts. Asus A8N-SLI, a nice new Lian-Li case, and an EVGA 7800GT. After some trouble with UPS, I finally got my merchandice. Spending about an hour and a half seting everything up, I hit the power button. To my dismay, the system powered up, but didn't post or make any beeping sounds. All the fans started up and the 7800GT fan was running at full bore, yet no screen. I quickly shut it off and began flipping though the pages of the mobo instruction manual for some insight to my problem. I then went to the ASUS website and followed all of thier troubleshooting advice. Still nothing. Now I'm a bit upset. Just minutes ago, I ordered up a new power supply and a new 3700+ for my new paperweight rig. I hope beyond all hope that this will fix the problem. Almost a week and a half and close to $600 for this? Sometimes I wish I had a Dell. :(

Q
12-02-05, 01:29 AM
Noooo you don't! :D

Remember, a lot of Dell's have that issue where the capacitors start to bow and leak. Then you get random reboots over and over and over. And Dell is being a stubborn ass about this issue (which is effecting every computer lab on my campus) even though they fully admit it is their fault.

Do this:
Take out everything minus the processor, a single memory stick, and your video device. Try booting. If this doesn't work try another memory stick even if you have to snatch one from a neighbor. If this doesn't work, follow the instructions for clearing the CMOS. Take the battery out of the computer and let it set with no power connected for a while....

To me, it sounds like the typical ASUS (and others brands...) cold boot issue on first start. More likely than not, its trying to run your memory tighter than the motherboard or memory can handle. Hopefully, if you keep trying to boot, you'll succeed once and be able to adjust the memory timings. I've had this happen to me on my newest Asrock build as well as a few others.

Good luck and let us know how this is going for you.

Smokey
12-02-05, 01:30 AM
I had the sme problem when I upgraded my rig, which was fixed by plugging the 4 pin 12v connector into the motherboard. I had always only ever used the 20 pin connecter, but after trouble shooting, this is what the problem was, give that a try if you havent already (xmassign)

marqmajere
12-02-05, 01:43 AM
I tried all of your suggestions, but nothing works. If not a Dell, then maybe a Gateway or something where you don't have to mess with it to get it to work...

jAkUp
12-02-05, 03:10 AM
Unplug the PC. pull the CMOS battery out for a few minutes, then pop it back in and try it again.

Also, is anything grounded? Is the mobo in the case?

Sazar
12-02-05, 03:10 AM

Remember, a lot of Dell's have that issue where the capacitors start to bow and leak. Then you get random reboots over and over and over. And Dell is being a stubborn ass about this issue (which is effecting every computer lab on my campus) even though they fully admit it is their fault.

Do this:
Take out everything minus the processor, a single memory stick, and your video device. Try booting. If this doesn't work try another memory stick even if you have to snatch one from a neighbor. If this doesn't work, follow the instructions for clearing the CMOS. Take the battery out of the computer and let it set with no power connected for a while....

To me, it sounds like the typical ASUS (and others brands...) cold boot issue on first start. More likely than not, its trying to run your memory tighter than the motherboard or memory can handle. Hopefully, if you keep trying to boot, you'll succeed once and be able to adjust the memory timings. I've had this happen to me on my newest Asrock build as well as a few others.

Good luck and let us know how this is going for you.

The issue is with some optiplexes and Dell is replacing the sytems that are affected. It is not a Dell issue, rather a component issue from one of the manufacturers a la the Asus issue not too long ago.

jAkUp
12-02-05, 03:11 AM
Those damn Foxconn boards with their failing caps ;)

j0j081
12-02-05, 07:32 AM
paperweight rig
(cheers)

|JuiceZ|
12-02-05, 09:40 AM
hrm...stills sounds like a power issue to me. Let us know once you get the new psu installed.

Riptide
12-02-05, 10:09 AM
I know where he's coming from. How many times have I bought something only to have problems with it? Perhaps you have good luck Qlitch but not everyone does. I'd say fully 75% of the time when I upgrade a component I end up smashing my head against a wall because it's either broken when it gets here or has some stupid problem that requires massive troubleshooting to figure out. It almost NEVER "just works".
Remember, a lot of Dell's have that issue where the capacitors start to bow and leak. Then you get random reboots over and over and over. And Dell is being a stubborn ass about this issue (which is effecting every computer lab on my campus) even though they fully admit it is their fault.Only the GX270 Optiplex has that problem AFAIK. And if you have gold service and support, which we do at work, they take care of it with almost no questions asked. I have never had any issues getting them to replace the motherboards with swollen capacitors.
To me, it sounds like the typical ASUS (and others brands...) cold boot issue on first start.
A problem you don't see with Dell workstations.

mx125race
12-02-05, 10:17 AM
My Dell was way overpriced when i bought it and has terrible fans and a horrifying case. The whole thing is just plain loud and overpriced. Recently ordered one for the office, eh that thing gets hot after playing a simple 2D game on the internet. Slow too, even though its only got 256mb of RAM, ill probably throw another 256 in there. I only like Dell laptops, thats it. Dell makes everything a certain way and builds it all customized so you have to spend that extra $100 to get Dell-only parts, or compatible ones off their gay website.

Riptide
12-02-05, 10:19 AM
My wife's Dimension was a great deal. Quiet, reliable, I never had any problems with it at all. We even upgraded the RAM with some Corsair PC2700 and put in a 9600XT 128MB card. I ran folding@home on it 24/7 for over a year and it never had a single problem. Even went down hard a few times due to power outages and it kept right on working fine.

mx125race
12-02-05, 10:22 AM
I suppose I could throw a gig of my old pc2700 micron tech. RAM and my old 5200FX, maybe that would make me a littler happier. I would love installing another fan, but noooo, i can't, because with gay Dells you gotta buy gay Dell fans from Dell that suck and have them in your case or else you get an annoying startup error everytime you press the power button. Possibly not if I use one of the PSU connectors. Whatever, in general, i hate hteir desktops, and i love their laptops. the laptops are built nice, and seem faster than they should be and are stable.

Riptide
12-02-05, 10:27 AM
Dells are made to "just work". If you want to modify and customize then it isn't the computer for you. But if you buy aftermarket be prepared to deal with the headaches that come with it.

mx125race
12-02-05, 10:30 AM
Dells are made to "just work". If you want to modify and customize then it isn't the computer for you. But if you buy aftermarket be prepared to deal with the headaches that come with it.

yeah i know, but i dislike how they ''just work'' because most of them don't ''just work'' for me. But, I'd still recommend them because I have to admit they are pretty good compared to the other computer manufacturers out there.

Riptide
12-02-05, 10:37 AM
We've deployed hundreds of them here at work. Optiplex GX240,260,270, and 280. Almost all of them work fine right out of the box. There have been some exceptions but I'd say it's easily 98% success rate.

Daydre@m
12-02-05, 10:59 AM
Well I had the same problem with my Asus A8N SLI Deluxe . It didnt give any beep and didnt give any display on my 6800GT OC which worked fine just an hour before this started happening . I was very confused I tried doing everything like clearing CMOS and all but nothing happened after 5 or 6 hours I tried to neutrilize its static charge ( if it had ) and thank God it made those rapid beeps , meaning there was some problem with memory , after sometime working with memory it finally gave display . I was very happy but to my utter astonishment the next day same thing happened , this made me very mad , I cleaned the motherboard again and the memory dims , inserted them again but no display and beep . I thought the board was dead but after 2 weeks I thought of checking my VGA , and since none of my friends owned a PCI E system at that time , I went to an old hardware shop and got myself that 16MB Riva TNT 2 PCI which amazingly worked and everything was fine . It worked for somedays and again I got that problem , the board was actually not accepting the hardware which I used on it for sometimes ( very strange ) . So I went to that shop again and got another 2MB old S3 PCI VGA . I replaced the 16MB riva tnt but lol it didnt work , I tried it on a different PCI slot and it started working , but that time I quickly booted my system and went to Asus website , got the latest BIOS 1001 ( Dual core supported ) flashed it and everything started working , thank God that even my 6800GT OC started working again . After that I sold the board and learened a useful lesson that I will never buy Asus board again .

Riptide
12-02-05, 11:07 AM
After that I sold the board and learened a useful lesson that I will never buy Asus board again .
Funny... That's exactly the way I feel about Abit. lol

schuey74
12-02-05, 11:30 AM
Funny... That's exactly the way I feel about Abit. lol
Ditto on that. The two Abit boards I've had were never 100% stable and absolutely all my Asus boards have worked perfectly and their always OCed. I guess sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

marqmajere
12-02-05, 12:17 PM
I had both the cpu and the psu overnighted Fed-ex. Problem is, it's on the weekend so I won't get any of it till Monday, most likely. :(

It seems that the newer tech becomes, the pickier it gets. I remember even a few years ago, being able to slap a system together like nothing and have it work. Heck, I didn't even change drivers when putting in a new mobo. It just magically worked. Now, you have about 500 things to consider. Will my ram work with the mobo? Does my mobo support duel core? Is my power supply comptable? Next time around, I may just order a complete system from some company and be done with it.

zoomy942
12-02-05, 12:23 PM
dont cross over the the prebuilt darkside:)

Riptide
12-02-05, 12:39 PM
Motherboards being picky about RAM is also one of my little pet peeves when it comes to setting up new hardware. It shouldn't be so damn fussy.

chowells
12-02-05, 01:08 PM
Sometimes I wish I had a Dell. :(

I take it you've never had the misfortune of encountering their Indian support outfit in Bangalore.

Riptide
12-02-05, 01:41 PM
Yeah that can be bad. The one time I got Indian support it worked out OK and I got what I wanted (monitor swapped out) but it did take over an hour to do it.

If you do go with a Dell I would pay the extra for the gold service/support and at least a 2 year warranty. It'll cost an extra $100-150 or so but it's worth it.

marqmajere
12-03-05, 01:15 AM
I take it you've never had the misfortune of encountering their Indian support outfit in Bangalore.

That sounds about as bad as the microsoft reg key guy. (xmasgrin)