PDA

View Full Version : Ultra X-connect

TierMann
12-03-05, 03:53 PM
I know a few of you allready don't like Ultra, but my X-Connect 500w UV Blue was working good and with stable power. I only replaced it with an Antec because I thought it was the source of my reboots on a new system, but it turns out that wasn't it and the PSU was fine. The only problem I had with it was that the UV light burned out (or so I thought) and I e-mailed Ultra for a replacement light. They were quick to respond and I got the light and fan today. They were out of blue but I said it was ok to send orange since it matches the new setup better anyway.

Here is part of the e-mail I just sent to them which tells the rest of the story...
The e-mails have a tracking number in the subject atleast so I didn't have to go through the rest...

First, I recieved the two orange replacement intake fans and ring
lights. One of the ring lights was broken into two pieces which isn't
a big deal since I only needed one. When I opened the PSU case (as per
the enclosed instructions) the first thing I noticed is that the white
wires for the light were wedged into one of the two aluminum
heatsinks. Not only that, but the rubber shielding was split with bare
wire laying right on one of the fins for the heatsink. I connected and
mounted the new fan and closed the case. After a power-up the new
light still doesn't work.

I started to think that maybe I just recieved a bad light considering
the condition of the other backup, and I took the light out of the PSU
to test it with a DC inverter I use with other UV lights. The light
works fine. I patched up the old light with electrical tape and tested
that on the inverter. The old light works fine as well.

The only idea I have of what happend is that the split in the
shielding of the wires from the old fan caused a short which fried the
inverter inside the PSU. If that's the case then I'm lucky that is all
that happend as a result.

IMO, Buy another brand. I don't usually say that since I'm a big fan of budget parts, but it's just unsafe in my opinion.

BrianG
12-04-05, 08:52 AM
Bummer. From what I understand, the X-Finity series is a major step up. Maybe pressure them to send an X-Finity?

TierMann
12-04-05, 04:07 PM
Yeah, they seem to be nicer spec-wise with dual 12v rails and all. I'm still waiting for a reply to that e-mail so I'll see where they want to go with it. If I do get a replacement though the first thing I'm doing is opening the case to check it out before I plug it in, heh.

saturnotaku
12-04-05, 09:43 PM
For my 7800 GT I bought the 500W Ultra V-series PSU. I figured I'd take a chance on it as it was inexpensive ($50) and the specs were decent (PCI-E connector and 28A +12v rating). I have no complaints about it so far, and the video card has had no issues.

ynnek
12-05-05, 11:19 AM
This is when things get weird.

Do you have to open up the PSU case to access the FAN and LED to replace them?

If so, some people will say, "since you opened up the case, you may been the one that messed it up inadverntantly". or at the very least, "all bets/warranty are off since the end user tampered with case" . I'm not saying you are or are not at fault.. but you know how warranty/user error and opening up cases goes.. IMO, from what I read, it sounds like its the PSU's/manufacturer's fault.

Side note, on the extreme side of things, this same mentality can cause rediculous onsite service calls.. For example, like a brick and mortor in store employee calling onsite service support to come in and replace the battery on something stupid, like a card swiper or something. You can argue both sides.. Its just a battery change! vs.. Its in your service contract to come in and replace the battery's for us! Plus the worker doesn't want to be liable for the slim chance of breaking anything.. (especially if its against some inane work policy)

TierMann
12-05-05, 01:30 PM
There was nothing said in the e-mails or in the instructions they sent about voiding the warranty by replacing the fan and light. I know what you're saying though that there's no way now to tell who's to blame for it, so that's why I've pretty much given up on the whole thing. It cost me about 60 bucks on sale a year ago so if they want to replace it, that's fine. If not, then it's no problem either because I have another working PSU around most of the time. The only thing said though about the difference of sending it in VS replacing it myself was that I had to assure them that I wouldn't electrocute myself.

TierMann
12-05-05, 05:28 PM
I got a reply to the e-mail today asking me to call tech support and after a conversation with them they can replace it (charge the credit card, ship me a new one, then refund it when they get the old PSU) for the same model but that's about it. To me it's not worth the effort for the same model. He's sending the info to his supervisor though so who knows.

It seems like an isolated thing. It's the first time the person I got in tech support had heard of anything like that and I believe him because he even admitted to the lights themselves being a problem for a lot of people. It also sounded like a reasonable idea of what happend though according to him. It just scares me to put the same model back into a machine after seeing that first hand.