PDA

View Full Version : This makes me mad

Tygerwoody
12-06-05, 01:35 PM
I found this in a review of "The Path of Neo" crap PC game preview at 1up.com

It's certainly a different audience than the one Shiny coveted back before the Matrix license came along. When asked what he dislikes about developing games for a hardcore audience, Perry responds, "Sales! We made a game called Sacrifice, [and] when it came out, it was one of the highest reviewed real-time strategy games of all time. But it didn't appeal to the mass market. That's why there was no Sacrifice 2. These days, games are expensive to make (like movies) and so we actually NEED an audience to keep making games. We need to think 'bigger' and the people that do that best will thrive."

:( Sacrifice is one of my favorite games of all time. The only reason it didn't do good retail is because they wouldn't ADVERTISE the game. NOONE knows what this game is, and most the people who do know what it is agree that it was one of the best strategy games ever. Advertise you damn game instead of crying and not making sequel. Its a hell of alot better than making some crappy peice of **** game like The Path of Neo that i see advertised a billion times a day.

jAkUp
12-06-05, 01:50 PM
I know :( It sucks. The good news though, is that digital distrubition should help this problem somewhat.

SDinc
12-06-05, 02:06 PM
Sacrifice 2 would have been so :jammin: It is so sad that Shiny couldn't find a way to market their games. The crap they shove out now is so disappointing. Sacrifice is the oldest game that I still have installed on my PC. I don't know how Dave Perry could sleep at night.

Edge
12-06-05, 02:28 PM
I thought I saw at least a few magazine advertisements about Sacrifice? But yes, it was somewhat if a niche game. Pretty unique and different...but it sold pretty terribly. Sadly, I've found a lot of games suffer the same fate. Beyond Good and Evil comes to mind...20,000 sales in the month it was released, right before Christmas. Ouch.

OldOfEvil
12-06-05, 03:25 PM
I won an Alienware in the Sacrafice Your Computer contest.. So I like the game too. (xmasgrin)

Tygerwoody
12-06-05, 03:33 PM
Sacrifice 2 would have been so :jammin: It is so sad that Shiny couldn't find a way to market their games. The crap they shove out now is so disappointing. Sacrifice is the oldest game that I still have installed on my PC. I don't know how Dave Perry could sleep at night.
LoL, my Sacrifice CD is cracked(as in broken... but i still have it...both peices of it :p), so now I have been just copying the "Sacrifice" folder every time I reformat my machine, or build a new one. Sacrifice was SOOOOO fun... still is :cool:

TierMann
12-06-05, 03:38 PM
Buy a new copy or 1000. Maybe they'll make a sequel.

Yuet
12-06-05, 05:47 PM
It's not their fault. Imagine what they will need to do to convince the publisher to sponser to make the game. Not many development studio have the money like id or value to burn.

superklye
12-06-05, 05:51 PM
Isn't Shiny the same company that made the game about the baby angel that went around blowing **** up?

$n][pErMan
12-06-05, 06:12 PM
Hey... I have that game and never got around to installing it and then forgot about it .. lol. If its good I might try it :p

agentkay
12-06-05, 06:22 PM
Isn't Shiny the same company that made the game about the baby angel that went around blowing **** up?

Yup, Messiah. That was a fun game and they did MDK and MDK2, also good games.

SDinc
12-07-05, 01:01 AM
[pErMan']Hey... I have that game and never got around to installing it and then forgot about it .. lol. If its good I might try it :p

Can't hurt to give it a try!

Unfortunately there probably isn't any multiple player anymore. (It was awesome in it's time). But the single player is still very fun. There are multiple paths you can play and you can choose between good and evil as you go. The best way to describe it is a RPG-RTS Hybrid. By choosing your path you get different skills for you wizard, you can create and manage units that are also tailored toward the path your take. (Good or evil) And, your wizard can dish out his own damage. The graphics, of course, are very dated. But they looked amazing when they came out. Here's a teaser screen shot:

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/jfletch1-Sac.jpg

Tygerwoody
12-07-05, 07:32 AM
back when Sacrifice came out, it was THE game to test you PC on. It would bring top of the line PCs to their knees. I think I might play it tonight. It has some of the best colors of any game i have ever seen. Even now! :eek:

Tygerwoody
12-07-05, 07:33 AM
Speaking on topic of this game, how do people put "high res textures" in games? I would like to attempt to make some for this game. I have made TONS of skins for an assorted number of games, but never knew how to make anything more high res.

jolle
12-07-05, 07:36 AM
I remember they said it would scale up to a certian point, with that adaptive tesselation or what it was.. so it should look better now..
Didnt really like the game tho.. played the demo a bit when it came.

agentkay
12-07-05, 08:05 AM
Speaking on topic of this game, how do people put "high res textures" in games? I would like to attempt to make some for this game. I have made TONS of skins for an assorted number of games, but never knew how to make anything more high res.

Did they release a SDK? Are the texture files encrypted? Im no expert here, but if you can get your hands on the regular texture files, you should be able to open them in Photoshop and use some sharpness filter or add a detail layer to the texture and then see how the game adapts the modified texture. The best results are obviously when you re-draw higher-res textures but many games have limits for texture resolutions, not every texture can be replaced with a 4096x4096 texture.

SDinc
12-07-05, 10:36 AM
I remember they said it would scale up to a certian point, with that adaptive tesselation or what it was.. so it should look better now..
Didnt really like the game tho.. played the demo a bit when it came.

Basically it would vary the number of polygons drawn realtime based on a desired minimum FPS. But I believe there was an upper limit to the number drawn. Also, if you can find Patch 3 it addded bump-mapped textures. Shiny was one of the first to use bump-mapped textures. The new textures improved the ground a lot. My screenshot is a blurry jpeg but you can see some of the bump-mapping in the ground textures.

schuey74
12-07-05, 10:43 AM
The original EWJ was their best game and part 2 was pretty good too. It's been slowly, but surely, downhill since then.

karkrash81
12-07-05, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by agentkay

Bioware actually did MDK2...

agentkay
12-07-05, 12:05 PM
Bioware actually did MDK2...

Oops, sorry, my mistake. I know this is totally random but wasnt there an action adventure also called Bioware? lol You played a cyborg thru 3D pre-rendered/drawn backgrounds and that cyborg was rendered in 3D (realtime software rendered). That was a pretty good game too.

karkrash81
12-07-05, 12:12 PM
now that you mention it...i do remember a game called bioware....

didn't shiny do Giants?

Now that was a screwed up game! Fun too...

agentkay
12-07-05, 12:21 PM
I think Planet Moon did Giants - Citizen Kabuto.

http://www.planetmoon.com/projects/index.shtml

They might be associated with Shiny somehow since the first MDK is on that site as well.

Giants kicked ass, very funny humor and the graphics were superb for its time as well. I also liked the gameplay, very innovative.

$n][pErMan
12-07-05, 08:20 PM
http://www.fileplanet.com/60692/60000/fileinfo/Sacrifice-Patch-
Patch #3 for Sacrifice if anyone cares :p I might give tis game a try tomorrow after my last final. Might just install it on my laptop as I think my 6800GT on this computer is probably overkill for that game. Hell... my integrated ATi9000 on my laptop if probably overkill .. lol :) I'll be pissed if I like this game cause I forgot I even had it.... and if it was the best of its day I will have missed it :(

Mr. Hunt
12-07-05, 08:47 PM
I think Planet Moon did Giants - Citizen Kabuto.

http://www.planetmoon.com/projects/index.shtml

They might be associated with Shiny somehow since the first MDK is on that site as well.

Giants kicked ass, very funny humor and the graphics were superb for its time as well. I also liked the gameplay, very innovative.

Yup... giants was awesome... really wish we could get a remake or sequel... that game looked awesome for its time and I say it still looks pretty good now for being as old as it is.

Armed and Dangerous (same group) was pretty awesome too... had some very funny moments.

Planet Moon also did Infected for the PSP which is pretty fun, but sadly nowhere near as hilarious.

Tygerwoody
12-07-05, 10:41 PM
[pErMan']http://www.fileplanet.com/60692/60000/fileinfo/Sacrifice-Patch-
Patch #3 for Sacrifice if anyone cares :p I might give tis game a try tomorrow after my last final. Might just install it on my laptop as I think my 6800GT on this computer is probably overkill for that game. Hell... my integrated ATi9000 on my laptop if probably overkill .. lol :) I'll be pissed if I like this game cause I forgot I even had it.... and if it was the best of its day I will have missed it :(
believe me it was THE game for graphics back in the day (xmasgrin)

still is pretty when I look at it now. The view distance in the game is just amazing and how clear and colorful everything looks