PDA

View Full Version : Getting a DVD burner, how's this?

General Lee
12-03-05, 01:18 PM
Well, I've been needing a DVD burner for a while, and since the prices have come down I decided I'd get one for Christmas. I looked at a few, and so far I think I've decided on a good one. It's only $75 after savings, and comes with a free Newegg.com CD/DVD wallet. It supports both DVD- and DVD+ formats, so that should eliminate any format problems. Here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131357&ATT=CD+DVD+Burners+RW+Dr&

I was wondering how it compared to some others, including reliability, speed, price, software, etc. I was also wondering if there are any good DVD message boards around, so I could do a little more research on my own. I prefer to look into details when I purchase anything, so any help would be appreciated. I'll also post this over at Guru3D for more feedback, just in case.

superklye
12-03-05, 01:24 PM
Eh...Plextor is good, but seriously, just get the NEC 3540A. It's arguably the BEST burner on the market and it's $40.

I have the 3500A and I cannot say enough good things about it. Fast as hell and in conjunction with Ritek G04s, it's never once burned a coaster.

saturnotaku
12-03-05, 01:35 PM
The NEC is excellent, and you should also consider the BenQ 1640W and the LG GSA-4167B. I highly recommend the latter as I've had very good luck with LG drives. Plextor is good, but overpriced. You can do better for much less money.

General Lee
12-04-05, 10:40 AM
Well, those other drives look really nice, and the Plextor is a bit over-priced. I think I want to get an LG drive instead, to go with the LG CD-RW I already have. It's the LG GSA-4167B, which is only $37, supports both DVD- and DVD+ formats, burns CD-R and RW, and comes with some decent software. I don't really need a really fast drive, but something affordable, yet reliable. I'm sure the LG drive should live up to such simple standards, lol. What do y'all think about that drive?

Gummz
12-04-05, 10:46 AM
If you're just going to burn DVDs, the LG will do just fine. I own one for my sister and she has no issues with it burning on generic media at slow speeds, while quality media can burn above it's rated speeds.

I suggest a NEC 3540 or BenQ 1640, but the LG one is just as good for just burning DVDs/CDs

zoomy942
12-04-05, 10:52 AM
i'll toss me love for plextor. i have a SATA plextor burner and she's a trooper. i have also seen good things from Optorite.

chowells
12-04-05, 12:11 PM
A vote for NEC burners. Have had several and they work fine.

Nutty
12-04-05, 12:17 PM
Yeah I'm thinking of getting the SATA plextor, can finally dump me last IDE cable then.. woo!!
Stay clear of MSI, they make terrible burners.. I'm on my 2nd replacement now, and it still goes wonky sometimes.

Riptide
12-04-05, 12:31 PM
Ditto on the NEC. Best bang/$.

General Lee
12-04-05, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I am better off than if I hadn't asked, that's for sure. I went ahead and ordered the LG GSA-4167B with 3 day shipping. I thought it would be nice to have another black LG drive to compliment the LG DVD-ROM/CD-RW I already have in my rig. I can't wait to try it out before X-mas, you know, to see if it works, lol. ;)

Smokey
12-05-05, 01:13 AM
Ive got the older LG4160b, and I dont have any problems with it at all. The most important thing to remember, is to buy good discs when burning, no matter which burner you use.

CaptNKILL
12-05-05, 01:19 AM
Another NEC vote here... know lots of people using their burners, and Im using a 19" NEC CRT. Great quality stuff.

LiteOn is also good, though I havent personally used any of their DVD burners (just CD Burners).

Infinity666
12-05-05, 01:30 AM
Sony is the way to go imo. I know several people who have this drive and have never had any problem with any media at any speed. my dru710 has never wrote a bad disk.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131253

DCult
12-05-05, 05:27 AM
NEC gets my vote, too. I had NEC cd-roms, dvd-roms, dvd-recorders and monitors since I can remember and only one dvd-rom and one crt had problems. I now have a ND-4550 and a NEC-FP1375X 22" and they're both great. At work I bought 5 cd- and dvd-recorders, 4 NEC LCD's and 2 CRT's over the last 5 years.

ViN86
12-05-05, 11:25 AM
i never tried NEC burners. im a LiteOn fan personally. my current dual layer DVD burner is a LiteOn and its awesome. ive burned a couple dual layer discs that are flawless ;)

Smokey
12-05-05, 12:46 PM
Sony is the way to go imo. I know several people who have this drive and have never had any problem with any media at any speed. my dru710 has never wrote a bad disk.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131253

Arent Sonys just re badged LiteOns?

TierMann
12-05-05, 02:47 PM
Heh. A day late for this thread. My mom just ordered me a Sony DW-Q30A (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827131264) for my birthday. It should be nice though. No problems with my gf's and she has an earlier model.