PDA

View Full Version : Which PS/USB game pad?

TB303
12-05-05, 08:07 AM
Hi people,
I want to get a new gamepad, mostly for playing "console ports" on my PC, but also the occasional driving game, when I'm too lazy to connect my MOMO FF wheel.

I am looking at these 3 options, let me know what you prefer and why, I'm especially concerned about FF actually working in games (the crap gamepad I use doesn't do FF in most games), and good texture analogue sticks, that my "sweaty palms" won't slip from.

Here the the options:

1. LOGITECH RUMBLEPAD 2 VIBRATION FEEDBACK
2. Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power 3
3. Nyko AIR FLO

What do you suggest?

thanks!

Starscream
12-05-05, 11:42 AM
What I'm using now is Playstation 2 controllers hooked up with a usb connector. I don't know if force feedback works in anything because I haven't played anything with that option.

The next best PC gamepad I've ever used is the Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad, the plain orginal game port one or the usb version. The dpad isn't as good on the usb one though.

jAkUp
12-05-05, 11:45 AM
If not the XB360 controller, I would go for the Logitech Rumblepad 2. It's the same as the PS2, but has a better feel and grip.

Parts
12-05-05, 06:42 PM
Hmm, I wanna new gamepad too, my (non USB) Sidewinder is gettin just a tad old :P

I was looking at maybe a 360 controller or something from Saitek, I dont like Logitech or that might be on there too.

jakup if you can answer me a few questions it would help with my 360 choice though.

Does the D Pad work for most games? I prefer to use that for driving over the analog.

Buttons picked up by most games like a normal controller?

rumble?

Deadzones in the analog sticks ive heard are kinda non existant, so is it really super touchy for racing if I HAVE to use them or can they just be disabled?

If some of those are no, what are the chances of MS releasing a driver that will enable all of that stuff?

Roliath
12-05-05, 07:29 PM
I recently bought one of those Logitech Rumblepad 2 (cordless version), and it simply kicks ass!

a12ctic
12-05-05, 08:08 PM
keyboard+mouse=beter than game pad for anything

jAkUp
12-06-05, 12:41 AM
Hmm, I wanna new gamepad too, my (non USB) Sidewinder is gettin just a tad old :P

I was looking at maybe a 360 controller or something from Saitek, I dont like Logitech or that might be on there too.

jakup if you can answer me a few questions it would help with my 360 choice though.

Does the D Pad work for most games? I prefer to use that for driving over the analog.

Buttons picked up by most games like a normal controller?

rumble?

Deadzones in the analog sticks ive heard are kinda non existant, so is it really super touchy for racing if I HAVE to use them or can they just be disabled?

If some of those are no, what are the chances of MS releasing a driver that will enable all of that stuff?

The Dpad works fine in NFS, you just have to configure the game to use that control

Yes, all the buttons are picked up.

The gampad supports rumble, but the drivers don't work with it yet. Microsoft promises to fix it...

hmmm... well, its not super touchy, no more so than any other analog stick i have used (ps2, xbox)

Slyder
12-06-05, 12:57 AM
keyboard+mouse=beter than game pad for anything

So you prefer keyboard and mouse for games like Fifa, GTA series and driving games ? :confused:

Your one of the few m8y... :D

Back on topic... Logitech Rumblepad 2 all the way... ;)

CaptNKILL
12-06-05, 01:11 AM
Im using some original Playstation controllers (with analog sticks and force feedback) and they work great. You can get the adapters on ebay dirt cheap and they dont even need drivers in windows XP :)

Parts
12-06-05, 01:47 AM
The Dpad works fine in NFS, you just have to configure the game to use that control

Yes, all the buttons are picked up.

The gampad supports rumble, but the drivers don't work with it yet. Microsoft promises to fix it...

hmmm... well, its not super touchy, no more so than any other analog stick i have used (ps2, xbox)

Awesome, thanks a lot.

a12ctic
12-06-05, 08:16 AM
So you prefer keyboard and mouse for games like Fifa, GTA series and driving games ? :confused:

Your one of the few m8y... :D

Back on topic... Logitech Rumblepad 2 all the way... ;)
sorry i would NEVER EVER EVER play a sports game on my computer, yes, i do prefer it for gta

wheeljack12
12-06-05, 10:23 AM
Logitech Rumblepad 2. Got it as soon as Madden 06 came out.

TB303
12-06-05, 12:14 PM
sorry i would NEVER EVER EVER play a sports game on my computer, yes, i do prefer it for gta

Actually I liked playing GTA (all of them) on the computer with mouse and keyboard - it's still a shooting game, so aiming is still important.