PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitor Issues

UclaBob
12-04-05, 02:39 AM
I'm having some issues getting dual monitors setup.

I have 2 BFG 6800 GTs which are double headed DVI.

I have a Viewsonic VX2000 and a Dell 2405FPW. I have tried every sort of arrangement that I can think of, and I can not get both monitors to give me the happy "green light".

So I took one of the graphics cards out of the box, and just plugged both monitors into the graphics card that I have in there. The one which is connected to the left head always turns on...and the other always stays off.

I was able to experience this on both of my 6800GTs. Does anybody have any guidance for me?

Thanks,

Bob

UclaBob
12-04-05, 03:10 AM
Nevermind...after I posted, I realized the "right" way to do it.

Bob

UclaBob
12-04-05, 12:57 PM
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask another question:

1. So apparently SLI + Dual Display doesn't work...that's fine. I can turn it off and on when I play games. Is there a way to automatically do this? Let me explain a bit more:

Is there a program or a setting I can set to switch to SLI mode when an APP is run that has an SLI profile?

2. When I switch from SLI to non SLI mode, the icons on my desktop change positions. They do it consistently, but I would like to avoid this behavior. Anybody have any guidance?

OWA
12-04-05, 01:36 PM
1. Correct. There isn't a program to handle that currently. It would be a nice feature for them to add to the profiles. Not sure if it'll ever happen or not though.

2. I think MikeC noted that behavior with at least one version of the 81.xx drivers (icons got moved). Some people have mentioned there are utilities that will restore your icons to their desired locations and I think (could be wrong)someone mentioned a registry tweak or something that might also do the trick. Try searching the driver forum. I think that is where I saw it.

ricercar
12-05-05, 12:16 AM
You can use an ATI or Matrox PCI card to get multiple monitors with SLI. SLI forbids multihead only with NVIDIA GPUs.

A number of us on NVNEWS use a Radeon 7000 PCI or two to get multi-head and SLI at the same time. I'm assuming that the Matrox PCI-Express 1x video card would work, but I don't know anyone yet who's tried.

bkuhn
12-07-05, 11:47 AM
So it is not possible to use an nvidia dual-head PCI card along side of an SLi setup...Damn, not what I wanted to hear.

ricercar
12-07-05, 03:34 PM
So it is not possible to use an nvidia dual-head PCI card along side of an SLi setup.Correct. When you use SLI, any additional display must be driven by a card from another vendor.

TierMann
12-07-05, 03:55 PM
You'd figure they would have fixed that by now to only include the SLI'd cards if not support dual monitors with SLI allready. Ofcourse I don't know the details on how you'd go about it, but that's a pretty big downside for some. Then to top it off, the solution doesn't go in nV's pocket because you're forced to buy another chip.

Here's a question though. Would it be possible (with SLI enabled) to set up a pci 5200 (or any other pci nv card) as the second monitor by forcing it to just use the windows default drivers instead for that card? That would save some from buying another card if they've allready got one around. If it's actually seeking out the hardware and disabling it then I'd guess not, but if it's only disabling it from the drivers that should work in theory.

ricercar
12-07-05, 04:04 PM
pci nv card ... just use the windows default driversIt didn't work for me. The Windows XP new hardware wizard always installed NVIDIA drivers and disabled the second display for SLI, whether it was a GF2 or FX5200.

TierMann
12-07-05, 04:12 PM
Hmmm. I wish I had all of this stuff for testing. Right now I've only got 3 nv AGP cards. Taking GF2 and FX5200 (or whichever the third card is) out of the inf should stop the hardware wizard from finding the nv drivers.

For all those reading this, it's not a solution :P. Just ideas that might work if you allready have the hardware sitting around. It's untested.