PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 5.1 sound in F.E.A.R.

bishibashiboy
12-07-05, 12:32 PM
Hey guys,

I've been having a few problems with my sound in FEAR. I've noticed that the sounds are just not coming from the right places at times, and my 2 surround speakers are not very loud. I use my onboard Realtek ALC850 chip on my motherboard in combination with the nvidia audio drivers. I've noticed something funny in my NVMixer when I run the game.

Usually when I run the speaker wizard in NVMixer when FEAR isn't loaded the test sounds it plays comes from all the correct speakers, and when it tries to test for the left and right middle rear channels (7.1) I obviously get no sound since I only have a 5.1 setup. However, when I run fear and ALT-TAB out and run the NVMixer test again, this time the L and R rear middle channels DO make a test sound that comes out from my left and right FRONT speakers! I think that's one reason my surround doesn't sound right in the game.

Any ideas anyone?

System:
A64 2800+
MSI K8N Neo (using onboard sound)
eVGA Geforce 6800GT
Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers

Tygerwoody
12-07-05, 12:36 PM
why do you have it setup testing for 7.1 surround instead of 5.1?

bishibashiboy
12-07-05, 10:06 PM
why do you have it setup testing for 7.1 surround instead of 5.1?

I don't.
It's part of the NvMixer's testing procedure where they go thru a pre-determined set of testing and you click yes or no when it highlights the set of speakers it's testing for in their diagram. They assume a 7.1 set up and you just answer yes if you hear something from the speaker that's blinking in their diagram or no if you hear nothing from the blinking speaker in their diagram. That's how their "wizard" determines what set up you have.

It's just when I ALT TAB out of FEAR where I get this funny situation where when the rear center Left and Right are blinking during the testing and the sound comes out from my FRONT left and right. Ideally with my set up I should hear nothing at all when it tests for those speakers since I have no rear center L and R.

I've noticed that when I turn around when I'm answering a voice msg in FEAR that the voice on the phone comes out from the front speakers as well, instead of just my rear surrounds; which is just like the NvMixer's testing routine when it's messed up.