PDA

View Full Version : so ANOTHER plextor drive went bad at my work...(jakup in here)

Tygerwoody
12-06-05, 09:26 AM
Yea I think this is like the 30th drive in just this past year that has went bad. I bet we have only ordered 70 - 80 drives from Plextor this year(I convinced the boss to finally change brands). Half of them went bad. Now I have to deal with the WORST customer service ever. PLEXTOR. Not only are they the WORST drives, but the worst customer service. I remember just a few years ago they were the BEST drives. They are just so horrible now its not even funny.

Anyway, JakUp. I heard you had a Plextor drive go bad a while ago(so suprised). Have they finally shipped you back your drive? It usually takes a defective drive 1 1/2 to 2 months to be replaced from them(that is if you get the RMA, which is near impossible. Then you have to worry about them losing it).

PLEXTOR :thumbdwn:

P.S please no comments about "you must have bad luck, because all the Plextor drives i have are great!". You're an idiot that should be punched in the face. You don't get "unlucky" for 30 drives out of 70. Plextor is absolute CRAP. Long live Lite-On!

CaptNKILL
12-06-05, 09:36 AM
What a shame, I remember hearing great things about Plextor drives for a lonnggg time. The past year or two Ive been hearing nothing but BAD things.

What happened? :confused:

AthlonXP1800
12-06-05, 09:48 AM
I am surprised 30 Plextor drives gone bad, I wonder what model it was and the PSU brand and model where 30 drives gone bad? I had Plextor drive, it worked great. It either possible 30 drives gone bad could caused by too much overburns or PSU spike/surge

AthlonXP1800
12-06-05, 09:52 AM
What happened? :confused:

Yeah I am wonder what happened as I never heard bad things about Plextor, you probably dont know that Plextor is the world largest CD & DVD drive manufacturer.

Tygerwoody
12-06-05, 11:18 AM
I am surprised 30 Plextor drives gone bad, I wonder what model it was and the PSU brand and model where 30 drives gone bad? I had Plextor drive, it worked great. It either possible 30 drives gone bad could caused by too much overburns or PSU spike/surge
These drives are the ONLY drives that have ever died in this company(not even the stock HP drives ever die! Which are btw Lite On). No, it was not PSU spike/surge. If that was true other things would be messed up and not singled out to Plextor drives. These drives are also not in the same building, they are in different offices but all in all most of them die. This is also an assortment of different model numbers, its not just singled out to one. They are truely junk and I'm glad we do not buy them anymore.

Again I do acknowledge that Plextor use to be a great company with great drives. They just aren't that now.

Riptide
12-06-05, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't buy one based off your experience. And I won't.

Speaking of horrible customer service, GSKill is right up there. No 800# to contact them with, just an e-mail. And they are located in China. A day after submitting the request I finally get an e-mail back w/RMA number but no instructions on where to send the bad RAM. I sent an e-mail back asking about that and haven't heard back yet today.

Horrible, just horrible. I will NEVER buy a plextor drive or GSKill RAM.

Tygerwoody
12-06-05, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't buy one based off your experience. And I won't.

Speaking of horrible customer service, GSKill is right up there. No 800# to contact them with, just an e-mail. And they are located in China. A day after submitting the request I finally get an e-mail back w/RMA number but no instructions on where to send the bad RAM. I sent an e-mail back asking about that and haven't heard back yet today.

Horrible, just horrible. I will NEVER buy a plextor drive or GSKill RAM.
really? G skill ram is good ram too.... I honestly was going to buy some back when the TCCD craze was going on. I guess its a good thing I didn't.

This is the exact reason I buy ALL my stuff from NewEgg. Sure there prices are alot higher now than they use to be, but the customer service is top notch and all of them speak proper english (xmasgrin) .

jAkUp
12-06-05, 12:45 PM
You know whats funny Tygerwoody, I have heard, not only from you about the bad customer service... but I received my new drive in about a week... :confused:

Weird, but it worked ok for me :)

Tygerwoody
12-06-05, 12:49 PM
You know whats funny Tygerwoody, I have heard, not only from you about the bad customer service... but I received my new drive in about a week... :confused:

Weird, but it worked ok for me :)
Heh consider yourself lucky. (you should go play lotto tonight, that is some good luck)

(xmassign) (xmasgrin)

Riptide
12-06-05, 12:49 PM
really? G skill ram is good ram too.... I honestly was going to buy some back when the TCCD craze was going on. I guess its a good thing I didn't.G.Skill's product is just as good as anyone else that uses the same IC for their modules. If you notice most 2x1GB kits have the same timings. I don't believe that to be a coincidence.

My beef w/G.SKill is that if you have a problem they are far from speedy in dealing with the RMA process. It's been almost two days and we still don't know where in the hell we're supposed to send this stuff. If my system was entirely down I would be getting pretty damn antsy right about now. I'm glad it's my friend's system (don't tell him lol) and not mine. I always buy OCZ and even though they aren't always easy to get a hold of you can usually get someone if you're persistent and they handle things quickly on the whole.

G.SKill's support is effin pathetic. I would never buy from them simply because if you do end up with a bad kit you're in for a fun experience. Let's just say I hope you have a lot of patience.

Riptide
12-06-05, 12:51 PM
Heh consider yourself lucky. (you should go play lotto tonight, that is some good luck)LOL he's pretty lucky alright. I can't think of any CPUs he's bought that didn't overclock OK. jAkUp did you ever get any duds or what?

jAkUp
12-06-05, 12:59 PM
As for CPU's.... hmmm... nope, can't think of one.

My Asus board was a dud for overclocking... but I didn't have that long :D

Tygerwoody
12-06-05, 12:59 PM
LOL he's pretty lucky alright. I can't think of any CPUs he's bought that didn't overclock OK. jAkUp did you ever get any duds or what?
and then his girlfriend... :drooling:

lucky dog :p

Riptide
12-06-05, 01:00 PM
LOL

jAkUp is like my polar opposite. He has the golden touch, I have the rusty finger. :D

Son Goku
12-06-05, 04:16 PM
Well, there's a reason not to swear by a company name :D I haven't had problems with Plextor, but my drive from them is a CD-RW 4/2/20, which was incidently the very first CD-RW drive they ever made back in 1998. The thing still runs like a champ, and doesn't show signs that it will die soon. Naturally, it is slow compared to what we have now; though with DVD burners now adays, is there really a reason to upgrade a CD-RW? Don't think there is, my DVD-RW can burn to CDs faster...

Companies do eventually turn crap over time however. Some people would laugh (unless they were around then) if I were to say that there was a day, a decade back, when S3 used to actually be considered good in the graphics business :rofl The S3 Trio64 I had back then wasn't bad... But they never did make the transition to 3D graphics all that great...

Dunno about Plextor now, and I never had contacted their customer service in the past. If it's worse then Creative Labs however :eek: My experience with those doofuses, besides Harvey Fong over in the Creative support group who would tell people they were imagining things when they heard things that weren't quite right with their sound card and read the company song sheet on the win2k drivers for the SB Live, or that peeps were having driver issues; was this.

I got a Creative DVD drive kit and took it home. I hooked it all up, and couldn't get any picture in DVDs. Traced it to the DVD decoder card, and messed with the thing for about 9-12 hours trying to get it to work. So I called up Creative, and I swear to God the conversation ended like this...

support: Sounds like you have a defective DVD decoder card.

me: OK, just so we're on the same page here, you are saying that the DVD decoder card that came with the kit, and inside the box itself was defective?

support: Yes

me: OK, so what are my options here?

support: Well if the store accepts returns you can always try to return it. But we won't RMA it. If the decoder card is defective, we don't want it back. It the store won't take it back, tough luck. Good bye...

Bleh, if the support you've gotten can be worse then that :(

Nutty
12-06-05, 04:29 PM
Dang.. I thought plexta were the muts-nuts?! My flatmate just bought a SATA plextor dvd burner, and he's using an add in SATA card on his dual xeon machine, but it just wont show up at all.. Gonna test it my pc later like.. but I only just saw this thread...