PDA

View Full Version : Can 7800 run on Windows 98?

KAN
12-02-05, 03:36 AM
Well, I just read this thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=626783). Interesting, actually. So 6200, which doesn't officially support Windows 98, can actually run on it by editing certain driver files.

Makes me wonder though; can it be done on 7800 as well? Has anyone tried such thing to make 7800 run on Windows 98?

Today I downloaded the newest drivers version 77.72, but sad, sad
even these new ones still do not work with 6200-agp and win9x,
out of the box !!!
Damn nVidia !

And NO, I will not BUY Windows XP just as I told before, there are
dozens of reasons not to spend money and time only because a new vga
card isn't supported by a still commonly used o.s.

What did I do, and it works believe me:

Download 77.72 and run it. It will tell you that no suitable pci-id in the .inf
is found, and it stops.
Go to the directory where the 77.72 files are unpacked and open
nvagp.inf in notepad.
Search in the file for ' 00f3 ' and replace all those 00f3's with 0221.
It should be only 3 entries.
Done!
In the directory of the unpacked files there a setup.exe. Run it and
it will find your chip. It installs the driver files and others and asks to
reboot. Do so.
Now Win98se (that's what I use) will detect new vga hardware, discovers
that it actually has a driver and enables it.
Now it works. 2d, 3d, directx9, OpenGL everything.
I only had problems with textures in AvP2, but that's because of the
outdated lithtech engine (d3d.ren render) (If someone knows an update
which works with modern hardware and Directx9 I love to know).
Tested: UT2004, Serious Sam TSE, Counter Strike, Star Wars Pod Racer.
All worked great

So what did I do?
In Linux I did a vendor-ID lookup with lspci. Found that 6200-agp has
The driver setup depends on the nvagp.inf contents to see what vga
hardware you have, and which files to install and (how) to register.
As I allready knew, the 6200pci-x was supported, and I hoped that
the core-operations of this driver could handle the AGP version of
this chip. The way to find that out, is to fake the setup and replace
the 00f3 vendor id's (which is a 6200pci-x) with 0221.
Detection during setup en installing files and registering will work now,
but does it actually work?
Yes it did.
So I don't understand why nVidia still didn't expand the nvagp.inf with an
0221 entry.
Whatever, it works for me now and for now I'm happy again, but not
because of nVidia.

With kind regards.

chowells
12-02-05, 09:04 AM
TBH I'm quite surprised that any games you'd want to use a 7800 for would actually support Windows 98.

So I don't understand why nVidia still didn't expand the nvagp.inf with an
0221 entry.

Because they don't want to waste time and money supporting a crippled dead operating system.

Gorion
12-02-05, 09:54 AM
Because they don't want to waste time and money supporting a crippled dead operating system.

QFT

jAkUp
12-02-05, 11:31 AM
Yea, Win98 was/is a terrible O.S. compared to the NTFS releases.

I mean what, its like almost 11 years old! I don't understand why people don't just bite the bullet, you can't expect legacy O.S's to be supported forever. I would prefer if nV would invest their energy into W2k and XP releases.

a12ctic
12-02-05, 03:05 PM
i personaly think that windows 98se was the best windows os that ive ever used, the average user could acualy keep it running fast and it wasnt as cluttered and full of bull**** like the newer versions of windows.

rohit
12-02-05, 03:59 PM
i personaly think that windows 98se was the best windows os that ive ever used, the average user could acualy keep it running fast and it wasnt as cluttered and full of bull**** like the newer versions of windows.
True.
Sad i cant use it anymore. NTFS pain in the @$$ !!!

Gorion
12-02-05, 04:29 PM
I used to prefer DOS. 95 was out over a year before I would even touch windows. XP is without a doubt the best MS OS I've ever used. I have had far fewer problems with XP than all the previous releases (3.1,95,98,me etc.)

rohit
12-02-05, 05:05 PM
No Doubt XP is the best MS OS ever (it has to be since it came much later wen things got mature).
But that doesnt deny the fact for people like us who got win98se. Xp is much better when it comes to gaming, coz the resources are well used/smartly used.

But when it comes to Be Quick feel, Simple and straight forward feel.. win98se has the edge. Its just rite when you got to deal with many docs and stuff. Its quick.. Other than gaming or internet, i still prefer win98se.

a12ctic
12-02-05, 06:23 PM
i use linux 24/7 now, i even have my family members using SuSE i live in a house with 7 computers, not one with a windows partion

Q
12-02-05, 06:50 PM
i use linux 24/7 now, i even have my family members using SuSE i live in a house with 7 computers, not one with a windows partion

So what are you doing at a video card (gaming) forum? (xmasgrin)

Gorion
12-02-05, 08:01 PM

being l337

(xmastong)

a12ctic
12-02-05, 10:04 PM

i do my share of gaming on linux my freind

Games emulated:
War3
WoW
FEAR
CS 1.6/CS:S
HL 1/2
BF1942

Games Native:
Quake 4
Nexiuz

and as Gorion said just being 1337 (xmasmile)

saturnotaku
12-02-05, 11:23 PM

Just don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. :rolleyes:

a12ctic
12-02-05, 11:30 PM

hahahaha im a linux fanboy (xmasgrin)

$n][pErMan
12-03-05, 01:06 AM
Linux rocks.... so does windows. Depends what you want to do ;) I use both and like both.

Gorion
12-03-05, 07:58 AM
I own 5 comps and not one of them with a Linux partition. My gaming comp I recently changed the MB CPU and vid card and am still on the original XP install. I'm not sure what all the whining about what a piece of crap xp is. I have had almost zero issues with it.

(xmassign)

a12ctic
12-03-05, 10:36 AM
ahh the first gaming forum that im not constantly critizized for being a linux user <3

saturnotaku
12-03-05, 11:10 AM
ahh the first gaming forum that im not constantly critizized for being a linux user <3

You'd be even less so if you didn't come on here and sound like a pompous windbag like so many others of your ilk.

I feel the same way about Linux that a lot of people feel about God, organized religion and Tool. I like Linux (God, organized religion, Tool)...it's the fan club that I can't stand.

chowells
12-03-05, 12:08 PM
What fan club?

Talking about making sweeping generalisations.... it's no different to the handful of people who are complete NVidia or ATI or AMD or Intel zealots.

Mr_LoL
12-03-05, 12:47 PM
:D so true I mean not running windows is seen as cool nowadays by some people.

rohit
12-03-05, 03:13 PM
linux is/was good when i took more than 20 days just to set it up properly. (the drivers, vid reso was stuck to 800x600, setting up network etc etc.) i felt all good about it...set up 1 by 1.
but then i got fed up jus trying to make me happy.. "man yeh.. i can really use the comp without windows."
But in a week's time from that, i gave up. It was like, linux is good.. but can i spend some time on entertainment now or should i still set things up.
Dont take it in the wrong way, linux is good/great. but only if its set up properly and you can actually spend time on something else.

wnd
12-03-05, 04:08 PM
i use linux 24/7 now
So what are you doing at a video card (gaming) forum?
being l337

Does that make me l337, too? ph34r my 1337n355!

ezteban
12-03-05, 04:53 PM
So what are you doing at a video card (gaming) forum?
I think, many linuxusers are here, because there's a link to this forum, on the official nvidia linux drivers page:
Linux Discussion Forum
For an external resource on Linux topics, visit the discussion forum at nvnews.net

So, the nvidia linux forum is also the most visited section on this page.

KAN
12-04-05, 09:25 AM
Yea, Win98 was/is a terrible O.S. compared to the NTFS releases.

I mean what, its like almost 11 years old! I don't understand why people don't just bite the bullet, you can't expect legacy O.S's to be supported forever. I would prefer if nV would invest their energy into W2k and XP releases.

No Doubt XP is the best MS OS ever (it has to be since it came much later wen things got mature).
But that doesnt deny the fact for people like us who got win98se. Xp is much better when it comes to gaming, coz the resources are well used/smartly used.

Uh.... folks? I hope this thread won't evolve into yet another XP vs 98 debate (xmasgrin) . I just wonder though: is it possible, one way or another, to run GeForce 7800 on Windows 98?

See, the reason why I asked this question is because I like to experiment with old O/S and/or games running on new hardware. I just want to see how fast those old stuff run on new hardware, as far as compatibility allows.

An example is the legacy system I'm building with Epox 8KTA3 motherboard; it has ISA slot, so I can put an ISA soundcard (AWE32 or such) and try out how fast those DOS games run on Palomino 2000+ processor.

Now, back to the 7800 issue, I wonder if it is possible to run it on Windows 98. See, there's a lot of old, Direct3D games I would love to try with a 7800, like Microsoft's Hellbender (anyone remember that very first Direct3D game? Running it with a Voodoo card was quite a blast back then), Crimson Skies, or Mig Alley. Some of them has pretty good scalability.

Moreover, I want to try out how well the "out-of-the-box" features of the new cards (like FSAA) can enhance old games. Mind you, I still keep a Voodoo5 5500 to play old games with FSAA, but I wonder how "compatible" the FSAA of new cards with those oldies.

(yes, I know Crimson Skies can run on WinXP, but being a purist I am....)

Peoples-Agent
12-04-05, 09:32 AM
Not sure why people hate on XP asmuch as they do, but what I do find is that most of the Linux fanbases are simply bitter because they cannot afford newish hardware so instead say how bad an operating system is, (Being anything Microsoft) in order to satisfy their own demise. I have to say, for stability XP has been a God send in comparison to Windows 95 (BLARGH!) ....and the first releases of Win 98, and lets not forget Windows ME , omfg that was AWFUL!

They took all the good bits from Win 98 and Win 2k and made XP, which in my book is a good step.

The REAL Linux elite, are those who dual boot and also run an XP or similar setup in order to make a true comparison on issues without blind judgement.
Personally, depending on what I was using a machine for would recommend Linux for many reasons, but to most modern gamers.... it just isn't practical right now.... or yet, and for it to become that way you'd simply be attempting to port Windows anyhow.