PDA

View Full Version : Which Motherboard?

mx125race
12-03-05, 07:27 PM
Well, the eVGA mobo+gfx card deal is gone, which is what I was getting. I was going to wait for Christmas 2 get it, but it's gone now. So, I really would like to spend maybe $80-$100 on a new mobo. I probably won't go SLi now, as I will be a little broke for a while after buying all this.

So I need help picking a new motherboard. I need something that can overclock some for my soon-to-be processor, the X2 3800+, and something that is stable and easy for a first-time builder to install and setup. Need Socket 939 and PCI-E. Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks

mx125race
12-04-05, 10:55 AM
bump dump

(xmassign)

ViN86
12-04-05, 07:57 PM
OC'er, go with DFI, nforce4 ultra or SLI boards

non-OC'er or mild OC'er, go with Asus. lot of ppl have the a8n-sli, so theres a lot of support out there for it.

thats my two cents (xmastong)

Rytr
12-04-05, 09:17 PM
You have been given a good selection to choose from except for a first-time builder I would avoid the DFI. Great board but the bios can get complicated with about every adjustment/tweak there is. I have no experience with the Epox Ep-9npa3 Sli but have read some good reports on it.
The Asus would hard to beat and there are a lot of reviews, articles, and forum posts which lists solutions to potential problems you might encounter. Another plus is that it has been out as long if not longer than the rest and the bios it comes with should be mature.

jAkUp
12-04-05, 09:47 PM
The Asus board is pretty decent, the DFI board would be the better OC'r, but has Ryter suggested, it can be a little overwhelming for a person without alot of experience...

mx125race
12-04-05, 09:47 PM
Can anybody recommend me a non-SLi board, because some of them are power hogs and I really cant afford to get the PC Power & Cooling because that is $200, and who knows, something mgiht not work and i might have to spend more money than expxcted on other stuff.

Thanks a lot so far guys.

Remember, I need:
A board that supports X2 processors
stable and good
something can provide just a little oc'ing
something that can be ran off, hopefully, an Antec SmartPower 400W
nForce 4 or nForce 4 Ultra
easy to install

mx125race
12-05-05, 05:01 PM
bump

read my post below to see what i need

jAkUp
12-05-05, 05:11 PM
Well, the board is not going to require any more power than the Non SLI boards, unless you have dual cards.

mx125race
12-05-05, 05:18 PM
Well, the board is not going to require any more power than the Non SLI boards, unless you have dual cards.

Yeah but on newegg most of the reviews said something along the lines of this: "Con: Well this is not really a con, sort of, but Asus never said anything about having to have at least a 500W Power Supply."

Other review(s) said:

"Other thoughts: I tried 2 different power supplies, a Thermaltake 500W and an Aspire 500W and neither worked. So I had to go with the PC P&C 510W"

About 20 other reviews said that the user needed a minimum of 500W, but the only 500W PSU that worked was the $200 PC Power & Cooling 510W. Really, i might not be doing any overclocking except for some oc'ing on my 7800GT.
Many people were only using 1 card, too.

Iwon't be buying this stuff until a few days before Christmas. All i want is something that is good, easy to install and works and will support the parts i will be using, and I know you guys can help me because you all are great, intelligent computer-know-it-all people (xmasgrin) .