PDA

View Full Version : More sympathy for the Ripster... lol

Riptide
12-02-05, 09:03 PM
Well this has to be some sort of record I believe. While I'm sure some of you would think I have to be doing something wrong here, that's not the case, though I can't blame you for assuming that. I have always grounded myself well before handling any component and have treated all of these items with kit gloves.

3/4 kits of RAM. Defective. Brand new. From newegg.

I've purchased 3 kits of OCZ PC3200EL Revision 2. 512MBx2. One of two DIMMs would not work in dual channel on my wife's then A8V system. The DIMMs apart would pass memtest, together they failed. Didn't matter which slot each DIMM was in or how much vDIMM I juiced it with. Replaced that kit, problem solved. Another kit had the same problem with my old Abit AV8 when I put that machine together. An exchange also fixed it. Same symptoms.

Purchased a kit of OCZ PC3200EL 1GBx2. Would not POST with one of the two sticks installed. Again vDIMM nor slot made any difference. Replaced that kit, problem solved.

Last week I purchased a kit of GSKILL PC3200 2x1GB (2-3-2) memory for a friend of mine. They won't pass memtest. One stick by itself will pass, the other will not. Also fails Prime with both of them installed.

I dare anyone to find me a logical explanation for this. It really is bordering on the supernatural. I'm dead serious. A friend of mine thinks it's because I'm not a believer in God. While I'm skeptical about that I have to say: this makes me wonder.

Roadhog
12-02-05, 09:17 PM
rofl, maybe its your psu?

CaptNKILL
12-02-05, 09:42 PM
Oh my f***ing god dude... at this point, I wonder if its your system or your house, or aliens.

Maybe its you... my dad couldnt wear watches because they would stop if he wore them for a while. Maybe youve got a similar thing with RAM :o

Riptide
12-02-05, 09:45 PM
I've had more than one power supply. When I got the first kit of 3200EL Rev. 2 it was a PCP&C 510 Deluxe. And if it were the power supply then the exchanges wouldn't fix it. But they always have so far.

It can't be the system. The second defective kit of 3200EL Rev. 2 went into a whole other machine. And this latest GSKILL that was bad - that was in a friend's Abit IC7.

CaptNKILL
12-02-05, 09:50 PM
I've had more than one power supply. When I got the first kit of 3200EL Rev. 2 it was a PCP&C 510 Deluxe. And if it were the power supply then the exchanges wouldn't fix it. But they always have so far.

It can't be the system. The second defective kit of 3200EL Rev. 2 went into a whole other machine. And this latest GSKILL that was bad - that was in a friend's Abit IC7.
Thats just terrible man... maybe you should just give up and go back to EDO... (xmastong)

Riptide
12-02-05, 10:11 PM
Meh. There's nothing I can do about it short of entirely getting out of the hobby. This stuff will just keep happening to me for no apparent reason. No rational explanation for it.

Q
12-03-05, 03:51 PM
Just get a Dell.

:D

Superfly
12-04-05, 03:44 AM
Nah that'd just make things worse!!!!!

Peoples-Agent
12-04-05, 09:21 AM
Change hardware supplier!

I had a strange run of IT ill fate, turned out the storage conditions at the warehouse where I bought stuff weren't static friendly, and the particular levels on the products once shipped didn't agree with the "energy" / static build ups in my house. I changed to a different supplier and from there on I had no more issues. Sounds strange dude, but very true. Any hardware I got from there for other people was absolutely fine.

Another spin on the whole ghost theory in a sense, could also add to why "luck" itself could be simple science, especially with this hardware game.

As for changing hobbies, pfft ....your be back!

I took two years out, came back to a whole new world and was like "WTF" , didn't touch a pc for two years and the shell shock I got on return was exciting but gutting to think what I had missed out on. Although it was fun buying older titles I had missed that ran great on my new hardware.

Q
12-04-05, 02:13 PM
Nah that'd just make things worse!!!!!

I was just picking on Rip because of his dear love for Dell found in another thread. (xmasmile)

Zelda_fan
12-04-05, 02:21 PM
maybe it's your mobo

Sazar
12-04-05, 03:08 PM
Rip, I think after you buy your stuff, you should ship it to one of us, have us put it together for you and then ship it to you working.

Then all you would have to do is turn it on.

You have ridiculous luck putting stuff together lol.

No id 10 t errors?

:angel:

I keed, I keed !!!

mx125race
12-04-05, 03:10 PM
maybe it's your mobo

yea, probably your mobo and then just bad luck or faulty RAM that you had for your friend

Saintster
12-05-05, 01:39 AM
Well this has to be some sort of record I believe. While I'm sure some of you would think I have to be doing something wrong here, that's not the case, though I can't blame you for assuming that. I have always grounded myself well before handling any component and have treated all of these items with kit gloves.

3/4 kits of RAM. Defective. Brand new. From newegg.

I've purchased 3 kits of OCZ PC3200EL Revision 2. 512MBx2. One of two DIMMs would not work in dual channel on my wife's then A8V system. The DIMMs apart would pass memtest, together they failed. Didn't matter which slot each DIMM was in or how much vDIMM I juiced it with. Replaced that kit, problem solved. Another kit had the same problem with my old Abit AV8 when I put that machine together. An exchange also fixed it. Same symptoms.

Purchased a kit of OCZ PC3200EL 1GBx2. Would not POST with one of the two sticks installed. Again vDIMM nor slot made any difference. Replaced that kit, problem solved.

Last week I purchased a kit of GSKILL PC3200 2x1GB (2-3-2) memory for a friend of mine. They won't pass memtest. One stick by itself will pass, the other will not. Also fails Prime with both of them installed.

I dare anyone to find me a logical explanation for this. It really is bordering on the supernatural. I'm dead serious. A friend of mine thinks it's because I'm not a believer in God. While I'm skeptical about that I have to say: this makes me wonder.

Must be bad Karma!

sytaylor
12-05-05, 01:57 AM
Finally, someone with worse PC component luck than me...

Last count;
3 dead HDDs
2 mobos
1 cpu
2 PSUs
1 logitech z680 speaker system

Riptide
12-05-05, 02:12 AM
yea, probably your mobo and then just bad luck or faulty RAM that you had for your friend
Negative. One bad kit went into an ASUS A8V, another one went into an Abit AV8, and yet another one went into an IC7. In fact there were two bad kits that I used with the Abit.

And much like the power supply, if the motherboard were the problem then exchanges wouldn't solve it. But they have.

a12ctic
12-05-05, 08:19 AM
i usualy have pretty good luck with my computers, but my last comp was nothing but trouble from the day i bought it, im an nvidia/amd fanboy, have had them sence TNT/AMD TB, so my last computer was a p4/ati 9000 pro.... So glad to be back to nvidia...!!!!

Redshirt #24
12-06-05, 06:16 AM
Perhaps Megatron has taken affront to your endorsing Optimus Prime by advertising him as your avatar, and is using Soundwave to hack into Newegg's ordering and inventory systems and route known previously-returned-and-resealed bad memory to you in an attempt to crush your spirit.

Just a thought. :D

Riptide
12-06-05, 08:28 AM
Well short of the supernatural that explanation is as good as any. Noone has been able to give me a rational explanation for why this keeps happening, especially given how careful I am with these memory modules. Religiously grounding myself before touching them, handling them very carefully, etc.. Installing them isn't rocket science, this is one of those things that should "just work". But it almost never does.

One thing is for sure. I'm sticking with OCZ for the service. I am not impressed w/GSKill at all. They don't even have an 800# to contact them with (only e-mail) and don't cross ship. Plus it took all day yesterday for them to get me an RMA number and even then - no address yet or instructions on where to ship. I am not a patient guy when I spend hundreds only to have something like this happen, and then have to wait and wait on them.

Also, I think it's nonsense that we consumers have to pay return shipping for a defective item. It's not fair. I already paid for a good kit, THEY sent me a defective kit (which is supposedly tested, yeah right NOT), so why should I have to pay anything out of my pocket to fix their screwup? Bull****.

ViN86
12-06-05, 09:18 AM
well rip, it seems we have ruled out the PBKC error (problem is between the keyboard and the chair)

seems like you just have bad luck my friend. maybe your house picks up EM waves or interference from somewhere? theres meters to detect those sort of things i believe. :o

Starscream
12-06-05, 09:30 AM
Well short of the supernatural that explanation is as good as any. Noone has been able to give me a rational explanation for why this keeps happening, especially given how careful I am with these memory modules. Religiously grounding myself before touching them, handling them very carefully, etc.. Installing them isn't rocket science, this is one of those things that should "just work". But it almost never does.

One thing is for sure. I'm sticking with OCZ for the service. I am not impressed w/GSKill at all. They don't even have an 800# to contact them with (only e-mail) and don't cross ship. Plus it took all day yesterday for them to get me an RMA number and even then - no address yet or instructions on where to ship. I am not a patient guy when I spend hundreds only to have something like this happen, and then have to wait and wait on them.

Also, I think it's nonsense that we consumers have to pay return shipping for a defective item. It's not fair. I already paid for a good kit, THEY sent me a defective kit (which is supposedly tested, yeah right NOT), so why should I have to pay anything out of my pocket to fix their screwup? Bull****.

I think the problem is that OCZ ram sucks. I don't sell it because I've had similar experiences as you, the mast majority of OCZ ram I've purchased from suppliers has been broken.

I've never had problems like that with Kingston, which is the main brand of memory I sell.

Riptide
12-06-05, 10:08 AM
Well FWIW I've also ordered RAM from mushkin a few times and at least once it came defective. This was several years back, and it was a kit of Black Level 2. BH5 chips. They cross shipped and took care of it just fine. A friend also got a defective kit of Level 2 from them as well, replacement took care of it again.

I'm getting the impression that not only do I just have bad luck (uncanny bad luck) but that most of the RAM on the market is junk. I've now seen bad kits come from 3 different manufacturers (OCZ, mushkin, and GSKill).

Wow... just wow. I suspect that quality control is a problem for these manufacturers and that the testing they do before they package the kits up is apparently not doing the trick.

zoomy942
12-06-05, 11:53 AM
look, i stopped using my voodo doll a while ago, so its not my fault that your ram is busted:)

anywhat, i will say that alot of ram is crap. i have had troubles too, but i have Patriot ram now and she's a beaut. anyone i know that wants new ram, i alwasy recomend this brand.

Starscream
12-06-05, 05:37 PM
most of the RAM on the market is junk

Now you've got it figured out!

Nutty
12-06-05, 05:49 PM
Get Corsair.. nuff said!