PDA

View Full Version : dvi-i to component

DJMONDY
12-07-05, 08:27 AM
I found this adaptor on ebay and im woundering if will work with my tv and the xbox 360 component cable??

My tv has dvi which is component, vga and hdmi compatable.

At the moment im using a dvi to vga adaptor and the xbox 360 vga cable.

Any advice would help (xmasmile)

(xmassign)

ENU291
12-07-05, 09:18 AM
Component and VGA are both analog signals. The adapter you are showing in your post should work but I doubt you will see any image improvement on your TV. HDMI is a completely different type of interface. It is a combination of pure Digital video AND audio so the DVI connection on your TV is NOT compatible. What type of TV do you have? I find it wierd that if does not have Component inputs.

DJMONDY
12-07-05, 09:27 AM
Its a Philips 32PF7520D 32" HDTV.

I know its kind of weird that it hasnt got component connection but in the UK component isnt on a wide range of tv's unless you pay alot of money for it and its sometimes on lower end tv's to make up what it lacks in picture or build quality.

I found this review on my tv:
http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/tvreview_263842.htm

And lower down the page it says,List of connections: Two Scarts; DVI jack (also for component video and PC connections). This is why im after the adaptor.

But you dont think i will see an improvement?

ENU291
12-07-05, 09:41 AM
How does it look with the VGA to DVI adapter? Do you see video noise like dot crawl or color bleed? What do you have resolution the Xbox360 set at? That ATI adapter shouldn't be to expensive so I say pick it up and try it. I highly doubt you will see a marked improvement in image quality but I guess it never hurts to try.

DJMONDY
12-07-05, 09:53 AM
If im honest the picture is fantastic but ive been told that component is better so i thought i would give it a try but these adaptors dont seem to be available in the UK.

The res is set at 1360x768.

It doesnt bleed the colours but im not sure what you mean by "video noise like dot crawl". :o

Playing dvd's on the xbox 360 is very good too much better than the old xbox. it seems to be much clearer but on far off images like someone standing in the backround they arnt blurred their more jaggy as if it needs anti aliasing applied. But their upscaled from the original res to 480p now arnt they??

When i did a search it come up with the adaptor and an ati gpu list so i thought it was only for pc's rather than hdtv's??

I thought dvi and hdmi were the same but dvi only does picture where hdmi does picture and audio?

ENU291
12-07-05, 04:32 PM
If im honest the picture is fantastic but ive been told that component is better so i thought i would give it a try but these adaptors dont seem to be available in the UK.

The res is set at 1360x768.

It doesnt bleed the colours but im not sure what you mean by "video noise like dot crawl". :o

Playing dvd's on the xbox 360 is very good too much better than the old xbox. it seems to be much clearer but on far off images like someone standing in the backround they arnt blurred their more jaggy as if it needs anti aliasing applied. But their upscaled from the original res to 480p now arnt they??

When i did a search it come up with the adaptor and an ati gpu list so i thought it was only for pc's rather than hdtv's??

I thought dvi and hdmi were the same but dvi only does picture where hdmi does picture and audio?If you decide to go with Component video then you will be limited to only 3 resolution choices: 480p, 720p or 1080i. Dot Crawl is when you have white dots moving on a static image. Let say you are looking at pictures on the Xbox360... you would see white dots moving on the image if dot crawl was a problem for you. The Xbox360 does not upscale DVD movies. The only thing it does is display all your standard DVD movies (480i) in progressive scan mode (480p). My best guess is that the ATI Component to DVI adapter will work on your TV. I have no hard facts to give you a definite answer. As per HDMI... yes it transmits both digital video (DVI signal) and pure digital audio (no DAC involved) to your HDTV through one proprietory cable. Currently I have not found any adapter that can convert or split HDMI signals to either just digital video or just digital audio.

DJMONDY
12-08-05, 02:16 AM
I definitly dont get dot crawl.

The resolutions you mentioned, 480p, 720p and 1080i are the options you dont get with the vga cable, you only get the normal res selection 640x480 upto 1360x768.

I know they mean basically the same thing like 1280x720 is 720p.

I'll probably give the component adaptor a go, can do any harm can it (xmasmile)

When i had my tv i had a dvi to hdmi adaptor with it. if microsoft bring out a hdmi cable for the 360 would there be a noticable difference with that?? going analog to digital i mean?

Thanks for all your help ENU291, im very greatfull.

(xmassign) (cheers)