PDA

View Full Version : Configuring an ADSL modem

Tuork
12-06-05, 08:53 PM
'Bout that time again when I need yer help people.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts (about a week ago), I am having some trouble hooking up a motorola VoIP terminal onto my network. I believe the problem lies in the fact that the VoIP can't connect over the ADSL modem I have (which is a ****ty one, BTW).

Would any of you guys happen to know how I can configure it in order for it to have an "always on" connection, similar to that of a cable-modem.

In other words, what settings are often required???

I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter, otherwise my mom will drive me mad (xmasgrin)

For reference, I have a ZINC AN1020E ADSL Modem.

Cheeri-o
(xmassign)

retsam
12-07-05, 07:04 AM
is the firewall on or off? and what viop provider are you using? you also might need to have the ports forwarded to the viop device. also you might want to find out if you can get a new modem from your isp. sometimes they have deal were you can get a new modem if you sign a 1 year contract. wow i cant find anything on this modem the stuff i do find is in spanish...

Tuork
12-07-05, 02:16 PM
Yeah, apparently it's a really sucky modem only used in spain and latin america... no idea why.

I don't think it even HAS a firewall... but I havent seen any setting related to it.
The possibility of changing it is out of the question, seeing as this is the precise modem the company gave me for signing a one-year contract already.

What's that about forwarfing the ports to the VoIP?

Oh, and my VoIP provider is Vonage, but I am living outside of the US.
I've already talked to my ISP and they say that doing what I want to do is possible, but it requires them to come over to my house, and set it up themselves, for which they will charge me a service fee. Bastards.
Hell, I'm not even supposed to know the modems user and password. Praise google :)

TierMann
12-07-05, 02:42 PM
How are you networked? Are you using a router or just a hub?

If it's a router, most of them will dial into a PPPOE connection for you and then you just set up the computers and voip with a gateway (ip of your router) and dns servers (ips of those can be found with, command prompt-> "ipconfig /all", when you're connected to the internet).
All that though is just if you use a router and if you're "dialing in" through your dsl modem.

Another option is to set up internet connection sharing which will set your ip to 192.168.0.1. Then you configure the voip to use that ip as a gateway and put in your dns servers if you need to.

If they'll do it for free though then all the better :). Otherwise it sounds like you need something to make the PPPOE connection for the voip.

retsam
12-07-05, 04:26 PM
ya, if you can please give your physical layout ...ya know modem hubs and workstations connections.

Tuork
12-07-05, 06:28 PM
Tierman... sounds like a good idea. I've already put in a call and a friend will lend me their wireless router (Lynksis).. hopefully that will work. More so, my mom would be happy to buy since she recently bought a lappy with WiFi.

as for retsam:
My layout is as follows:

ASDL modem -> switch -> 2 computers (mine and my parents').
All wired.

Tuork
12-08-05, 11:38 PM
UPDATE:

Got my friend's wireless router. After a few minutes tinkering with it, it worked LIKE A CHARM.
Wifi, wired and VoIP all working perfectly.

Now to buy one of those...:p

The alternative is to exchange my current Motorola VoIP for a linksys with wifi all-in-one router/Voip... thing is it's quite the hassle to send this one and get the other one.

Oh well....at least I now know I can make it work.

TierMann
12-09-05, 12:07 AM
Good to hear :) I just got a wireless router here so I'll be doing the same thing soon. We'll be getting rid of the 10mbit hub finally, heh.

Tuork
12-10-05, 01:09 AM
UPDATE2!

GOD DAMN IT!!!!

So I bought the linksys wireless thinger.... but it DID NOT WORK. *pissed off*

I cannot, for the life of me, get the PPPoE connection to be permanently stablished... it just won't work.

I need possible solutions ASAP, or else tomorrow afternoon I'm returning it and hunting down a Version4 or 3. Something I can flash the firmware in order to install the same one as my friend's.

BTW, I am using the latest firmware for router v5.

EDIT: Duh... would help to tell you guys the router I bought is a linksys WRT54G v5. :retard:

chaosmaker
12-13-05, 03:24 PM
I take it even tho your connection is ppoe you are still using a dynamic IP?

A switch or hub will never work unless your paying for 2 dynamic or even static IP's since neither a switch or hub can operate and assign IP's dynamically like a router does.

Vonage requires it's own IP just as your computer will you will need a router which you've already purchased. You know the setup works because it did with your friends router, so you are either configuring the router wrong or you have a bad router.

If using VoIP, upload band width is a must, anything lower than 256K up and your asking for connection problems either dropped calls or connectivity with the PC, 384K is even pushing it, workable and doable yes but pushing it. when I make a phone call I can see it using anywhere from 240-285K of my upload bandwidth. It can also use as little as 130K, so again...

People using VoIP don't realize what kind of bandwidth hog it can be, call vonage for support and they will always blame the ISP not providing enough bandwidth and thats true to a point if you aren't paying for the service then of course you won't have it.

My suggestion would be to get the router configured but don't use the DHCP and then manaully configure both the Vonage adapter and your pc.