PDA

View Full Version : Infinity

fasedww
12-03-05, 06:50 PM
What are people talking about when they say they have to set infinity on there dual core processor's as I got one but haven't installed my new motherboard yet .(xmasmile)

mx125race
12-03-05, 11:41 PM
No, its affinity (xmasmile) . If you press alt, ctrl, del to get into task manager you can set the affinity of your processes, meaning what core/CPU to have it process on. allows for much better multi-tasking. example: set the affinity for the background necessary processes to CPU 02, and set BF2 and TeamSpeak 2 to CPU 01. Thats the great advantage of dual core.

fasedww
12-04-05, 02:23 PM
No, its affinity (xmasmile) . If you press alt, ctrl, del to get into task manager you can set the affinity of your processes, meaning what core/CPU to have it process on. allows for much better multi-tasking. example: set the affinity for the background necessary processes to CPU 02, and set BF2 and TeamSpeak 2 to CPU 01. Thats the great advantage of dual core.
Ok thanks(xmasgrin)When I get in task manager what exactly do I do? I was in there and don't know what to do

mx125race
12-04-05, 04:22 PM
Say you are playing counter strike source or half life 2, there should be a process that says hl2.exe. Simply right click on it, go to set affinity, and there should be like CPU 0, CPU01, or 02 when you have your dual core installed. Good luck. Try searching google for more info (xmasgrin) . Oh, and don't mess with the affinity until you have your X2 installed, unless you already do. Feel free to ask anymroe questions

ViN86
12-04-05, 08:50 PM
speaking of hl2.exe, i run it with an affinity. it doesnt seem to like dual core cpus :(

btw, if you dont have a dual core, the affinity option will be grayed out. also, there are programs out there that will automatically set the affinity for you so you dont have to deal with it each time. its not always necessary for programs, but some programs are fussy ;)

fasedww
12-04-05, 09:37 PM
Say you are playing counter strike source or half life 2, there should be a process that says hl2.exe. Simply right click on it, go to set affinity, and there should be like CPU 0, CPU01, or 02 when you have your dual core installed. Good luck. Try searching google for more info (xmasgrin) . Oh, and don't mess with the affinity until you have your X2 installed, unless you already do. Feel free to ask anymroe questions
Yeah I have it installed, and I did that, I see how it works now(xmasgrin)

mx125race
12-04-05, 09:47 PM
speaking of hl2.exe, i run it with an affinity. it doesnt seem to like dual core cpus :(

btw, if you dont have a dual core, the affinity option will be grayed out. also, there are programs out there that will automatically set the affinity for you so you dont have to deal with it each time. its not always necessary for programs, but some programs are fussy ;)

no, it shouldnt be greyed out, at least with my intel it isnt :P for me i have CPU 0 and CPU 01

Sazar
12-04-05, 10:59 PM
You have hyper-threading so 2 virtual processors.

The amd procs, if not dual core, will not have an option to set affinity since it is only one proc, virtual or physical :cool:

Performance should not suffer because you have dual-core vin86, I have no problems at all with my setup playing hl2. Performance is actually smoother than my old 3400+