PDA

View Full Version : SLI problem

Pages : [1] 2

fasedww
12-04-05, 11:03 PM
Well I got a new motherboard DFI Expert, And a New power supply OCZadjsli 600 watt, Guess what can't run two video cards, when it trys to get into windows just reboots and stuff, I'm running one card fine. Got my 170 operton running at 2.5mhz. Damn when I get that PCPC 1000 watt this thursday and have the same problem. I'll cry. Did the same on my A8n SLI would shut down on fear with two cards. Well with the asus board sli would work in alot of games. but fear. With this board I can't get into windows just loses signal and reboots but hangs. It's got to be a power problem Right?:surrender

ViN86
12-04-05, 11:31 PM
both of the cards work perfectly fine by themselves?

600W should be enough... let alone 1000W :eek:

Rytr
12-04-05, 11:48 PM
Your psu should be enough. If your board has the molex power connection on board be sure you have a 12V line connected to it when running SLI.

Muppet
12-05-05, 01:32 AM
Your psu should be enough. If your board has the molex power connection on board be sure you have a 12V line connected to it when running SLI.
The motherboard has a 4 pin floppy connector just above the first PCI-E X16 slot.Yes i'd check to make sure it's pluged in also.Pretty cool board, i just got one myself and are going to use it for my lan rig

jAkUp
12-05-05, 01:34 AM
Does your OCZ PSU have the 8 pin connector?

Muppet
12-05-05, 01:54 AM
Does your OCZ PSU have the 8 pin connector?
Yeah sure does, all the new ones do but you can split them into 2 x 4 or leave them joined up

KickAssCop
12-05-05, 02:43 AM
Have you tried w/ a single ram module. Its amazing how ram can screw many things up.

fasedww
12-05-05, 06:49 AM
both of the cards work perfectly fine by themselves?

600W should be enough... let alone 1000W :eek:
Yes done that

fasedww
12-05-05, 06:51 AM
Does your OCZ PSU have the 8 pin connector?yeah it's plugged in also the flobby one is too above the first video card.

fasedww
12-05-05, 06:52 AM
Have you tried w/ a single ram module. Its amazing how ram can screw many things up.No I'm going to try that tonight.

fasedww
12-05-05, 08:33 PM
No I'm going to try that tonight.yeah my crucial won't run 1T in slots 1/3 gets all kinds of errors at 400mhz. ddr, So I have some Gskill 2 512 megs pc 4400 they would get errors to in slots 1/3 because of that is where 1T is standard, put the Gskill in 2/4 everything cool at 258mhz 1/1 mem ratio, but its at 2T in 2/4, Anyways everything runs cool, OK so I put the other video card in post goes to windows XP then bam screen goes black no video signal computer still running have to hit reset, starts all over same thing. But if I disable the dual card in bios from 8-4-nc-8 to the other one thats single video card, and leave the two cards in it will go into windows. But doesn't seem as stable got a microsoft error right away, Both video cards work though tried each one all buy itself.:(

Muppet
12-05-05, 10:49 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/CraigCooper/PICT0554.jpgMake sure the Ram is in the Orange slots, don't use the Yellow ones, i also couldn't get my machine to boot if they where in the Yellow slots.There is an option in the Bios to force 1T timings

fasedww
12-05-05, 11:07 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/CraigCooper/PICT0554.jpgMake sure the Ram is in the Orange slots, don't use the Yellow ones, i also couldn't get my machine to boot if they where in the Yellow slots.There is an option in the Bios to force 1T timings
Put my crucial tracer balllastic's in the slots 2/4 with 2t, 34410 at 245mhz. booted and went into windows but when i went to go back into the bios wouldn't boot just beeps ram is no good, I mean it's rated for 250mhz, used to work at that at 1t in my asus a8n sli, I'm going to send them in for a replacment. damn things cost 350.00 now even for a 2 gig kit, lifetime replacement though so they have to replace them. calling them tommorrow. I want 2 gigs in my system. (mikec)

Muppet
12-05-05, 11:14 PM
Put my crucial tracer balllastic's in the slots 2/4 with 2t, 34410 at 245mhz. booted and went into windows but when i went to go back into the bios wouldn't boot just beeps ram is no good, I mean it's rated for 250mhz, used to work at that at 1t in my asus a8n sli, I'm going to send them in for a replacment. damn things cost 350.00 now even for a 2 gig kit, lifetime replacement though so they have to replace them. calling them tommorrow. I want 2 gigs in my system. (mikec)
What voltage are they running at, because the bios runs it at 2.6 which wasn't stable for me at all, couldn't even install the OS at those settings.I bumped it up to 2.8 and run the ram at FSB 260 and is running sweet

KickAssCop
12-05-05, 11:32 PM
I am pretty sure ram is making your system go bonkers. You have a DFI, best to use either OCZ or Corsair ram with that motherboard (or so I have heard). Also try to run computer at stock speeds first and then see if your video cards are stable. Also for now, I would first check all other components and put ram to highest timings w/ 2T clocks to see if it is NOT a board issue running 2 512 GTXes (there can be many issues with boards, especially DFI). Just a thought. Hope this helps.

Muppet
12-05-05, 11:42 PM
Check the voltage on your Ram in the Bios, it really did wonders for me

fasedww
12-06-05, 06:21 PM
What voltage are they running at, because the bios runs it at 2.6 which wasn't stable for me at all, couldn't even install the OS at those settings.I bumped it up to 2.8 and run the ram at FSB 260 and is running sweetI tried 2.8 doesn't matter

fasedww
12-06-05, 06:31 PM
I am pretty sure ram is making your system go bonkers. You have a DFI, best to use either OCZ or Corsair ram with that motherboard (or so I have heard). Also try to run computer at stock speeds first and then see if your video cards are stable. Also for now, I would first check all other components and put ram to highest timings w/ 2T clocks to see if it is NOT a board issue running 2 512 GTXes (there can be many issues with boards, especially DFI). Just a thought. Hope this helps.Have did that stock speeds, Either it's power supply not efficient enough, or motherboard is faulty, runs one find, the memory I got in now 2 512 GSkill PC 4400 is really stable, computer works great now, everything dialed in. just when I put the other card in and set dual card in the bios 8-nc-8 and see the XP screen but when it's suppose to go into windows then it just goes blank no signal, but computer is still running. These cards did work together on my asus board but had shutdown problems when playing fear. Did the same on the asus with this power supply also. probally was that crucial memory back then. I got a pcpc 1000 watt coming thursday if it still does this, I'm replacing this motherboard, If it still does it Maybe these cards just won't work together, they do by themselfs I know, But they where runing together on the asus. Just driving me crazy, I'll get there sooner or later.(xmastong)

KickAssCop
12-06-05, 11:20 PM
So... when you selling the 512 for cheap yo... you may have a buyer.

:D :p.

fasedww
12-07-05, 05:53 PM
So... when you selling the 512 for cheap yo... you may have a buyer.

:D :p.Never know ,I'm getting tired of Messing around with this. All I know I got this operton 170 running at 2.6mhz and the memory in slots 2/4 1T, runs really good. Played some UT2004 and damn played against the computer bots, I was running circles around them, kind of like they where in a little slow mo. I can really feel the difference, compaired to my 4000+ I had running at 2.7mhz. Also aquamark went from 93,000 to 103,000 3dmark05 is at 1,0200 right now, this memory can easily go to 270, but I see later if the cpu can get there. only at 4.2 volts.(snow=D)

fasedww
12-07-05, 08:54 PM
Yahooo' I figured it out forgot to set SLI Aperature to Auto in the bios. Both cards working SLI Goodness, now to see if I'll get any kind of shutdown here in the future like I had on my ASus A8n SLI on fear game. Sure do like this dual core Operaton 170, running good at 2.6 right now with 4.2 volts(xmasgrin)

TierMann
12-07-05, 09:15 PM
4.2 volts?

fasedww
12-07-05, 09:21 PM
4.2 volts?
I mean 1.42 Opps was so excited, my mind is getting old.(xmasgrin)

fasedww
12-07-05, 10:06 PM
Installed fear and ran about 5 minutes shuts off just like on my Asus A8n SLI, This power supply must not have enough juice because I've changed memory it's ok and cpu it's ok, running one less opitcal, and no lights in case. I'll be getting My new PcPC 1000watt tommorrow. Can't be anything else because when I had two 7800 256 meg cards stuff like this did'nt happen. these 512's must need a certain kind of power supply that likes a certain kind of rails, I don't know.:(

TierMann
12-07-05, 10:56 PM
I mean 1.42 Opps was so excited, my mind is getting old.(xmasgrin)
Hehe. I was gonna say, I gotta get me some watercooling and shoot for 4.2v too (xmastong). Hopefully the new PSU will fix you up. If so that's impressive though how much power you can drain with one system. Have you tried turning off the option to "automatically restart" in control panel->system->advanced tab->Startup and recovery settings? That should probably give you a blue screen instead of a reboot so maybe there'll be a hint of what's going on too.