PDA

View Full Version : AMD Questions

seeker
12-03-05, 01:50 PM
I found that my current Winchester 3200+ has a missing pin so that it is now a 938. I have been having some other problems so I haven't been able to test it, so I was wondering if this means that the processor is no good, or that it will just be less efficient?

I have been thinking about replacing it with a new processor, but there is a couple of things that I need some info on. Is there any particular version...Winchester, Venice, etc. that I should try to get or to avoid? I have also noticed that the X2 processors are about the same price or less than the regular AMD 64. On the surface, it would seem that these would be higher in price, but is there a reason that they are not?

newls1
12-03-05, 02:18 PM
OUCH! sorry to hear that. If I was you, I would purchase the 3800 X2, and just have FUN with it....

mx125race
12-03-05, 02:33 PM
OUCH! sorry to hear that. If I was you, I would purchase the 3800 X2, and just have FUN with it....

most definitley. shoot for that proc. it is much better then your current cpu for a low price. the venice core is the best overclocker for single core cpu's, i dont think winnie is that good. X2 gives you much better performance, multitasking, and overclocking capabilities...

seeker
12-04-05, 03:47 PM
I had thought about an X2.. I have two mobos at the moment, the MSI is a K8T Neo 2 939 6702E, and a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939. Neither mentions the X2 in the manuals, so I'm not sure if they would work or not. I would prefer to use the Gigabyte board, but I noticed that it gave a rating of 1600MTs which I think is the FSB speed, but my mind is quite rusty on this. If it is what I think, then that is rather slow. I wouldn't mind buying another mobo, but there are only a couple of options for a 939 AGP board. I need the PCI slots for other things.