PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft and their backward compatibility

wheeljack12
12-05-05, 11:40 AM
http://news.softpedia.com/news/DirectX-10-and-so-it-ends-7762.shtml

CaptNKILL
12-05-05, 12:12 PM
I saw this the other day... I dont know what to think of it really. I know MS wouldnt do anything thatd kill performance for all previous DirectX programs (no one would buy that), but I also know that this is probably true.

Im not real worried about it myself, they arent the richest company for nothing... they probably have a solution that will cause minimal problems yet increase performance for future software.

Edge
12-05-05, 01:13 PM
Wow, as if older games didn't already have problems running under new OSes. DX10 seems almost more like a bane on gaming rather than an upgrade. One of the nice things about gaming on a PC is that you're supposed to be able to play all the great games that were previously released for it...now everything made before DX10 will have to use some kind of software layer to even run? And what about DX10 games, will they ONLY be playable in Vista since from the sound of it all previous versions of Windows will be stuck with DX9?

It just seems like they're doing the exact opposite of what they say they want to do with Vista, which is make it a viable game platform. I wouldn't call it much of a game platform if it can't even run games like Half-life 2, Far Cry, or Battlefield 2 well.

Im not real worried about it myself, they arent the richest company for nothing... they probably have a solution that will cause minimal problems
You haven't seen the Xbox 360's backwards compatability I take it :rolleyes:

Q
12-05-05, 01:18 PM
Heh....this thread is funny.

Backwards compatibility would imply that they have compatibility with older games....
BUT
Backward (notice missing "S") compatibility means the compatibility SUCKS!!!!!!1111!One

HA! Wheeljack, was that a typo, or just a VERY clever thread name? I vote the latter!

SCORE! (xmasgrin)

CaptNKILL
12-05-05, 01:27 PM
You haven't seen the Xbox 360's backwards compatability I take it :rolleyes:
Heh, youre right. I forgot about that. Now Im worried :(

lumpyhed
12-05-05, 02:46 PM
From IGN:
Hey guys, we got in touch with the folks at Microsoft because none of us could believe that they would do that and the response I got was that the article in question was incorrect. The referenced this one which should provide all of the correct stuff. Vista will ship with DX10 and DX9 which has all of the backwards compatibility so you'll still be able to play all of your old games.

You'll notice the first article that everyone is freaking out about was written on September 6th of this year and is a bit out of date.

Hope that helps a little.

http://www.thezbuffer.com/articles/280.aspx

TierMann
12-05-05, 03:08 PM
I thought there were rumors of emulation for older DX games in Vista a while back. There was a thread about DX10 not supporting DX9 and under somewhere here.

nemecb
12-05-05, 03:36 PM
Maybe MS is going to do all 3d emulated so they can kill both OpenGL and DirectX and then people will have to buy an XBox 360 if they want to game.(xmasgrin)

Q
12-05-05, 03:37 PM
Maybe MS is going to do all 3d emulated so they can kill both OpenGL and DirectX and then people will have to buy an XBox 360 if they want to game.(xmasgrin)

Stop. Giving. Them. Ideas.

$n][pErMan
12-05-05, 11:07 PM
MS would be stupid to not gear toward gamers... would leave the door even more open for other OS's like Linux and such. The gaming market is pretty big.. I doubt MS would let go of that for something so stupid and easy to fix.

Q
12-05-05, 11:48 PM
[pErMan']MS is stupid

You people here getting your tenses messed up.

The proper usage is reflected in the quote. (xmasgrin)

retsam
12-06-05, 12:26 AM
to me this sounds like m$ isnt going to overrwrite dx9.x with dx10 ...there going to coexsist toghter. sort of like how dx9x co exsistes with opengl.

Q
12-06-05, 12:42 AM
to me this sounds like m$ isnt going to overrwrite dx9.x with dx10 ...there going to coexsist toghter. sort of like how dx9x co exsistes with opengl.

That's the impression I've been getting, too. I hope everything that they are saying about DX10 is true. It's MS, I know, but sometimes even they pull through.

a12ctic
12-06-05, 12:42 AM
Direct X is for noobs, we use nvidia, why not use opengl?

retsam
12-06-05, 12:49 AM
Direct X is for noobs, we use nvidia, why not use opengl?
what the hell are you talking about... go program dx and then come back and comment...even thoe im ever critical of m$ i do have to say they have done a wonderfull job with dx. they have come from nowhere a few years ago to what it is now... please come back when you have a clue...

Rakeesh
12-06-05, 01:27 AM
Hmm...will dx10 be available for win xp?

If not, that will create a big rift in the PC gaming industry.

saturnotaku
12-06-05, 05:20 AM
Hmm...will dx10 be available for win xp?

If not, that will create a big rift in the PC gaming industry.

It will have to be in some form or another. I bet MS will release a "lite" version of it that will allow games to be run but not have any of the other functionality Vista will require.

Greg
12-06-05, 08:09 AM
That article is a bunch of nonsense. Please just ignore media vomit like this. You can already run DirectX 9 games under Vista beta, 32bit version (since 64bit drivers are less than scarce). What MS means about DX10 not being compatible with DX9 or some misquoted statement is that DX10 is a new code base that doesnt contain chunks of DX9. DX9 will either exist in its current form, or under emulation of DX10, or something that will not greatly effect performance since MS will push Vista as a gaming platform. Those 360 controllers are just the start. MS knows that competing with Sony will be a challenge on the console front, but getting some of the 500million PC users to play games is also a good way to dominate.

a12ctic
12-06-05, 09:20 AM
what the hell are you talking about... go program dx and then come back and comment...even thoe im ever critical of m$ i do have to say they have done a wonderfull job with dx. they have come from nowhere a few years ago to what it is now... please come back when you have a clue...
Do you have any idea how many more fetures opengl has over dx? OpenGL gets me on multi-platform, but I still use opengl in windows...