PDA

View Full Version : help with connecting to Quake 4 servers

j0j081
12-02-05, 07:07 AM
4/5 servers I try say I am missing files required to play and the server does not support downloads. Also, 1/3 servers I try a message comes up saying they use protocol 2.65 or something. 9/10 times I am pissed. (mikec)

Burpy
12-02-05, 07:57 AM
The missing files message means the server & the client has to have the exact same files in order to connect..
Also, the Q4 auto-download is borked & will need to be fixed via patch. So, you can't do much about that.

The other error message might be that you need Q4MAX or X-Battle competition mod installed (not sure on that tho).
Make sure you have the latest patch installed, version 1.0.4.

[ Quake 4 1.0.4 (http://videogames.yahoo.com/predownload?eid=413608) ] Quake 4 Patch

[ Q4MAX (http://www.q4max.com/) ] Used mostly in the USA.
[ X-Battle (http://www.x-mod.org/index.php?action=news) ] Used mostly in Europe.

[ TMP Map Pack (http://mydeepwave.org/q4/map_tmp02.zip) ] One of the more pupular map packs that alot of servers are using. (needs to be in your baseq4 folder.)

Quake 4 Multiplayer needs a patch really bad as the current state of it is pretty bad.
Makes me wonder why Raven didnt release a Q4 multiplayer test to the public before release.

j0j081
12-02-05, 12:42 PM
yeah wtf mate. quake 4 sucks online imo. i installed that q4max thing cause it sounded cool but can't find any servers with people on that use it. maybe there will be a few tonight but i figured this game would be more popular for multi than it is. to be honest i think ut2k4 is better which is last gen tech. on my 6800gt it lags like a mofo so i have to lower the res to like 800X600 lol. single player is fine though.

ynnek
12-05-05, 11:30 AM
IMO, I think single player is fine, because its not as hectic and has no network dependancy compared to multiplayer. For me multiplayer is great, until you get more than 2 or 3 people on the screen at the same time.. which is usually the case in DM!

I hate to say this, but I gave up on Q4 online. I just checked last night, and I notice in GameSpy arcade, the # of servers listed dropped from 1900 to 900.. and sorting by # of players, its pretty sad..

I like UT2k4 better (although I stopped playing that too heh) If you go back 5 years in time, and tell me that I will like Unreal online better than Quake, I would have laughed at you..

MrSavoy
12-05-05, 12:25 PM
You know I was thinking the same thing. I fired up some Q4 for the first time in like a month this past weekend and It was sad to say the least. Does anyone play this game? I mean wtf, it makes no sense theres a ****load of servers but no players....Q3 has more or the same amount of people playing at any one given time...:(

stncttr908
12-05-05, 01:39 PM
This makes me think of Tribes. Months after Vengeance was released there were still tons more people playing Tribes 2.

j0j081
12-05-05, 04:37 PM
there are quite a few servers at night but it's nothing like cs:s or bf2 where there are almost too many good servers to chose from 24/7.

CaptNKILL
12-05-05, 05:20 PM
You know I was thinking the same thing. I fired up some Q4 for the first time in like a month this past weekend and It was sad to say the least. Does anyone play this game? I mean wtf, it makes no sense theres a ****load of servers but no players....Q3 has more or the same amount of people playing at any one given time...:(
Yeah, I guess I might as well just say it, but I wanted to test the game, so I downloaded it and played through the SP. It was good, so I bought the collectors edition so I could play online (and also because I like to put money toward games I enjoy, it makes sense...).

The first night I played MP, it was a BLAST. I tried a few times after that, and realized how terrible it is. The gameplay itself is alright, its just a combination of the server browser and the lack of players all around.

MP is almost worthless at this point. At any given time I have at the most 2 occupied servers with pings under 100, and they are usually passworded or full of god-like players that make it impossible to enjoy the game.

I think a better server browser and more players would help this game IMMENSLY, because the other problems would work themselves out.

ynnek
12-09-05, 01:03 PM
MP is almost worthless at this point. At any given time I have at the most 2 occupied servers with pings under 100, and they are usually passworded or full of god-like players that make it impossible to enjoy the game.

Thats cause the only ones that are playing it, are die hard quake fans, that should have some skills.

I know what you are talking about though.. I'm not a god-like player, but I can hold my own on avg. I've pissed off plenty of people in DM and CTF with my rails and "housekeeping" (item control).. but I've seen some players that totally blow me away.. although I attribute that to knowing the stages alot better than me.. yea.. thats it.. ;)

In fact, I say 50% of DM is about housekeeping. Whoever can pick up the most items the fastest, will most likely die the least.. The less you die, the less time you spend time picking up weapons and armor.. the more likely you'll have more health and armor and a better weapon than the other guy... and the more likely you'll survive a fight. Which overall, should improve your kills per death and kills per minute ratio..

Moot
01-02-06, 02:50 AM
Quake 4 multiplayer is fun, but like most people are saying there arenít enough people playing it. Some 1700 empty servers. I think the reasons are the high requirements. Before I upgraded to a 3800+ my multiplayer frame rate was crap, even with a 6800 GT. Also the mods are hard to find. Most servers don't support auto downloading, or even point you in the right direction. So you just get some error about files being missing, and most people don't have the patients to hunt these missing game files down.

Acid Rain
01-02-06, 11:18 AM
I think a better server browser and more players would help this game IMMENSLY, because the other problems would work themselves out.And music in the maps (Q3 metal or something) with possible bots. I know you can just play winamp or something, but I like GAME music in games.

alucard_x
01-03-06, 09:54 AM
its typical quake fashion.. it just bypassed about 4 years of nubs playing, and now only the people that really enjoy quake multiplayer and know how to play will be playing.

there's been lots of good matches on the Clan Arena servers using the q4max mod.

a12ctic
01-03-06, 03:47 PM
i dont see what you guys are talking about this game runs on high settings (not ultra high) on a 6600GT in linux with constant high fps.... At least over 40 at all times

j0j081
01-04-06, 06:36 AM
i dont see what you guys are talking about this game runs on high settings (not ultra high) on a 6600GT in linux with constant high fps.... At least over 40 at all times
multiplayer? i think not. (mikec)