PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial "I'm so frustrated with this thing" thread

wnd
12-04-05, 08:34 AM
Ever got frustrated of a game because some bug, glitch, horrible design, network code, user interface, or anything like that? Blow off the steam and let them have it!

I've been playing Battlefield 2 since July. First the demo, then then version I, *ahem*, acquired from the internet, and finally the copy I purchased from local retailer. As a game I love it, but the user interface SUCKS big time.

Last night I tried to get to play online. I launched the game and clicked "Log in". Waited, waited and waited. I suppose the authentication/statistics server is down again. Waited there, looking and this fancy "2" spin around and around and around. Waiting. After some time it gave up and let me in. I picked a server and joined the game. What, no rank nor unlocks? Disconnect... Game locks up. I cannot Alt-Tab to Windos, cannot Ctrl-Alt-Del -> type bf -> press alt-e -> press enter to kill the game. Press reset.

Reboot back to Windos, start the game, log in. Wait wait wait. Ethereal reveals the authentication server (207.38.11.34) seems to talk back and even statistics server? (207.38.10.110) seems to be responding. Join a server. This time I have my rank but not unlocks. No matter. At that point I remember I'm testing my VoIP settings, so I press Esc to go to options screen. Game freezed. Like before, reset button is the only way to go.

Reboot, start the game, log in, wait. Wait some more. Click options. Game freezes. This time I manage to open task manager and kill BF2. Restart. Wait, wait and wait. Go to options, reconfigure VoIP. Add a server filter "BattleComm", click Apply. No servers available? Untick the box and Apply. No servers? Update? No servers. Quit. Restart. Wait. Wait wait wait. Join a server. No rank/unlocks. Press Esc. Game locks up.

Reboot. Start the game, log in, wait. Go feed the cat, read a book, drink some orange juice, and come back waiting. Wait and keep waiting. Pick a server and play.

How difficult can it be to add simple "Cancel" button to screens where you just have to wait? How difficult can it be to write a program that f**king allows user to switch back to Windos desktop? How difficult can it be to update server filter without having to restart the damn thing!? (It works exactly like that even if the authentication/master server is up.) How difficult can it be to have a server filter that actually filters the servers according to my options? It doesn't matter if I pick "no emtpy server"/"no full server" or not, I still have full/empty servers listed. How difficult can it be to write a server browser that doesn't freeze the thing while fetching server graphics? And why on earth the game sort of queues Esc keys? If I accidentaly press Esc during the game, I will have to wait that two-three seconds for the GUI to open up and I be damned if I press Esc again too early -- that makes me wait for additional 1.5 seconds. Aargh! I love the game but I hate that stupid UI.

There, I feel better already.

Now if I only could get patch 1.12 installed... (only 1.8 GiB and 6 GiB free disk space on system and data partitions respectively)

BrianG
12-04-05, 08:38 AM
CoD2 has been wigging out on me since reinstalling windows the last time around. I'll get random freezes, blah blah blah. Like a pirate with a steering wheel in his pants, it is drivin' me nuts.

mullet
12-04-05, 10:35 AM
CoD2 has been wigging out on me since reinstalling windows the last time around. I'll get random freezes, blah blah blah. Like a pirate with a steering wheel in his pants, it is drivin' me nuts.

LMFAO, Yeah I have a good system 6800GT, 2GB ram blahh blahh and I have to run it in dx7 to get good FPS in MP. They need a performance fix and PB. I guess its a waiting game.

Edge
12-04-05, 12:20 PM
Well nothing recently, but I've had all kinds of problems running some older games made for Windows 95/98 on both my Win2k and my WinXP setup. Freespace 2 hard-locks after a few minutes into the game everytime, and I had to jump through hoops to get System Shock 2 working for me and my friends. It's sad that I didn't have as many problems with these games on my old 200mhz back when I first played them (well, except for a low framerate).

zoomy942
12-04-05, 12:54 PM
i went SLI cause COD2 was running poorly

Smokey
12-04-05, 01:16 PM
BF2 is doing my head in also, I bought the game recently then went and bought Spec Ops yesterday. Performance is so bad on my system, I was hoping it would run much better, Im not sure, but I think it was running much better before I upgraded to 1.12.

As to not having enough space to install, have you tried that regedit thing to change the drive for the temp space needed during install?

wnd
12-04-05, 03:05 PM
As to not having enough space to install, have you tried that regedit thing to change the drive for the temp space needed during install?

I have next to no knowledge on setting up things like that with Windows, so no, I haven't. I tried to set environment variables TMP and TEMP (System / Advances / Environment or something like that) to point to a partition with "enough" disk space. No luck.

mcq3000
12-04-05, 04:07 PM
COD2 came with my shiny new 7800GT and I come to find out the freaking game doesnt even run at 1280X1024 without dipping to the twenties. The second fastest card on the planet can't even run a game that doesnt even look better than Quake 3 at decent framerates? It must be a herrendous port

CaptNKILL
12-04-05, 04:15 PM
COD2 came with my shiny new 7800GT and I come to find out the freaking game doesnt even run at 1280X1024 without dipping to the twenties. The second fastest card on the planet can't even run a game that doesnt even look better than Quake 3 at decent framerates? It must be a herrendous port
Actually, its more like the 3rd or 4th, not counting SLI setups. heh (xmasgrin)

mx125race
12-04-05, 04:15 PM
I had the same BF2 problem yesterday with the logging in. Plus I got banned for profanity in my favorite server :(. What a terrible day.

Superfly
12-04-05, 04:16 PM
BF2 is doing my head in also, I bought the game recently then went and bought Spec Ops yesterday. Performance is so bad on my system, I was hoping it would run much better, Im not sure, but I think it was running much better before I upgraded to 1.12.

u get poor performance?? - but you have a 7800GT?? - my system eats BF2 for breakfast on high settings 2xAA 1280x1024 - somethings gotta be up with your rig.....

wnd
12-04-05, 04:42 PM
u get poor performance?? - but you have a 7800GT?? - my system eats BF2 for breakfast on high settings 2xAA 1280x1024 - somethings gotta be up with your rig.....

I agree. I run BF2 with 7800GT at 1600*1200, but lighting at high and no AA. The only thing that drops my framerate down is big cloud of dust -- which isn't very nice when you fly chopper a lot. Maybe I should lower effect knob a little.

Sazar
12-04-05, 05:05 PM
I felt the same way about DX-2.

Stupid thing would refuse to save all my save points and 3 times I had to replay about 2 hrs worth of gameplay simply because I saved, exited the game and the game simply reverted me back to an old save point.

Gotta love b.s. like that :(

Zelda_fan
12-04-05, 05:41 PM
Like a pirate with a steering wheel in his pants, it is drivin' me nuts.

ROFLMAO I just found a new sig

wnd
12-04-05, 06:39 PM
Like a pirate with a steering wheel in his pants, it is drivin' me nuts.

ROFLMAO I just found a new sig

That particular line catched my attention too. :-)

wnd
12-04-05, 06:42 PM
BTW could some moderator fix the title of this thread? All I ask is to replace the first "this" with "with". :-)

Smokey
12-04-05, 06:51 PM

I know hense why im pissed :p

Ive just reinstalled windows, and setup raid correctly this time, so ill install the game tomorrow and see how she runs, I should also recieve my second 7800GT next week (xmasgrin)

The other reason why I was thinking it was the game, was after looking at the forums at totalbf2, there is a thread there about fps ingame, and alot of ppl getting bad performance even with high end setups. Which drivers do you guys recommend?

Lfctony
12-05-05, 09:50 AM
I'm so pissed off at oc.uk. First they take 5 days to ship a card I preordered 2 weeks before it came into stock. Now it's been 1 week since the card shipped and I haven't received it yet. :banghead:

johnkeel105
12-05-05, 10:03 AM
Well I am getting a Geforce 7800 GT to play Call of Duty 2. It needs a patch horribly. I can't imagine why it would lag on a new card. Probably ****ty programming go figure.

Delbert
12-06-05, 05:55 AM
...and I had to jump through hoops to get System Shock 2 working for me and my friends.
I have been trying to install this for weeks on my XP machine... no joy. Can you PM me with how you did it...pleeeeeaaaaazzzzzeeee

JohnEJohn
12-08-05, 04:12 AM
This may help you

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69958

Delbert
12-08-05, 03:54 PM
This may help you

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69958
Thnx... tried all of that, including makingan image of the disk and using deamon tools to mount it and strip the copy protection. still no joy. execute :\setup.exe -Lgntforce i get the splash screen that looks as though it is going to install and then nothing.... left it for 15 minutes and still nothing.... pile of P**

But... (xmassign) (cheers)

crainger
12-09-05, 01:17 AM
Something was driving me nuts today. I fixed it in a few hours, but still its something to look out for with older games. Anyways: I installed the original Hitman: Codename 47. When I ran it, it was like it was in fast forward, and the audio was out of sync. So I turned up the AA and AF to the highest possible 16AA and 16AF, this time the game was in slow mo, the audio still out of sync.
Then I thought, that perhaps the game was detecting my CPU speed at boot and reading the Cool 'n' Quiet levels, then in game the CPU would speed up under load and screw things up.
To fix this I disabled Cool 'n' Quiet using the Power options in control panel, this way I play the game without needing to play in the bios and reboot.

MUYA
12-09-05, 01:32 AM
I am fustrated with my job. I get 7/10 rating and a 3% salary increase?

See why i am fustrated?