PDA

View Full Version : Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe Bios update v0212 Questions?

Pages : [1] 2

Digital_Trans
12-04-05, 10:40 PM
I'm thinking about updating my bios version to 0212 on my Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe. I'm not sure if I should have concerns since I've been reading in the Asus forum boards. Since I can't seem to get the Asus update software ultility to work...I must manually create an MS-DOS bootable floppy and then type the proper command when prompted.
Should I be renaming the bios file? what should I do? (xmasmile)
The bios file name is 5N320212.ROM
it also comes with AFUDOS which is a small file that's used when manaully updating the bios old school.

Did I miss anything?

Digital_Trans
12-05-05, 09:51 AM
Well, I tryed flashing the bios and in the event I killed the bios rom.
Asus will have to send me a new bios rom chip so I can put it on the motherboard. This sucks! but, at least the newer bios rom chip should fix alot of bugs from their prior bios chip release. And come to think of it I followed
every direction to try and successfully update the bios.

wheeljack12
12-05-05, 10:32 AM
have you tried doing the crashfree bios recovery to see if you can put the bios back to the release version? Did you even read your manual? With asus,you always rename the bios? Read pages 4-5 to 4-7 of your manual. It tells you to rename to p5n32sd.rom and shows you how to recover from a bios upgrade failure. The dumb thing is they don't tell you to rename when you are doing this AFUDOS boot disk style. When I upgrade, I don't use the Asus update or AFUDOS, I use the EZ flash utility built into the motherboard.

Lars
12-05-05, 01:48 PM
I can't even installe Asus Update on my Asus P5N32-SLI, it quits install saying it cannot find any Asus motherboard... I'll just stay with 0202, no real problems and I'm starting so see ome decent performance numbers. I'm at 5067 Mhz 24/7 stable, was benching @ 5.15+ Ghz yesterday. Now I just want 2x 512MB cards :)

Anybosy seen any real benefits from the 0212 bios?

wheeljack12
12-05-05, 07:25 PM
It says updated for new cpu's. But I went to the CPU support and the list wasn't updated saying no cpu's needing 0212. Also, all of the cpu's listed are working (and it looks like pretty much all of the socket 775 cpu's are listed) with the release or 0202.

Digital_Trans
12-06-05, 01:25 PM
How can I recover from a bios crash If I can't get the bios to post?
After the bios crashed I got a black screen with nothing. I can see power running to the motherboard but still nothing posting. I pulled the second SLI BFG 7800 GTX 512MB card out of the motherboard and still no bios display.
Please help? :( I know togeather we can get this thing working again!
Group hug anyone? :)

Digital_Trans
12-06-05, 01:28 PM
I can't even installe Asus Update on my Asus P5N32-SLI, it quits install saying it cannot find any Asus motherboard... I'll just stay with 0202, no real problems and I'm starting so see ome decent performance numbers. I'm at 5067 Mhz 24/7 stable, was benching @ 5.15+ Ghz yesterday. Now I just want 2x 512MB cards :)

Anybosy seen any real benefits from the 0212 bios?

Asus Update on Asus P5N32-SLI, it quits install saying it cannot find any Asus motherboard. > Same problem I was having when I tryed to install it.
I'm still needing help on bios crash recovery 101 :)

Digital_Trans
12-07-05, 12:03 AM
Well, there's noway to do a bios recovery when you can't access the bios.
Meaning the bios won't post. So, I'm S.O.L. I called Asus and they are sending me a newer bios chip rom. Do you think having Asus sending me a replacement bios chip rom will get me back on track? :) Or do you think my motherboard is toast?
I figured since the motherboard was working good with a working bios chip the last time, All it needs now is a new bios chip rom to make it work again.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Lars
12-07-05, 10:54 AM
Well, there's noway to do a bios recovery when you can't access the bios.
Meaning the bios won't post. So, I'm S.O.L. I called Asus and they are sending me a newer bios chip rom. Do you think having Asus sending me a replacement bios chip rom will get me back on track? :) Or do you think my motherboard is toast?
I figured since the motherboard was working good with a working bios chip the last time, All it needs now is a new bios chip rom to make it work again.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I am certain the motherboard is just fine, all it needs is a new bios chip.

I think I will call Asus to get a bios chip with 0212 on it, I won't even mind paying for it, as long as I won't have to hose my system first. I just don't have the time and energy for that sort'a thing.... (mikec)

wheeljack12
12-07-05, 01:50 PM
AFAIK, you can't toast a motherboard from BIOS updating. Well, the BIOS chip is toast. But the rest is fine. The only way I know you can toast motherboards is under or over volting. Did you get the ASUS support to try walk you through the BIOS recovery before asking for a new chip?

Digital_Trans
12-08-05, 01:54 PM
Okay, Welll here's the update....

Asus sent me a new bios rom chip. Here's the bad news > It didn't work!
I still can't get a bios to post on my monitor. Infact, I don't even hear a beep
on bootup. So, forget about the idea of a bios recovery...since I can't access the bios or a display for that matter. Secondly, I'm going to have to RMA the motherboard back to Asus for repair. Word to the wise! Don't flash your motherboard unless the actual update is available on the Asus website for you to download directly from the Asus download section on their website for your exact motherboard. Don't download from any other 3rd party websites that offer the bios unless it's directly from the Asus website and on the page section for your motherboard make and model. :(

Lars
12-11-05, 12:35 PM
Any news yet? If it makes you feel any better, I just hosed my board as well, trying to update the bios....... Just sent a mail off to the retailer and Asus.

I'm getting too old for this sh*t......

Digital_Trans
12-11-05, 05:34 PM
Any news yet? If it makes you feel any better, I just hosed my board as well, trying to update the bios....... Just sent a mail off to the retailer and Asus.

I'm getting too old for this sh*t......

Well, to answer that question, here's how everything didn't worked out.
Asus mailed me their newest bios rom chip. I installed it and it failed.
My next step was to RMA the Asus motherboard. I am currently awaiting
on the return of my motherboard. I hope they fixed the damn thing.
Thank you for your update! and I hope you get everything taken care of
on your motherboard also.

wheeljack12
12-12-05, 02:19 PM
Well, I just used AFUDOS to update to 0301 and all was fine. I actually copied it off the cd meaning the program and d/l'ed the bios file. Made a bootable and ran AFUDOS with a /i switch. First time I couldn't use EZ Flash to update. My screen goes blank when I try hitting the alt+f2. One time the floppy drive ran but nothing loaded.

Digital_Trans
12-13-05, 01:25 AM
So there's an offical update bios v0301? I hope Asus is flashing my RMA Motherboard to the current bios version. I hate being without my high-end computer. I hope I get my motherboard back really soon. I got a full Koolance water cooling case in conjuction with everything needed for water cooling including a CPU Cooling block and hard drive cooling blocks.

wheeljack12
12-13-05, 10:19 PM
afaik, it's still beta but I was able to flash. I actually flashed to 0212 then to 0301.

Digital_Trans
12-14-05, 12:53 AM
afaik, it's still beta but I was able to flash. I actually flashed to 0212 then to 0301.

I don't do Beta! (xmasgrin) Only the final release!!!! :)

Lars
12-14-05, 11:24 AM
So there's an offical update bios v0301? I hope Asus is flashing my RMA Motherboard to the current bios version. I hate being without my high-end computer. I hope I get my motherboard back really soon. I got a full Koolance water cooling case in conjuction with everything needed for water cooling including a CPU Cooling block and hard drive cooling blocks.

Well, I guess Asus has different service depending on where in the world you are. Called the local Asus support and they couldn't have cared less about my problem. They even claimed that Asus never sends out BIOS chips.

The online vendor won't cover it on warranty, but will be happy to sell me a new BIOS chip for USD 25.....:thumbdwn: However they just gave me a link to a page with Asus BIOS's on which no BIOS for the P5N32-SLI can be found..

Super service :mad:

I have officially bought my last Asus motherboard EVER. (mikec)

wheeljack12
12-14-05, 03:11 PM
Lars, why not just RMA the board to them? It is Asus' warranty to cover things like this. And you followed the instructions (tell ASUS this if they give you problems) to flash. Even if you don't want to keep the board, get one back to sell.

Digital_Trans
12-15-05, 12:38 PM
Well, I guess Asus has different service depending on where in the world you are. Called the local Asus support and they couldn't have cared less about my problem. They even claimed that Asus never sends out BIOS chips.

The online vendor won't cover it on warranty, but will be happy to sell me a new BIOS chip for USD 25.....:thumbdwn: However they just gave me a link to a page with Asus BIOS's on which no BIOS for the P5N32-SLI can be found..

Super service :mad:

I have officially bought my last Asus motherboard EVER. (mikec)

Support and service are solid in the U.S. I'm sorry these guys are treating you like a number.
If you give me sometime I migh be able to help you here in America.

wheeljack12
12-16-05, 09:25 PM
I ran into one problem. You can't use the silicon image sata controller and the nvidia one at the same in certain cases. I was using 2 plextor dvd-writers, one on the nvidia controller and one on the silicon image. Mainly because Asus has another engineering flaw that goes along with the EZ plug you had there Digital Trans. Port 1 of the Nvidia sata controller can't be used when a 7800 gtx 256mb is installed. It's completely covered and can't have a sata cable plugged into it. And port 2 has to have the plug pushing against the video card. So, I have one dvd writer on port 2 and my two hard drives on ports 3 and 4. Anyways, back to the problem. When you try to make the silicon image drive bootable, the pc freezes. This is common on secondary sata controllers (additional to the main set used for the chipset I mean)on other motherboards I have tried so this is nothing new. But when you use the dvd writer on the nvidia controller while another drive is attached to silicon image controller, you get a slight booting sound from the drive then freezing. I found out later through tests along with trial and error that the Silicon image controller when it had a drive attached stopped the bootability of the Nvidia sata controller dvd writer. So, if you looking to have a 5th or 6th sata drive using the silicon image controller for a drive, you may want to reconsider.

Lars
12-17-05, 04:11 AM
Support and service are solid in the U.S. I'm sorry these guys are treating you like a number.
If you give me sometime I migh be able to help you here in America.

Thanks buddy. The retailer wouldn't accept rma, they did offer me that I could buy a new bios for USD 25.00, but then later found out they couldn't supply one regardless.

Asus local support (Nordic) didn't offer any help what so ever, and the guy even had the nerve to tell me that Asus never sends out any BIOS ever, anywhere in the world.... I simply cannot believe how poor the service is.

Fortunately loosing the money isn't really a problem for me, actually I feel the worst about my wife, since she bought the motherboard for me as a birthday present. But www.alternate.de and Asus will never see any of my money again, that's for sure.

wheeljack12
12-17-05, 01:45 PM
Digital Trans (somewhat) and I are referring to Asus having you send back the whole board to them directly and not to the retailer. Won't the Nordic Asus support allow RMA directly? You would only pay one way shipping for it more than likely.

Lars
12-18-05, 01:13 AM
Digital Trans (somewhat) and I are referring to Asus having you send back the whole board to them directly and not to the retailer. Won't the Nordic Asus support allow RMA directly? You would only pay one way shipping for it more than likely.

Nope, they won't let me RMA the board. They say contact the retailer...

Digital_Trans
12-18-05, 10:59 AM
Nope, they won't let me RMA the board. They say contact the retailer...

Try working directly with the U.S. Asus rma dept. Last but least, you could always buy my Gigabyte motherboard I'm selling.
Here's the direct url link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6831631265&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
It's fully loaded and supports Intel processors.