PDA

View Full Version : RAID 5 questions

superklye
12-08-05, 09:38 AM
Apparently, my Gigabyte board has got RAID 5 capabilities using the NVRAID controller...I've got 4 SATA ports there and another 4 on a Silicon Image controller.

Now, if I want to have the RAID 5 withe three 300GB SATA drivers on the NVRAID controller, but I also have a Raptor on SATA0, will that be possible? Or can you not split the SATA ports like that? I checked Gigabyte's site, but couldn't find an answer.

retsam
12-08-05, 09:55 AM
no, you cant span across diffrent raid controllers. but thats just my understanding. what size is the raptor? ...

FastM
12-08-05, 11:04 AM
99% sure you cant, and im sure if you could it woudn't work well.

Make the raptor your boot drive and the Raid-5 Array your storage drive

superklye
12-08-05, 11:31 AM
no, you cant span across diffrent raid controllers. but thats just my understanding. what size is the raptor? ...
It's a 74GB Raptor, but it's not spanning more than one RAID controller...there are 4 SATA ports on each controller. The NVRAID is all SATA II/300 and the Silicon Image is SATA150.

I would have the Raptor as my primary boot drive and the the three 300s as my storage, yes.

Plus my existing 60GB IDE as a storage drive on IDE0.

einstein_314
12-08-05, 11:55 AM
I think you should be able to do that. I used to have 2 of my drives in a raid0 and another just by itself all on the same controller. I'm pretty sure it should work.

superklye
12-08-05, 12:51 PM
I think you should be able to do that. I used to have 2 of my drives in a raid0 and another just by itself all on the same controller. I'm pretty sure it should work.
Okay, sweet. If not, I can just put them on the Silicon Image controller, but it'd be nice to still have that all open for future RAID endeavors. :)

And, I need to get those 3 300GB drives first, anyway. :p

Thanks for the help, all!

dandano
12-08-05, 01:03 PM
Let me know how it works out. Very interested in your results.

danh

superklye
12-08-05, 01:06 PM
Let me know how it works out. Very interested in your results.

danh
It probably won't be until after the New Year that I'll know...I asked for the three drives for Christmas, but we'll see...I'll keep you guys posted though!

superklye
12-08-05, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah, one other question: since I’m going to put the Raptor on the SATA0 port of the NV controller, which is built into the nFORCE4 chipset, then no drivers are needed for the Windows installer to see it correctly, right? Or does only apply for ANY SATA controller ONLY if you’re RAIDing the drives?

dandano
12-08-05, 06:26 PM
nf4 chipset will see sata drives auto when raid is off.

superklye
12-08-05, 08:31 PM
nf4 chipset will see sata drives auto when raid is off.
Okay, sweet. Thanks. :)